Ice Fishing Rescue Plan

Posted by: Mitch P.

Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 10:14 AM

There's a lot of safe ice and ice-fishing going on.

But what happens when someone falls in?

It's best to have a plan of action in your mind BEFORE you or someone you're with falls through.

Hopefully you have safety gear (ice picks, rope, life vest, etc.)

But, have you actually pictured in your mind how you'll use it if the time ever came.

I'd be interested in hearing some experiences with getting out alive, and peoples' lists of safety gear.

Someone might learn just one tip or technique and use it to save someone's life if the time ever came.
Posted by: seeforellen

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 11:31 AM

actually read an article where a guy did a study boots off/boots on ,he said it took too much time and effort to get them off while he could have been using the time to get out of the water,he also said the boots made his feet a lot more bouyant and easier to slide onto the ice.
Posted by: Randy C

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 12:38 PM

I read something similar about the boots. What I read also said his feet stayed warmer keeping the boots on and didn't make much of a difference pulling himself out.

As for me, I have safty picks and a 100' of rope with a boat bumper tied to it. I hope I never have to use it.
Posted by: TigerPike

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 01:13 PM

Icce is sharp, you will like having the boots during and aftter the event for sure! I don't think your ability to swim is deminished much with shoes/boots, I took advanced life saving a number of years ago, and one of the things that was stressed was to keep your clothes on for boyancey, now this was in relation to open water, since you are not swiming a long distance I cant see how taking your boots off could be of any value.
Posted by: TigerPike

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 01:23 PM

My thoughts on how to get out yourself:
focus on moveing forward and stay flat,
try not to climb up, rather crawl forward or maybe sideways and roll sideways after being half on, try to get oout the way you came in bcause the Ice was strong enough to get you there,
Most important focus on the challenge or task you must perform not on your situation...to avoid panic!
Posted by: square pants

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 01:52 PM

I had the misfortune to go thru the ice last yeat at Glasgo Pond in Griswold. I had sneakers on that day because my boots hurt my feet. I broke thru rotten white ice without warning into ten feet of water. Once I realized I wasn't dreaming, (I'm not trying to be funny here- it was my first thought) I realized I had to get up to the surface fast or I wasn't going to. What was probably ten seconds under water seemed like alot more but when I surfaced I was turned towards where I was going in the first place and the ice wouldn't support me. I turned the other way, made my way to my sled which had'nt gone in with me and kicked out onto the ice and lay flat for a few seconds. I then rolled and was able to stand, grabbed the rope to my sled and slowly walked to my car which wasn't far away since this happened at the boat ramp where I parked. I for one, with only the experience of actually going thru the ice as my scientific study, will NEVER wear boots on the ice. Multiple pairs of socks, 3 plastic bags on each foot and sneakers will do the job for me. I don't believe I would be here today if I had my boots on. It would be a rare individual who would have both the presence of mind and the actual time to get off even an untied pair of boots and still get back to the top. I now wear a life vest and always try to have as partner and a plan.
Posted by: Blaine

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 02:02 PM

I've been through too... I came close to not making it out. Boots or NO BOOTS if the water is over your head, you've got big problems. I knew I was going in after my dog. When I hit the water, all I had on was a turtleneck and underwear. After I got the dog out I was able to keep breaking the ice to get to a point where the ice would support enough of me to get from my waist up on the ice. From there, I was able to kick a leg up and roll. I rolled until I was well away from the thin ice.

For $5.99, there is no excuse in the world not to have a set of ice picks with you. I would have been out in no time at all if I had them that day. Also have a rope with you, mine never leaves the sled... This also came in handy 2 years ago on a cove on the river... Most of you have seen that video :rolleyes: ;\)
Posted by: PDona

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 02:30 PM

I agree, Ice pics would be the way to get out!!
Hopefully I never havet to try them, but hey are always in my pocket, or if on unknown areas around my neck.
Posted by: MermaidCT

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 02:46 PM

I read on another web site (www.iceshanty.com) that some people go and buy a SURVIVAL SUIT to wear on the ice. It is very warm, and if you go in you will float. Does anyone have any opinions about this??

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 02:47 PM

Absolute, unthinkable worst case scenario:

A friend or fellow ice-fisherman near you goes under, and doesn't come up on his own.

