Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags

Posted by: EnCon Police

Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags - 09/24/10 04:22 PM

Just got this from License & Revenue -

Questions and Answers Concerning
Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags

Why are some people eligible for a credit for the purchase of 2011 fishing and hunting licenses, permits and tags?

In April, during the 2010 session of the General Assembly, legislation was approved and signed into law reducing many of the fees for sportsmen’s licenses and permits. This was followed in June by legislation authorizing a credit to be applied against the fee for any 2011 sportsmen’s license, permit or tag when purchase of any license, permit or tag for 2010 had been made while higher prices were in effect.

Who is eligible for a credit for the purchase of fishing and hunting licenses, permits and tags?

Anyone who purchased a fishing or hunting license, permit or tag while higher prices were in effect from October 1, 2009 through April 14, 2010 is eligible for a credit against the cost of purchasing any license, permit or tag for the 2011 season.

How will the amount of the credit be calculated?

The credit will be the difference between the higher amount paid for a license, permit or tag between October 1, 2009 through April 14, 2010 and the amount set by the new fee structure established effective April 14, 2010. For information on the difference between those fees, visit www.ct.gov/dep/sportsmensfeereduction.

When can I get my credit?

You will receive your credit when you purchase a fishing or hunting license, permit or tag for the 2011 season. Licenses, permits and tags for the 2011 season will go on sale starting December 1, 2010.

How do I obtain my credit when purchasing licenses for 2011?

To obtain your credit, you must purchase your 2011 licenses, permits and tags at DEP’s main offices, 79 Elm St., Hartford, or at one of the following DEP locations: Marine Headquarters (Old Lyme); Eastern District Headquarters (Marlborough); Western District (Harwinton); Franklin Wildlife Management Area (Franklin); Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area (Burlington). For details on the hours of operation and directions to each of these offices, please visit www.ct.gov/dep/directions.
See next question for an alternative way to get your credit.

Is there a way for me to obtain my credit without having to go to a DEP office?

Yes. A mail-in option that you can use to obtain your credit will be available after December 1. To use the mail-in option, visit www.ct.gov/dep/sportsmensfeereduction. After December 1, you will find instructions on how to obtain the amount of your credit, and a form that you must fill out and mail in. You will also need to enclose a check for the difference between the amount of your 2011 purchases and the credit you are due for 2010 purchases. The mail-in forms will also be available at all DEP offices starting December 1, 2010.

How can I find out how much my credit will be?

You can find out if you are eligible for a credit and how much it will be by contacting one of the DEP offices listed above or online at www.ct.gov/dep/sportsmenscredit.

Can I use my credit to purchase 2011 licenses, permits or tags through the on-line sportsmen’s licensing system?

No. The on-line sportsmen’s licensing system does not have the capability of applying your credit against your 2011 purchases. To obtain your credit, you must purchase your 2011 licenses, permits or tags at a DEP location or through the mail-in option.

Can I use my credit to purchase 2011 licenses, permits or tags from a Town Clerk’s office or retail vendor?

No. Town clerks and retail vendors do not have the ability to apply your credit to the purchase of 2011 sportsmen’s licenses. To obtain your credit, you must purchase your 2011 licenses, permits or tags at a DEP location or through the mail in option.

How do I get my license if I use the mail-in form?

Seven to ten business days after you mail the form and payment to DEP, the on-line sportsmen’s licensing system will be updated and you can go into the system and print your license. You can also go to any Town Clerk’s office or retail vendor and ask them to print your license.

If I do not purchase the same fishing or hunting license, permit or tag for 2011 that I did for 2010 will I get a credit for the higher price I paid between October 1, 2009 and April 14, 2010?

Yes. The law that was passed authorized DEP to provide your 2010 credit against the purchase of any sportsmen’s license, permit or tag for 2011.

Who can I call if I have additional questions regarding my credit?

Please call DEP License and Revenue at (860) 424-3105 for additional information.
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags - 09/24/10 04:28 PM

Get your refund ... and win a CTF T-shirt! biggrin

See this post for details:
http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/ub..._yo#Post1253322
Posted by: Catchdem

Re: Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags - 12/28/10 12:39 PM

Hi,
I just realized that to get the credit i have to appear at one of the places designated or mail in. Obviously if i mail in i wont receive the license until well past 1/1. My question...if i have my old license and the completed docs for 2011 with me is it still illegal to fish?
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags - 12/28/10 12:43 PM

You need to have the new license with you. Your old license is no longer valid after Friday and the completed documents should have been sent in to get your new license. Your best bet if you want your new license in hand for this weekend is to go to one of the offices listed.
Posted by: PDona

Re: Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags - 12/28/10 03:34 PM

I am so glad I didn't procrastinate and spent the 45 minutes it took to get mine ! !
Posted by: edaves

Re: Questions and Answers Concerning Credits for the Purchase of Fishing and Hunting Licenses, Permits and Tags - 01/08/11 10:48 AM

Closest DEP office to me is Franklin Swamp WMA, bought 2011 all waters license and received my credit from last years overcharges . I found the staff there really pleasant and great to deal with.