atv ice fishing

Posted by: spawnman

atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 01:04 PM

i was wondering if it is legal to take my atv on the ice fishing........
Posted by: buckcall

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 01:10 PM

Welcome aboard. Yes it is legal to bring it ice fishing, but it must be register.
Posted by: spawnman

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 01:16 PM

nice thanks buck-call
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 01:54 PM

Yes it is. The only requirement is that it has a valid Connecticut ATV registration. If you are a legal resident of Vermont, New York or Pennsylvania and have the ATV registered in one of those states, we have reciprocity with them and you may operate under their registration. Note - this doesn't apply if you are a CT resident. The law is specific about that. CT residents must have their ATV/snowmobile registered in CT. Before you pull out the pitchforks and torches...not my call, it's what's in the statute.

Sec. 14-380. Operation prohibited without valid registration. Exceptions. On or after October 1, 1971, no person shall operate and no owner shall permit the operation of any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle unless the owner holds a valid, effective registration awarded by this state or by another state or by the United States, provided such state or district of registration grants substantially similar privileges for snowmobiles or all-terrain vehicles owned by residents of this state and registered under its laws, and unless the identification number set forth in such registration is displayed on such snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle as prescribed in section 14-381, provided every resident of this state shall obtain such registration from this state under the provisions of section 14-381, before such operation shall be lawful. The provisions of this section shall not apply (1) to the operation of a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on premises owned or leased by the owner of such snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle or (2) to the operation of a snowmobile in any organized contest as long as such snowmobile is operated in the contest area, provided the owner of such snowmobile holds a valid, effective registration awarded by this state or by another state or the United States.
Posted by: trout tracker

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 03:01 PM

No sleds or quads on Colebrook if I am correct.
Posted by: Jack

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 03:11 PM

TT - you are correct

And I think Congomond has a new reg about snowmobiles.
Posted by: MikeDero

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 04:15 PM

Now here is the biggest red neck question of all time

I have a lawn tractor that the deck brok and is no good I bought a new tractor. but the old one works perfect minus the deck, can that be used on the ice?
Posted by: Jighead

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 04:53 PM

yes you can - no registration reguired

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 05:14 PM

Tractors are not ATVs so no registration required.

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 06:06 PM

One of the funniest things I have ever seen on the ice was a guy with his tractor. He was going a whole 2-3mph and doing donuts. He was out there for atleast an hour. This all had to be alcohol induced as there is no way a sober person could have been enjoying doing donuts on a tractor.

What about a moped? I can see a moped with spiked tires...LOL
Posted by: MikeDero

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 06:31 PM

I have a cub cadet 19HP it cruises at a whole 10-15 MPH with out the deck.

Awesome I might be the biggest redneck by doing this but it sure beats walking a few miles at CWood.

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/17/09 06:43 PM

Hey Mike could you change the gearing on that tractor? 19HP thats alot of power.
Posted by: CTAngler481

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/21/09 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeDero
I have a cub cadet 19HP it cruises at a whole 10-15 MPH with out the deck.

Awesome I might be the biggest redneck by doing this but it sure beats walking a few miles at CWood.

Been there done that! remove the throttle governor for an added 5-10 mph ;\)
Posted by: COBRA BAIT

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/21/09 11:30 PM

they have those pro mod tractors they race, they do 50+ easy, are low, no decks, good stuff! we used to build pulling tractors as kids out of regular garden tractors, they had split gear boxes with low range and a ton of weight on them for traction, would pull a house down! LOL
Posted by: macattack678

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/22/09 10:34 AM

Thats good stuff. My Troy Bilt 21 HP ought to do ok.
Posted by: MOONSHINER

Re: atv ice fishing - 12/22/09 11:52 AM

Heck the tractors we racing at the fair would do 60 plus MPH Not a bad idea building one for the ice . Change some pullies for the gearing and spike the tires and you are ready to go
Posted by: peters

Re: atv ice fishing - 02/23/10 05:08 PM

I have a question about Breakneck in Union -- it states that BREAKNECK POND, Union-Massachusetts (92 acres)
Walk-in access (approximately 1.2 miles from north end of Bigelow Pond).
Note: Connecticut or Massachusetts license legal on entire pond.
Species: (S YP CB CP LMB)

Other: Use of internal combustion engines prohibited. Motor vehicle access prohibited.

Can a Electric Golf cart propelled by battery be used?

Thanks,

Re: atv ice fishing - 02/24/10 01:02 PM

If there is a state boat launch on a water body(there's not at Breakneck), we allow people to offload registered ATVs/snowmobiles to access the ice. Because Breakneck is walk in only, there's no launch so you would not be permitted to drive the golf cart down the trail to access the ice.