What do you do?

This would really send you into panic mode, but it's best to think of it now, and prepare yourself mentally for what you would do.

I've never prepared for this.

One plan would be to keep a section of rope, with a brightly colored, sinkable object to throw down the hole for him to grab onto, so you can pull him up.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 03:03 PM

Mermaid,

I'm certainly not a rescue expert. I started this topic to get people thinking about all possible scenarios in advance.

Tying a rope to yourself to go in after someone, is certainly an option, if there are others to help on the ice. But it's definitely a drastic, highly risky thing.

With most people carrying cell phones, calling 911 should certainly be considered right away if someone is not coming up. But, fire & rescue authorities will probably arrive when it's too late.

As far as the survival suit, it's definitely a good safety measure. I never looked into them. Any idea how much they cost?

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 03:11 PM

The good ones aren't cheap...

Mustang Suit

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 03:16 PM

Here is an interesting web site I ran across a while back - I went and found it - here is the link:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fishing_articles/ice_fishing_safety_tips.htm

ebay has some:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll...=immersion+suit
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 04:22 PM

This is what I wear, a flotation coverall, not only for safety, but it is well insulated and waterproof. Basically, it is a full body PFD. Warm too.. \:D

Stearns I580

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 04:40 PM

That's nice Bob!!!! That $300 is worth every cent.
Posted by: KP

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 05:12 PM

One thing to remember if you do go through and under the ice is to get your face right up to the bottom of the ice. Numerous air bubbles and air pockets will permit you to take small breaths. Cracks in the ice have much larger air pockets, even small cracks. Plus you can wedge your hand into the cracks to keep yourself from sinking. The object is if you can't find your way back to where you broke through, as is the case in lakes or rivers with current, you at least make yourself visable to those looking for you.

I've been through several times always trying to get on early ice. The first time was the worst because I was not prepared. However when I went through, my arms must have automatically extended out from my sides which kept me from going completely under. My one piece snowmobil suit at first became a big float long enough for me to figure out where I was and roll back up on the ice. What made it diffecult was my suit began to get saturated, weighing me back down and causing me to panic. I was screaming for help as loud as I could while rolling onto the ice. And rolling and screaming and rolling. I finally layed spread eagle and calmed down. Never did see anyone and had a tough time getting back to the car. Luckily I was not far off shore.

Now when I go out on first ice, I tell my wife or neighbor where I'm going, where I plan to fish, and how long I'll be. Also leave a large note on the dash of the car with the same info. I wear a life jacket and ice picks. I use a long tow rope for my sled so it doesn't go through with me. In the sled I have two throwable cushions, one with 50 feet of thick yellow nylon rope that floats. I also keep my cell phone in the sled, not on me. When I've gone in I first pull the sled towards me to get the cushion without rope and then push the sled the tow rope length away. Then I use the picks to get out. You want that extra flotaion in case you keep breaking through ice with the picks while your jacket and pants or suit get saturated. The entire process sounds long but only takes seconds. Pushing the sled away gives someone else the chance to save you with the other cushion and rope in case you can't get back on the ice. Keeping the sled at rope length away allows you to pull it back toward you to call with your phone. Also, treating your snowsuit, pants, and jacket with water repelent spray each year slows the saturation time. I learned all this from a Paramedic in Minnesota that taught ice fishing safety classes. He had lost a brother ice fishing and had been through himself. Preparation and knowing exactly what your going to do makes the whole experience much less stressful.

It's been 9 years since I've been in but I was on a streak there for awhile. Of course the obvious is always try to take someone with you. But I can never seem to get another idiot to go out on 2 inches of clear ice with me.
Posted by: SEADOG2

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 05:47 PM

Excellent subject Mitch - I've always wondered exactly what happens if you go through ,or worse yet,going through and getting pulled under the ice if there is a current.Having picks is a no-brainer,but in the event someone goes under and there is snow cover how the heck do you see someone underneath in those conditions? There was also an idea mentioned above about sinking something bright down -might even be able to affix a large glowstick.Have it pre-tied on the end of the rope

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 05:48 PM

Jeez..... I've got to rethink all this.....

