Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation

Posted by: EnCon Police

Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/28/10 03:08 PM

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

REGULATION
OF

Department of Environmental Protection

Deer Hunting with a Revolver, Hunting and Trapping

Proposed amendments to sections 26-66-1 and 26-86a-6(h) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.

Section 1. Subsection (q) of Section 26-66-1 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies are amended to read as follows:

(q) Rifles and handguns using centerfire ammunition or rim fire ammunition having a cartridge case longer than that of a .22 rim fire long rifle cartridge case and the projectile of which is heavier than 20 grains and shotgun ammunition of loads larger or heavier than number two shot shall not be possessed and pistols or revolvers using ammunition larger or heavier than .22 rim fire long rifle cartridge shall not be used for the purposes of hunting as defined in section 26-1 of the Connecticut General Statutes on any private land during the private land shotgun/rifle deer season as specified in section 26-86a-6(d) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies. This provision relating to rifle, [and] shotgun and revolver ammunition shall not apply to persons holding valid landowner, private land rifle shotgun and/or [rifle] revolver deer permits. Waterfowlers hunting from a boat, blind or stationary position may only use the ammunition specified in section 26-66-4(t) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.

Sec. 2. Section 26-86a-6 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies is amended by adding subsection (h) as follows:

(NEW) (h)

(1) For the purposes of this subsection, “private land deer permittee" means any owner of 10 or more acres of private land and the husband or wife, parent, grandparent, sibling and lineal descendent of such owner who is eligible for a free private land deer permit, as established in section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes, and "revolver" means a "revolver", as defined in section 29-27 of the Connecticut General Statutes, with a cartridge of .357 caliber or larger.

(2) The open season for a private land deer permittee to hunt deer with a revolver pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99, shall commence on November 1 and end on December 31 of each calendar year. Any such private land deer permittee who seeks to hunt deer with a revolver pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99 shall obtain a revolver deer permit, as required by section 1 of public act 10-99, and a free private landowner deer permit, as required by section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes.

(3) The open season for any other resident of the state to hunt deer with a revolver on privately owned land pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99 shall start on the second Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day and end twenty-one consecutive days later. Any such resident who seeks to hunt deer with a revolver pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99 shall obtain dated written consent of the owner of 10 or more acres of private land, on a form provided by the Commissioner, and shall carry such dated written consent in accordance with section 26-86a-5 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies. Additionally, any such resident shall obtain a revolver deer permit, as required by section 1 of public act 10-99 and a private land rifle shotgun deer permit, as described in section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes.

(4) The bag limit for hunting deer with a revolver shall be:

(A) For a private land deer permittee, the difference between the bag limit that such permittee could achieve by use of a rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader or bow and arrow under a free private landowner deer permit and the number of deer taken pursuant to such free private landowner deer permit; and

(B) For any other resident of the state that hunts deer with a revolver on privately owned land pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99, the difference between the bag limit that such resident could achieve by use of a rifle or shotgun pursuant to a private land rifle shotgun deer permit and the number of deer taken pursuant to such private land rifle shotgun deer permit.

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: To amend and adopt regulations which govern deer hunting with a revolver.

To amend and adopt regulations which govern the hunting of deer by use of a revolver consistent with Public Act 10-99 and the Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) authority under sections 26-66 and 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes. Subsection 26-66-1(q) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies (“RCSA”) is amended to remove regulatory limitations on the use of a revolver during certain deer hunting seasons that are in conflict with section 1 of Public Act 10-99. Subsection 26-86a-6(h) of the RCSA is added to clarify who and when someone may hunt deer using a revolver, as permitted under section 1 of Public Act 10-99. These emergency regulations are necessary to minimize the risk of a hunting accident during the upcoming deer hunting seasons. By defining the periods during which such private land deer permittees and residents may use a revolver to hunt deer, these emergency regulations drastically reduce the risk that a resident hunting deer with a revolver on the private land of another person will mistakenly shoot a camouflaged bow and arrow hunter.
Posted by: Mycept

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/28/10 03:15 PM

So if I'm reading this correctly, if allows landowners who can already use shotgun/rifles during landowner season to now use revolvers....and.....it allows hunters hunting on private land with a shotgun/rifle to use a revolver starting the 2nd Wed. before Thanksgiving which is opening day of gun season.

Just another option for people who have would like to enjoy another facet of hunting...pretty cool.

Any idea if this means you can transport and shoot a pistol at a state range without a carry permit, as long as you have a license?

