Big Archery Tom Down

Posted by: Tall 1

Big Archery Tom Down - 05/14/22 10:32 AM

I had a great encounter with a mature Tom this morning. He gobbled well on the roost and after strutting for 2 hens for 30 minutes, the hens came by and he followed.
10” beard and sharp 1” spurs.

Nice bird and the only one I will harvest this year until the population recovers.

Posted by: pre64

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/14/22 01:36 PM

congrats

Big tom with long beard and one inch spur

it's hard to get one with a 10 inch beard

good luck on your next venture
Posted by: poppi57

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/14/22 03:37 PM

Way to go Jon, nothing like harvesting a mature tom with the bow. Looks like a beautiful bird.
Congratulations - you always seem to harvest at least one every year.
Posted by: OldSchool

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/14/22 06:19 PM

Well done!

Very nice bird!

It’s funny how certain areas of the state seem to have been hit hardest in terms of population decline

Here in the CT River Vally south of Hartford, I’m hearing birds most trips in a variety of locations

That being said I think 3 bird spring limit is too many and I’m fully against all day spring hunting……let the birds breed and roost in peace after 1 or 2pm

Good for you on the conservation call for your area!

I remember after the terrible 2010 through 2012 winters I stopped turkey hunting till 2018 because my areas were devastated.

Since 2018 the Central Valley has been very good.

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/14/22 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: OldSchool
Well done!

Very nice bird!

It’s funny how certain areas of the state seem to have been hit hardest in terms of population decline

Here in the CT River Vally south of Hartford, I’m hearing birds most trips in a variety of locations

That being said I think 3 bird spring limit is too many and I’m fully against all day spring hunting……let the birds breed and roost in peace after 1 or 2pm

Good for you on the conservation call for your area!

I remember after the terrible 2010 through 2012 winters I stopped turkey hunting till 2018 because my areas were devastated.

Since 2018 the Central Valley has been very good.

My areas are wayyyyy down, in both turkey and deer, over the last 10 years. I agree that the limit needs to be 2 birds, either state or private and 12:00 cut off.
You can legally tag 5 spring birds plus 5 fall birds which is simply too much.
But that’s my opinion, and the state wants to sell licenses not manage our wildlife.
I’ll just do my part to manage my harvest.
Time to fish!!
Posted by: air leak

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/14/22 11:48 PM

Congratulations Jon! Very nice, mature Tom!

Good shooting with the bow.
Posted by: Doormat

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/15/22 11:40 AM

Great job on that bird Jon! Congrats!!

It’s been really tough this spring in my areas as well. Went to a state land piece I used to see tons of birds on many years ago last week. No sign of anything
Posted by: Buck

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/15/22 12:47 PM

Jon, congratulations on the turkey bow kill. A very difficult task to accomplish.
I have seen one lone hen in a field this spring and not heard a single tom call. I agree with the population decline.
Posted by: Zolts

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/15/22 02:27 PM

Fantastic bird Jon and shows true hunting prowess getting him with the bow. Love the pics against the tree.
Posted by: Capt_Jay

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/15/22 09:00 PM

Nicely done Jon....congrats.
Posted by: Greg S.

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/16/22 08:08 AM

Great hunt my friend!
Posted by: deep callin

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/16/22 11:02 PM

Nice Going Jon! Great to get one with the bow!
Posted by: bk

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/18/22 05:28 PM

Awesome job! Never easy with a bow, great accomplishment.
Turkey tacos are my go to. Can you share some recipes?

Re: Big Archery Tom Down - 05/18/22 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: bk
Awesome job! Never easy with a bow, great accomplishment.
Turkey tacos are my go to. Can you share some recipes?

I love to strip the breasts into tenders about 1” wide by 5” long or so. Marinate in teriyaki or Soyaki then grill for a few minutes per side, being careful to not overcook them. Delicious!
Or
Cube the breasts into nuggets then dredge in seasoned flour, then egg wash, then Panko bread crumbs. Let these firm up on the meat in the fridge for 30 minutes to help the coating to stick. Heat some oil to 350 or until some crumbs start frying when sprinkled into the oil. Then fry the nuggets in batches flipping until golden brown. Cook in batches and keep the cooked chunks warm on a cookie sheet in the oven
Or
Crock pot the legs and thighs with chicken stock and chopped carrots, onions, celery and some cloves of garlic and sliced oranges if you have a few
Slow cook this all day. Remove the meat off the bones and shred for carnitas or tacos or use the meat for turkey pot pie.
Or pound the breast out very thin, put into an egg wash then into Italian bread crumbs. Fry on both sides and season as you like. This is schnitzel and goes great with mashed potatoes and a veggie
Finally
Turkey Parmesan pound out the breast very thin, dredge in the egg wash and coat with Italian crumbs like Schnitzel, but once browned and crispy, then add tomato sauce and good mozzarella on top and bake at 350 for 30minutes or until the cheese is melted and brown