I've heard badminton is a nice sport........ ;\) \:D

Don't mean to make light of a serious subject - this is a great thread and very informative.
Posted by: River Rat Doug

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 07:54 PM

Don't forget 911!!! Activate the emergency system. Many towns especially towns with large bodies of water have Ice rescue teams that practice for these exact emergencies. Being a rescue chief keeping a calm head in these situations goes along way to surviving. Also you don't want to end up in the water trying to save another. Now there are two people who need rescue.
Having a plan is the best way to go. Some cheap ice pics and a 100' length of rope with a large eye splice in the end is a great start. I say have an eye splice because hypothermia starts at the extremities. The person in the water may not be able to grab the rope, but if they can get a hand through the eyesplice and get it up to the elbow you will have a good chance of getting some leverage to pull them out.
Posted by: OCALA SWAMP~MAN

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 08:26 PM

Mitch--great topic and i read the lengthy article-but a review was in order...One thing in my favor---having not missed a meal in a few decades-"have built in bouyancy and insulation"...98% of my ice fishing has been after the toothy fellow at Bantam for some yrs now...and its been in shallow water.But a few yrs.ago i wanted to expand my ice jigging--which meant going on lakes i did not know well...And it was adventures on my own..Once i knew where i was going--i would look at a map. Besides what the drop-offs looked-like-i was looking for moving water and springs. When i arrive at a new lake.i always would go to where fisherman are and stay in that area and ask alot of questions pertaining to safety issues. I would always have a spud-plus 45ft of ski rope with handle that pulls my sled with a boat flotation cushion..nice to sit on also...Reading this article reminds me to start taking the cushion out again. I have'nt abandoned my spud yet...My biggest concern is getting out of the hole..i always carry my ice picks-but 225lbs+clothes{dry wgt.} and getting on in years --The$300+ for a suit that Rob.V has- sounds like a great investment.The bib bottoms and wind breaker{UCONN LOGO} thats been my outerwear for many years-cost more than $300..I think i'd feel mentally and physically alot better prepared than i am now..
Posted by: KP

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 08:43 PM

Seadog,

When there is snow cover on ice, I carry a snow shovel. Also carry a large cup for scooping water into bait buckets or pour on ice. I like to shoot my sonar through the ice to find drop offs. Another use is to shovel snow away and then pour water, or beer in an ABSOLUTE emergency, on the remaining snow to clear the ice enough to make out an image below it. Keep in mind, most problems will occur on ice 1 1/2" to 4". 4" of weak ice is typically snowpack ice but you can still see through it to a degree. Once there is 4+" of good ice, I typically do not wear the life vest anymore, I shorten my sled rope, and out comes the power auger.
Posted by: Joe Grenus

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 09:40 PM

Great topic Mitch. I know I'm unprepaired. I have ice picks and life lines and thats it. I think most of us say to ourself it won't happen to me. Especially after this recent cold spell. Everybody thinks the ice is so thick. They forget about the wind and how deep the lake is. As far as a flotation device goes I will have one with me. If I don't use it, I'll sit on it. Beats a hard bucket. Just remember nobody is invinsible. To all that read these reports please learn. I know I have learn alot more.
Posted by: Rocketman

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/20/04 11:54 PM

Excellent topic. I have the pics and carry a length of rope. I'm thinking about that Stearns suit. I put my cell phone in a ziploc bag, that you can dial through and keeps it dry and floating.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/21/04 09:48 AM

I forgot to mention, the Stearns suit has an inflatable collar, with a coiled hose attached. Very handy!
Posted by: SEADOG2

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/21/04 10:22 AM

Geez there was a bright orange life vest in the form of a full long sleeved jacket for sale at Goodwill two weeks ago for only 6 bucks.Shoulda got it!!

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/21/04 10:29 AM

There's some great advice in here to get yourself prepared.