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/28/10 03:19 PM

Now - to simplify -

Public Act 10-99 provides for hunting deer with a revolver on private lands of at least 10 acres in size. Emergency Regulations to implement the new law for the upcoming firearms deer hunting season were approved on September 28, 2010. An updated notice will be posted when the new revolver deer hunting permits are available for purchase through the online licensing system.
The following information should help sportsmen understand the various provisions of the new law and accompanying regulations:
Eligibility:
o Those who own 10 or more acres of land, their spouse, parents, grandparents, siblings and lineal descendants hunting on their own lands (“landowners”),
o Connecticut residents hunting on 10 or more acres of private land with the permission of the landowner (“residents”).
Legal Firearms:
o Revolvers of .357 caliber or larger, with a barrel length less than 12 inches.
o Semi-automatic pistols and single shot pistols (i.e. TC Contender or Encore) are NOT permitted.
Permit Requirements:
o Landowners hunting deer with a revolver on their own property must acquire both a ‘free’ Landowner Deer Permit and a Revolver Deer Permit.
o Residents hunting deer on 10 or more acres of land with the consent of the landowner must acquire both a Resident Private Land Rifle/Shotgun Deer Permit and a Revolver Deer Permit.
Seasons:
o Landowners may hunt deer with a revolver on their own land from November 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010.
o Residents may hunt deer with a revolver on 10 or more acres of land with the consent of the landowner from November 17, 2010 through December 7, 2010.
Bag Limits:
o The bag limit for Landowners hunting deer on their own property, and in conjunction with a ‘free’ Landowner Deer Permit, is two regardless whether those deer are taken with a rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, bow and arrow, or revolver,
o The bag limit for a resident hunting deer on 10 or more acres of land with the consent of the owner, and in conjunction with a Private Land Rifle/Shotgun Deer Permit, is the bag limit associated with the Private Land Rifle/Shotgun Deer Permit whether those deer are taken with a rifle, shotgun or revolver.
Fees:
o The fee for a Revolver Deer Permit is $5,
o Only one Revolver Deer Permit is required whether that permit is used in conjunction with a single ‘free’ Landowner Deer Permit or Resident Private Land Rifle/Shotgun Deer Permit, or used in conjunction with both such permits.

Revolvers should not be concealed and should be carried openly in a sling or holster while hunting.

All other regulations pertaining to deer hunting with firearms, including tagging, reporting and wearing of fluorescent orange, apply to revolver hunters.

All other laws and regulations pertaining to the possessions of revolvers, including State Pistol Permits, apply to revolver hunters.

Additional info will be posted on the DEP website as soon as they can.

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/28/10 03:27 PM

THank you very much for posting this and then to clarify it as well.
Posted by: Buck

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/28/10 05:49 PM

Skip, thanks, that answers my questions I had posted on your board earlier.
It is another option so it is all good but it would be better if the handgun season opened on Nov 1st for all of us.
Posted by: Walter Buck

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/28/10 05:51 PM

Thanks for the Info!

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 09/29/10 12:06 PM

My bad...I didn't use my fingers and toes when counting back the two Wednesdays before Thanksgiving. I counted back two weeks but forgot about the Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving.

The correct dates for the revolver hunting period is the same as rifle/shotgun on private land, November 17th through December 7th. I corrected the info above.
Posted by: LJTFisherman

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 10/07/10 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info!

Question on consent form, I already have mine signed for this year and the new ones have (5) Revolver (Deer only) added to section for the land owner to cross out, do I have to get another one signed?

Thanks in Advance

Re: Handgun Hunting Emergency Regulation - 10/07/10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: LJTFisherman
Thanks for the info!

Question on consent form, I already have mine signed for this year and the new ones have (5) Revolver (Deer only) added to section for the land owner to cross out, do I have to get another one signed?

Thanks in Advance

Only if you want to hunt with a revolver. If you don't have signed consent that specifies a revolver, you can't hunt with one. If all you are going to do is hunt with a rifle or shotgun and those are approved by the land owner you are good to go.
Posted by: Bill S

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 11/07/10 09:33 PM

Is it legal to carry both at the same time? Providing you have all permits & consent forms of course. Thanks

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 11/08/10 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill S
Is it legal to carry both at the same time? Providing you have all permits & consent forms of course. Thanks

Yes - Providing you have all permits & consent forms.
Posted by: Bill S

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 11/08/10 05:40 PM

Thanks Encon
Posted by: Waterboy

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 01/28/11 02:06 PM

Pistol and Bow and Arrow providing you have all permits & consent forms?

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 01/28/11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Waterboy
Pistol and Bow and Arrow providing you have all permits & consent forms?

No, it's illegal to carry a firearm while bow hunting.
Posted by: some1outhere

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 01/28/11 10:14 PM

do you think they will ever changet the laws so we will be able to use encores or other single shot pistols as long as they meet the larger then the 357 cal or the 243 in rifle calibers.
Posted by: COBRA BAIT

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 01/30/11 01:29 AM

now i am lost, from what you posted, i could hunt my grandparents property for free???

