Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT?

Posted by: RV6

Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/17/10 03:16 PM

I guess the "Subject" line says it all..

I'm curious if (or not) it's legal in CT to use a laser sighting system to hunt with in Connecticut?

Thanks,

RV
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/19/10 04:24 PM

Yes, however you need to be aware that if you are in the woods/field...actually any deer habitat from 1/2 hour after sunset on, you could face charges for possession of jacklighting equipment. A laser is an artificial light source.

Sec. 26-85. Jacklighting for deer. Forfeiture and disposal of weapons. No person shall use or attempt to use or possess any jacklight for the purpose of taking any deer. For the purpose of establishing a prima facie case under the provisions of this section, a jacklight shall be construed as any artificial light when used in conjunction with any rifle larger than a twenty-two long rifle, or with a shotgun and ball shells or shot larger than No. 2 shot or with a bow and arrow or crossbow, in any area frequented by deer or where deer are known to be present, or in any deer habitat, and possession of such articles in any such place, or any road, lane or passageway adjacent to such place, by any person during the period from one-half hour after sunset to sunrise shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section. Any person who kills or wounds any deer with any firearm or other weapon by the aid or use of any artificial light during the period from one-half hour after sunset to sunrise shall be subject to the provisions of this section.
Posted by: Jighead

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/19/10 05:12 PM

Wait...I wasn't expecting a "yes" answer at all.

Can I attach one to my bow then?
And if it is turned off at sunset - then it is not being used or a sighting aid right?

I thought you couldn't even attach one to your bow. Or that battery operated site pins were illegal for the same reason?

Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/19/10 06:01 PM

Like I posted, they are legal - however - as the statute says:

No person shall use or attempt to use or possess any jacklight for the purpose of taking any deer. For the purpose of establishing a prima facie case under the provisions of this section, a jacklight shall be construed as any artificial light when used in conjunction with any rifle larger than a twenty-two long rifle, or with a shotgun and ball shells or shot larger than No. 2 shot or with a bow and arrow or crossbow, in any area frequented by deer or where deer are known to be present, or in any deer habitat, and possession of such articles in any such place, or any road, lane or passageway adjacent to such place, by any person during the period from one-half hour after sunset to sunrise shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.

If you are in deer habitat 1/2 hour after sunset and you have a laser sight attached to your bow/rifle/shotgun/pistol - even if it's not turned on (or possesses any jacklight), you would technically be in possession of jacklighting equipment. If you want to go the laser sight route I would strongly recommend that you be at your vehicle with the rifle/shotgun/bow/pistol in your vehicle at 1/2 after sunset. Right now we give some leeway with people who stop hunting at sunset and are walking out of the woods after that. Laser sights were not invented when the laws were enacted so nobody considered them.
Posted by: EGGNOG

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/19/10 07:28 PM

Skip. Great simple explanation. Thanks for your answer. It seems like in most cases common sense would prevail.
Posted by: Jighead

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/19/10 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Right now we give some leeway with people who stop hunting at sunset and are walking out of the woods after that. Laser sights were not invented when the laws were enacted so nobody considered them.

Thanks for the explanation Encon.

Sounds like some leeway is needed.

If I carry a flashlight into and out of the woods couldn't that too be considered an artificial light? I don't think people who jack deer actually bolt the light to their gun. So anyone with a flashlight in deer woods could be considered in possession of jacklighting equipment???

Getting out of the woods within the half hour is some what reasonable, but heading in is a different story in the morning, when it is very common for hunters to be going in much earlier than they are coming out. Plus you can legally shoot a 1/2 hour before sunrise.

I know you don't make the rules. And I know there are plenty of old ones that need updating. I'm all for enforcement when the spirit of the law is violated, but if I'm walking in, or walking out, without an arrow knocked, or without my laser light turned on, someone would be hard pressed to say I'm jacking.

People might be wondering why someone would need a laser sight....so I'll explain. Two reasons actually. The first being improving accuracy, which I think most people would agree, is the first responsibility of any shooter with any type of weapon when attempting to ethically harvest a game animal. If laser sites can help improve accuracy, than it could reduce the number of poorly hit deer. When I started bowhunting (age 14 in 1978 rolleyes) we shot instinctive shooting with no sites. Compound bows, site pins and even mechanical releases are all common now, but back then they were controversial and viewed by some as an unfair advantage. Eventually they were all legalized based primarily on the fact that they would improve accuracy. Laser sights might be new, but that argument of improving shooter effectiveness is not.

Secondly (and maybe just for me) but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. If I thought I could pull off using one without the deer seeing it and spooking, I'd love to see if it makes me a better shooter in the first and last legal shooting hour.

Posted by: furtrapper

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/19/10 11:48 PM

cool.looks like my 6.8 is getting a laser after all..:)....
Posted by: Murph

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/22/10 04:25 AM

just take the batteries out before 1/2 hour after sunset, same as unloading a weapon.
Posted by: Mycept

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/23/10 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Jighead
Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Right now we give some leeway with people who stop hunting at sunset and are walking out of the woods after that. Laser sights were not invented when the laws were enacted so nobody considered them.

Thanks for the explanation Encon.

Sounds like some leeway is needed.

If I carry a flashlight into and out of the woods couldn't that too be considered an artificial light? I don't think people who jack deer actually bolt the light to their gun. So anyone with a flashlight in deer woods could be considered in possession of jacklighting equipment???

Getting out of the woods within the half hour is some what reasonable, but heading in is a different story in the morning, when it is very common for hunters to be going in much earlier than they are coming out. Plus you can legally shoot a 1/2 hour before sunrise.

I know you don't make the rules. And I know there are plenty of old ones that need updating. I'm all for enforcement when the spirit of the law is violated, but if I'm walking in, or walking out, without an arrow knocked, or without my laser light turned on, someone would be hard pressed to say I'm jacking.

People might be wondering why someone would need a laser sight....so I'll explain. Two reasons actually. The first being improving accuracy, which I think most people would agree, is the first responsibility of any shooter with any type of weapon when attempting to ethically harvest a game animal. If laser sites can help improve accuracy, than it could reduce the number of poorly hit deer. When I started bowhunting (age 14 in 1978 rolleyes) we shot instinctive shooting with no sites. Compound bows, site pins and even mechanical releases are all common now, but back then they were controversial and viewed by some as an unfair advantage. Eventually they were all legalized based primarily on the fact that they would improve accuracy. Laser sights might be new, but that argument of improving shooter effectiveness is not.

Secondly (and maybe just for me) but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. If I thought I could pull off using one without the deer seeing it and spooking, I'd love to see if it makes me a better shooter in the first and last legal shooting hour.

You can get the same thing with a light on your sight. I'm sure the lazer sight would have people taking more shots after legal times or in low light situations they wouldn't be able to take otherwise. Even when you light your pins you still need to be able to see the deer great...with the lazer sight, not so much.

I remember posting this same question a few years back after seeing a friend of a friend who had a lazer sight on his crossbow. I thought for sure it had to be illegal but ENCON informed me otherwise. Not sure I would ever put one on my bow unless there was a way to have a traditional sight and the lazer as a bonus.
Posted by: SouthBound

Re: Are laser sights legal to hunt with in CT? - 10/24/10 01:44 AM

How many blood traling lights by primos has cabelas sold?