River Rat, your tip about putting a loop in the end of the line is a great idea. I never though of that, but will do so now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by River Rat Doug:
Some cheap ice pics and a 100' length of rope with a large eye splice in the end is a great start. I say have an eye splice because hypothermia starts at the extremities. The person in the water may not be able to grab the rope, but if they can get a hand through the eyesplice and get it up to the elbow you will have a good chance of getting some leverage to pull them out.
Posted by: Captbillb

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/21/04 06:15 PM

Hi All,
Immersion suits are not designed as outerwear. They are unwieldy and difficult to put on since you’ve got to basically be able to step into them, zip them up, and pull both the hood up and the shield over your lower face. This takes a little bit of time, and once they’re on, you have all the mobility of Gumby. You simply cannot move fast once you have them on, and you’re not going to be donning them after the fact if you fall through the ice. The intregal gloves provided for hand protection on the Imperial are not all that great for grasping as they're really set up to keep your fingers warm.
They definitely can be used by emergency personnel to go after those that have fallen in (better choices now available)or, in my case, when a boat decides it doesn’t want to float anymore, and you have the time to put them on. I’ve owned an Imperial Immersion Suit since the mid- 80’s with an ACR Mini-B EPIRB, VHF handheld radio, flares, ACR-strobe, and dye markers all nicely packaged up in the various pockets. I usually try to don it once a year to check it out and also to remind myself just how long it actually takes to put it on.
The Stearns i580 Anti-Exposure suit that Bob V. mentioned is the only way to go if you’ve decided to follow that route in regards to ice fishing. Many years ago, I worked on scallop draggers during cold weather months to get my tonnage up for licensing purposes. Besides layering up under my Grundens, that option was the only one that worked if you had to move about.
Oil rig workers, tug, barge, research crews, and CG personnel use this throughout the cold weather months as it performs quite handily as an insulated garment with floatation capability. It is considered a legitimate floatation device by the CG- Class V.

Bill

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 12:28 AM

******* Bump *******

If anyone plans on ice-fishing this week, please re-read this thread.

We don't want to read about your death in the newspaper.

If you're going solo, use extreme caution.
Posted by: RJS75

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 01:07 AM

If your going out this week use alot of caution. I went stepped through Zoar tuesday, talked to a guy at Upcountry who went through up to his neck and lost his power auger.
If you have to call 911 remember cell phone calls don't give emergency dispatch an address like alandline does.
Posted by: MikeG

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 10:07 AM

Do not forget that a good whistle on a laynyard.

Now that thes season is almost over and ice conditons are failing I will make it a point to always have me rescue whistle and spikes arond my neck. I will also have my rope with "Loop" in the end with me on the ice.

Be carefull this time of year on the ice. No fish is worth drowning for !

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 10:36 AM

Connecticut Outfitters still has Polar Ice Picks in stock. They are a MUST HAVE for early and late ice

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 11:51 AM

Every person that steps foot on the ice now needs that NECKLACE!!!!. Wow, Cedar lake in Chester was crowded yesterday!!!

Who was on there???
Posted by: Tackleman

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 12:07 PM

Guys... it's over!! Stay of the ice and BE SAFE!!!
Posted by: KWK

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 12:58 PM

As everyone knows I went through last year.I believe all the basics have been covered except for one blatant omission,as obvious as it appears,don`t go alone.I did,no one would have known exactly where I was either.Tell someone ,where you are going and when you expect to return.Also be carefull around ponds with beavers!They have exit holes everywhere,especially near the lodge and adjacent shorelines.
Posted by: willywonka56

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 06:12 PM

i have worn my life vest on the ice when it was about 5 inches. Anyone have any comments if this a is a good or bad idea?
Posted by: Rocketman

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 09:05 PM

I was on the ice Sunday 2/29 at 6:30 am, by the time I went to get off at noon, there was 6-8" of water all around the edges. The ice was too soft to support my weight there despite 15-17" of ice on the main body of water. I walked about 200 yards further than I had in the morning to find a spot to get off the ice without getting soaked. The ice broke about 3' from shore but it was only about 8" deep. With the warm temps and rain expected it's over for me. I put my stuff away til next year.
Posted by: willywonka56

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/01/04 09:52 PM

Good choice rocketman better safe than sorry the edges is what will get ya.
Posted by: Joe Grenus

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/02/04 12:22 AM

What we had on Sunday was 2 lengths of 50' heavy rope, a throwable coushion, 3 sets of ice picks that we were'nt wearing. Pretty dumb when you think this won't happen to me. Big mistake! A propane touch with electronic start, every ice fisherman should have one, a camp axe and a good knife. We used everything on Sunday. If you have quad and trailer you need a more elaborate plan. Thinking your invinsible does'nt cut it. I have a year to plan.
Posted by: WhiteBassBenny