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 02/01/11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: COBRA BAIT
now i am lost, from what you posted, i could hunt my grandparents property for free???

You can get a free landowner permit (if it's 10 or more acres) for rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader but not for revolver, that's still got the $5 fee attached to it even for a landowner.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 02/02/11 11:49 AM

is that new? i never got a permit to hunt the family land cause i never had the money, now its being sold, damn. guess i didnt understand the law, i thought you had to physically own the land for the free permit.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 02/02/11 12:18 PM

Nope. YOu just have to be a lineal decendent, so you would have been given the landowner permits if you filled out the paperwork

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 02/02/11 12:31 PM

Sec. 26-27. Licenses required for hunting, trapping and fishing.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), (c), (e) or (f) and other provisions of this chapter providing specific license exemption, no person shall take, hunt or trap, or shall attempt to take, hunt or trap, or assist in taking, hunting or trapping, any wild bird or mammal and no person more than sixteen years of age shall take, attempt to take, or assist in taking any fish or bait species in the inland waters by any method, without first having obtained a license as provided in this chapter. No person under sixteen years of age shall hunt or trap, except as provided in section 26-38.

(b) Any landowner who has a domiciliary residence in this state, his spouse or lineal descendants may hunt, trap or fish on land owned by him or on land leased by him and on which he is actually domiciled, which land is not used for club, fishing or hunting purposes, without a license, subject to the provisions of this chapter.

Sec. 26-86a. Game management. Deer hunting; permitted weapons, locations, bag limits.
Consent forms; permits, selection process.

(a) The commissioner shall establish by regulation adopted in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 standards for deer management, and methods, regulated areas, bag limits, seasons and permit eligibility for hunting deer with bow and arrow, muzzleloader and shotgun, except that no such hunting shall be permitted on Sunday.
No person shall hunt, pursue, wound or kill deer with a firearm without first obtaining a deer permit from the commissioner in addition to the license required by section 26-27. Application for such permit shall be made on forms furnished by the commissioner and containing such information as he may require. Such permit shall be of a design prescribed by the commissioner, shall contain such information and conditions as the commissioner may require, and may be revoked for violation of any provision of this chapter or regulations adopted pursuant thereto. As used in this section, muzzleloader means a rifle or shotgun of at least forty- five caliber, incapable of firing a self-contained cartridge, which uses powder, ball and wadding loaded separately at the muzzle end and rifle means a long gun which uses centerfire ammunition and the projectile of which is six millimeters or larger in diameter. The fee for a firearms permit shall be ten dollars for residents of the state and thirty dollars for nonresidents. The commissioner shall issue, without fee, a private land deer permit to the owner of ten or more acres of private land and the husband or wife, parent, grandparent, sibling and any lineal descendant of such owner, provided no such owner, husband or wife, parent, grandparent, sibling or lineal descendant shall be issued more than one such permit per season. Such permit shall allow the use of a rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader or bow and arrow on such land from November first to December thirty- first, inclusive.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 02/03/11 03:17 AM

wow not to keep dragging this on but i feel like a moron. i am going to go puke now, literally!
Posted by: SouthBound

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 02/04/11 01:41 AM

Like every other tag in ct you have to submit an application for it. Two years ago you had to fill out a form need a pile of info either send it in or drop it off to hartford. You still need tags even if it is you land. Now with the whole online thing you can get them online. It has zero cost im guessing except for handgun's.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 07/18/11 12:35 PM

(2) The open season for a private land deer permittee to hunt deer with a revolver pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99, shall commence on November 1 and end on December 31 of each calendar year. Any such private land deer permittee who seeks to hunt deer with a revolver pursuant to section 1 of public act 10-99 shall obtain a revolver deer permit, as required by section 1 of public act 10-99, and a free private landowner deer permit, as required by section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes.

It says November 1 with Handgun but then you said November 17. The whole advantage of the Handgun was to start on November 1st.

Which is it?

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 07/18/11 12:43 PM

The landowners season starts November 1st. This year private land starts November 16th.

If you are a landowner with a free landowner permit you can use a revolver (with a revolver permit) starting November 1st.

If you are not a landowner but have a private land permit and permission to use a revolver on the private land (of 10 or more acres) and have a revolver hunting permit then the season starts November 16th (this year).