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/02/04 01:11 AM

here is an idea, don't push your luck for some fish
Posted by: The Fish Man

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/03/04 03:14 PM

A few thoughts on ice saftey. I own a drysuit for winter surfing. It is very light weight and thin. The clothes you wear under it keep you warm. You could ice fish in it. It does float if there is a bit of air in it.I spent about $450.00 on it several years ago. Warmwinds surf shop (or any) can get them. OS Systems makes them.
Having gone through the ice myself, the scare, the gasp and the cold water all work to disorient you. The panic will drown you the quickest. The rope is good and ice picks are good. Wear them around your neck on long shoe laces or a tether of some sort so they are right there. After all this has been said, take some of the other advice on the site, stay home and polish lures, sharpen hooks, and rerig your gear for next year. It just isnt worth it! Dont mean to preach, just sharing my perspective, and experience.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/03/04 05:26 PM

I removed the ice-fishing reports section for the season. I don’t want to encourage any additional fishing that could lead to someone's death. I’ve left the ice-fishing discussion section open. Until next winter, it's open water time. \:D
Posted by: Bob D (Vt)

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/03/04 06:01 PM

Come on Mitch....I still have a month of ice fishing left. You thin blooded southerners. :rolleyes: ;\)

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/03/04 08:28 PM

Bob, definitely let us know about your last ice-fish of the season. Would be curious to see how long your season goes up there.
Posted by: walt

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/04/04 12:02 AM

hey mitch i blew work off monday and fished tyler for some the ice was 18" easy with 2 snowmobiles cruising around BUT after all these reports I'M DONE rember Bantam 2 years ago? that day broght back bad memories for me. Keep up the good work on what u started with this web site.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/04/04 12:39 AM

Walt,

Glad you got in another ice trip.

Yes, the close on Bantam two years ago was definitely ugly. You could just see the ice melting, yet many kept fishing. I'm done this year.

Glad you've been on the site since 1/02. Have a good season.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 03/04/04 11:15 AM

Mitch,
I figure I have 3-4 weekends left and then I'm done. There will probably be "safe" ice beyond that, but I don't press my luck with spring ice.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 09/08/04 08:54 AM

I think this is the most important thread to bump..so here goes.

Let's not forget to use our heads when the season comes around.

#2 item to have (#1 is your brain) are those $6 ice picks. They are the cheapest life insurance you can buy.

A safety rope is also nice to have. This is my setup. I have a large loop tied at the end with a small boat fender tied to it so it floats and is easier to throw. The loop is large enough to easily get around your body. I keep it clipped to the back of my sled so anybody can grab it without searching.

Creepers are another thing. Most people don't think of them as a safety item, but fall on the ice and hit the back of your head, smash your elbow on the ice, etc, and you will change your mind.

I just wanted to remind people to use thier heads before going out this year.

I usually have at least one dream a season that ends like this. I think it's my minds way of keeping me honest and safe.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 09/08/04 10:43 AM

Bob,

Good call bumping this one.

Funny, I was just thinking about moving an "Offshore" safety tips thread to the Hall of Fame section last night. I couldn't find just one thread on it, so I just started one this morning.

Ice Fishing and Offshore are probably our riskiest endeavors, with probably wading next. It would be nice to have some stand-alone safety threads to help people out -- it just might save a life.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 09/08/04 10:56 AM

Man Bob... That last picture looks familiar. I think I took that one 3 years ago

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/11/04 12:03 AM

See this video on what to do when you fall in:

http://www.ctfisherman.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/001232/p/1.html?

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/07/05 08:28 PM

Bump.
Posted by: doulblelunger

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/22/05 02:40 AM

the other day we tied a rope to us and dragged it when we felt scared to get a tip up...if you go under and a long rope is tied it might help you find entry hole or help pull you out..

Becarful
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/08/05 01:27 PM

Just wanted to let all of you know, and thank you for the idea, we have put together Ice Safety handouts and cards for giveaways at shows and talks.

Reading this thread got me thinking about the safety of the public along with our officers when they are on the ice checking fishermen. As a result I obtained info from Minnesota DNR and Pennsylvania Fish & Boat that the DEP Office of Communications combined into a multipage handout.
I also purchased the retractable ice safety picks for all of our officers which have been issued to them. We are sending two of our officers to an ice rescue training program in Morris later this month and they are going to take that information and develop an ice safety/rescue program for our officers.

The handouts will be making their public debut at the Hunting & Fishing Expo in Hartford this month.

Thanks for the idea! Hopefully the info may save someone's life - or keep them from going through the ice in the first place.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/18/05 11:10 PM

Seeing that the ice has thickened up to the point that a lot of you are going back onto the ice, I thought it would be appropriate to give this thread a bump. Hopefully everyone will take a couple of minutes to read through it as a "tune-up" for ice safety.

Have fun, but please be safe....let's not meet by accident.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/07/06 12:11 PM

Bump.
Posted by: MattW203

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/04/07 06:45 AM

they should sell a rope later that you nail in to the ice
Posted by: MattW203

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/04/07 06:45 AM

they should sell a rope later that you nail in to the ice
Posted by: xpress1

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/04/07 01:50 PM

I saw a video by the DEP that also said if you tried several times and can't get out, lay your arms on the ice and let the coat freeze there in case you become unconscious. There have been several rescues made because the person did not sink, and was saved awaiting help.
Posted by: JMike

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/09/07 01:54 PM

Great topic, lots of good info here. Best of all, it has us all thinking a little more. But there's one point that seems to have been missed a little bit (unless I missed it). Suggestions were made about what to do for "the other guy" who falls through; also, if you fall through, getting your face up to the ice where searchers can see it (if you haven't found the hole). If someone's already fallen through, would not that indicate there's already a real problem in that area? So any searching or attempts to drop something into the hole to help would mean the rescuers would have to be operating in a pretty dangerous area, no? The main theme here is being prepared. $300 for a suit is cheap. Its not like you have to get a new one every year. Tag lines to shore or at least something else less apt to sink (sleds, sheds, etc)and picks should do it. A small detail on the picks-keep them hanging outside your clothing somewhere easy and quick to grab. If they're buried in a pocket with some spare jerky and pipe tobacco, you'll never get at them when you need to.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/09/07 10:19 PM

I've never gone thru but do take necessary precautions. Another critical piece of gear you shoud have is a noise making device. I keep a whistle on my co2 inflatable vest and keep the ice pics around my neck. A small canned sound horn is also good. The sound making device is necessary of course if nobody is close enough to see or hear you go thru. It would be ashame to struggle to get out by yourself while your buddies are in the ice shack and have no idea you have gone thru. \:o
Posted by: Rain King

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/10/07 11:27 PM

goodinfo
Posted by: walter

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/12/07 12:13 AM

this was good reading and learning. I am hearing of all the fun being had with everyone catching fish ice fishing, and i have been thinking about getting some equipment and going with my two kids, 9, 11. but, some of this is sounding scary. I dont care if i fall thru,( well, i care, but i would rather fall thru than one of my kids. i like the idea of wearing a floatation device. And i guess if i see an opening in an area to stay clear of that and to fish where others are fishing is probably a good sign. Any other helpful hints for a safe ice fishing expedtion is greatly heeded.
Posted by: mattmann7

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/12/07 10:32 PM

another point about keeping the boots on. i know a guy who had to walk a distance after his skidoo got stuck. he lost a boot in a mudhole. he decided to go on without it and ended up walking close to 3 miles with one leg barefoot. needless to say he was partially frost bit by the time he got to safety. he almost ended up losing his foot.
Posted by: buckcall

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/22/07 02:50 AM

The only tip I can give and it does work! If you go through turn around and try and get out the same direction you came from before you went in. You know that ice is safe, but the ice in front of you may not be, So don't keep tiring to go in the direction you were heading. Turn around pull yourself out and head back the way you came. You just don't know how big the unsafe area is. It can be 3 ft or 30 ft away from being safe.
Posted by: Trooper_Bri