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 07/18/11 01:48 PM

Got it.
Posted by: 15pounda

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 03/29/14 09:16 PM

Ok- glad I found this thread. I went to a local shop today to buy a revolver to hunt my own land with, and the attendant said that there's a barrel length restriction. He pulled out a hand cannon that would be pointless for me. He asked another guy in the shop and they essentially shrugged their shoulders and said that's what they understood. I wasn't going to buy the 8" barrel gun, and I didn't feel sure enough to buy the shorter barrel that would be somewhat carry(able) for me in the woods.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 03/29/14 09:16 PM

so, is there a restriction on barrel length?
Posted by: MattC

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 03/29/14 09:47 PM

Go with the longer barrel, my smith 44mag has an 8 /3/8" barrel and you can shoot it accurately at the range to 100 yards. But I don't believe there is a regulation. All I see is that it has to be a revolver .357 or larger. I really don't think you would want to use a snub nose though lol.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 03/30/14 08:53 AM

I'm thinking more like a 4" barrel. Something reasonably accurate to 35 yards (the longest shot I'll ever see on my property for deer), and portable enough to carry when I'm putting up tree stands and just walking the property. I've had too many close encounters with big bears recently.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/01/14 06:12 AM

I asked a state cop friend. He wasn't sure. Strange how little information is available to the public who are supposed to be following the laws.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/01/14 10:10 AM

The limit on barrel length is 12 inches (see below)

If you want to deer hunt, my suggestion is a 6" or 8" barrel. You get the maximum velocity out of a round with the longer barrel and they will be a bit more accurate. A 4 inch barrel works reasonably well out to about 25 yards and a 2" barrel is good for gunfights in an elevator. If I were going to try to take down a deer, personally, I would go with a minimum of a 6" barrel.

Sec. 26-82a. Private land revolver permit to hunt deer. Requirements. The commissioner shall issue, upon payment of a five-dollar fee, to the owner of ten or more acres of private land or a resident of this state, who has the consent of the owner of ten or more acres of private land, a private land revolver permit that allows the use of a revolver, as defined in section 29-27, to hunt deer from November first to December thirty-first, inclusive, pursuant to the bag limit established for a private land deer permit under subsection (a) of section 26-86a. Any person authorized to hunt deer by revolver pursuant to this section shall use a cartridge of .357 caliber or larger for such purpose.

Sec. 29-27. "Pistol" and "revolver" defined. The term "pistol" and the term "revolver", as used in sections 29-28 to 29-38, inclusive, mean any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches in length.
Posted by: Bob Bradley

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/01/14 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
...a 2" barrel is good for gunfights in an elevator...

Gets my vote for Quote of the Year! Better be careful or people will start calling you "Dirty Skip". Go ahead punk. Make my day!
Posted by: KillTaker

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/01/14 10:44 AM

Just curious, why would a single shot not have been considered in this regulation???

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/01/14 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: KillTaker
Just curious, why would a single shot not have been considered in this regulation???

I have no idea. The regulation was put together by the Wildlife Division. Because of the way it's worded, a T/C Contender is not a permitted weapon even though they are used in other parts of the country.

If hunters let their feelings be known to the Wildlife Division then perhaps they will revisit the regulation to allow single shot firearms.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/01/14 08:39 PM

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.
Posted by: Tom59

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/02/14 08:36 PM

Am very surprised there is no minimum length. Cant imagine deer hunting with a snubnose 357!!

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/04/14 07:29 PM

Update on my earlier entry.....

I spoke too soon. I honestly thought that the law originated from the Wildlife Division. Many times we are left out of the loop and only find out what the final laws/regulations are at the last minute.

As with us, this also happens to our Wildlife Division.

I have learned that the Wildlife Division had nothing to do with developing the controlling statute that permitted revolvers for deer hunting. The regulations were developed after they were handed the new law, which completed excluded the word "pistols" from the original version of the proposed legislation. From what I have been told, those debating the legislation wanted to ensure that deer hunters were not going to be using semi-automatic pistols. By removing the word "pistol", the legislation that passed completed excluded the most effective and accurate deer hunting handguns in the world in the opinion of many hunters, the single shot, break action pistols such as the TC Contender and Encore.

Most of our Wildlife biologists are hunters too and I am sure they would all agree that this should be changed, but the regulation can't be changed because it is controlled by state statute. Unfortunately in today's political environment when it comes to gun control vs gun rights, any mention of changing a law to "loosen" up the types of firers used would probably face an uphill battle.

Based on what I have learned, those in favor of changing the regulation would first need to change the statute. That's something that you would need to approach your state legislators about and gain their support for such a change. You might be able to get someone to sponsor a change for single shot, break action pistols as they don't have "large capacity" magazines and don't look like assault weapons. Gun control supporters may even support such a change as it would be allowing the use of a single shot weapon.

I apologize for any confusion!
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation - 04/04/14 07:49 PM

No apology necessary. We are all on the receiving end of these obviously clueless folks. banghead