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 11/24/07 06:31 PM

Bump !
Posted by: CTAngler481

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 11/21/08 06:08 PM

Bump for the '08 season!
Posted by: Sly Snake

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/16/09 06:37 PM

Ice is never safe, remembering that could save your life. One reason i recently joined this site is because i just got married and i promised my wife that i would try to fish on a ice covered lake that has other people fishing on it. so as you can probably tell there are lakes i show up to, and leave, for her sake. I carry a lot of gear life jackets, plus a throwable, picks, 100' rope with a soft ball attached to use as a heave line, and a collaspeable boat hook. cell phone is always clipped to collar, There are times i take my life jacket off , but i still carry a whistle, or air horn. My sled is heavy because of all this gear, and my fishing gear / grills / coolers and a lot of times, i dont fish where the fish are because of safety reasons. Being safe does hamper my fishing on Ice. After hunting season, i have 3 and a half long months before the boat goes in. Reason this is so long is, I was in the USCG in the 70's had to save and recover people, Face's of family and friends of folks lost, waiting at the dock for there loved one's is a memory i have.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/11/09 04:05 PM

Posted by: BigRig

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/06/10 08:34 PM

Thanks guy's for the good advise. I fell in today on candlewood and you need to stay calm an remember the ice that you were walking on is the safest way to get back out of the water. Thank God one arm caught the ice on the way in and I was able to pull myself back out. I had picks around my neck ready to go. You guy's save lives with your post. Thanks again.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/06/10 08:59 PM

Glad you were able to get out OK!

Truth is, I wasn't far behind you. I was heading in the same direction and never would have seen the area in the low light. Thankfully, others passed the word about the bad ice or I might have been in the same predicament.
Posted by: Joe Balls

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/06/10 11:39 PM

Mitch, where at the NF town park????? slighty right off the beach???
there was some open water there a few days ago.....

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/07/10 04:11 AM

Along a pressure ridge at the red line...

Posted by: Joe Balls

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/07/10 10:09 AM

ok thanks Mitch.....
From your pic. in the jig n pig post Looks like you fished just SW of that...
Were you headed to wear Don D fished a few weeks ago, just a little bit more NE?????

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/07/10 09:44 PM

Mitch check out Artic Armor. Every fisherman must have one of these.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/08/10 02:05 AM

Is that what you were wearing when you went in? How far did you go in?

I've had the bib and jacket since beginning of last season. I usually always wear the bib.

Luckily, I haven't had to test the suit out yet. But I've been wanting to try it in the summer to see what it's like to go in while wearing it.
Posted by: O-BASS

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/08/10 02:25 AM

today i saw two guys walking across the ice by the sailboats in the LT River area. pure salt water, directly adjectent to the river. they were taking it step by step, testing it all the way. we couldnt believe someone would chance that on a salt river.

stupid.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 02/08/10 08:28 PM

No I was wearing waterproof ski pants. Fell in up to my chest. I was pulling my sled when I fell in so my arm caught the ice on the way in. My feet and from the waist up got wet so I was in good shape. I was never cold however It was pretty chitty feeling. I will be buying Artic Armor so I can float next time.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/12/10 09:46 PM

Look up Artic Armor.
Posted by: EGGNOG

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/12/10 09:59 PM

I wear arctic armor and love it. The extra sense of safety is nice too. It's warm and very comfortable.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/15/10 12:26 PM

CRRRRRRAAAAACCCCCKKKKK ! ! bump !

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/05/11 01:07 PM

bump
Posted by: Alex1

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/28/16 10:54 AM

Good thoughts/tips. Thanks

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/09/17 12:32 PM

Good real life reminder vid here about what can happen:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPBko_hh8Ac/?taken-by=mgmitchell76
Posted by: Handberrydea

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/14/18 09:51 AM

Pro tips for When the ice starts to crack..
Step one: Keep your feet shoulder width apart
Step two: Put your head in between your legs
Step three: Kiss your ass goodbye
But seriously, be safe out there gentlemen! Im looking to do a lot of ice fishing this season and I'm looking new ice fishing buddies to go with. Shoot me a pm if your looking to do some fishing.
Posted by: Crazy Ivan

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 12/17/18 07:55 AM

Pro tips for When the ice starts to crack..

Step one: Keep your feet shoulder width apart
Step two: Put your head in between your legs
Step three: Kiss your ass goodbye
Step four: Don't get as fat as Crazy Ivan!!
Steve five: If with Crazy Ivan, make him go first!

Only kidding.....not.

Really love ice fishing on Candlewood as I life 1000' from it. Hope we get 6 inches of ice. That is safe Crazy Ivan Ice.

Re: Ice Fishing Rescue Plan - 01/21/21 12:40 PM