Alcohol Free Campgrounds.

Posted by: macattack678

Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/19/14 02:55 PM

Hopevill Pond has new No Alcohol signs hanging at the entrance. In the past alcohol was allowed up early June. Is this about to change?

Thanks for any info.
Posted by: Murph

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/19/14 03:14 PM

better order some of these

Posted by: CWood Man

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/19/14 03:53 PM

Camping and no beer!!!!????!!!!
Posted by: PDona

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/19/14 04:02 PM

Posted by: chris med

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 09:19 AM

what a crock of
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 10:06 AM

Hopefully not - you guys don't have to put up with the domestics, fights and other problems that alcohol use in the campgrounds bring, we do. We're pushing to ban alcohol in as many campgrounds and parks as possible. It's not the old days where people got along - we've found that the arrest numbers, complaint numbers, fights, domestics and problems drop dramatically when alcohol is not permitted.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 10:19 AM

This is unfortunate. We have been camping at Hopeville for the Opening Day weekend for years. I understand what happens when the senior class shows up with a kegger. It's just too bad that people that just want to kick back with a few have to suffer the consequences.
Posted by: FarmerJay

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Hopefully not - you guys don't have to put up with the domestics, fights and other problems that alcohol use in the campgrounds bring, we do. We're pushing to ban alcohol in as many campgrounds and parks as possible. It's not the old days where people got along - we've found that the arrest numbers, complaint numbers, fights, domestics and problems drop dramatically when alcohol is not permitted.

Probably because fewer people use the campgrounds. I remember they did that one year at Hammonasset and that summer, there were empty campsites all over the place. The question to ask is, how many use a campground, consume alcohol, and never cause a problem vs how many do cause a problem. Sad, but as usual, a minority screws things up for the majority.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 11:08 AM

exactly.........but its a no brainer that the drunk aholes ruin it for everyone.......
Posted by: mrmooch1

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 11:34 AM

While I agree that a few A-holes ruin it for the majority, I've also found that when I've brought alcohol to places where it is not allowed (ie. beach, or park) along with a solo cup, as long as we were low-key, we've never been bothered. I get that technically we are at risk for a ticket, but it has always boiled down being respectful and behaving. Worst comest to worse, I think an officer or ranger would ask that you put it away. Can't imagine getting locked up for having a beer. It's a shame that it's come to this. Crazy that I have to break the law to have a couple of beers on the beach in 2014!
Posted by: Jighead

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 12:07 PM

I saw this sign on the wall at one of the oldest continuously operating Bars in New Haven. I liked it enough in fact, that I took a picture of it so I would remember how it went.

Our Bar is Dedicated to those Merry Souls of other days,
Who again will make drinking a pleasure,
Who achieve contentment long before capacity,
And who, whatever they may drink,
Prove able to carry it, enjoy it, and remain Gentlemen.

On being an Ahole when you drink....
I don't think drinking can make you an Ahole...
But it can intensify any preexisting conditions.
Consult your character before taking this drug.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 12:10 PM

Posted by: swwind

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jighead
I saw this sign on the wall at one of the oldest continuously operating Bars in New Haven. I liked it enough in fact, that I took a picture of it so I would remember how it went.

bowdown
Posted by: JohnS

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: swwind
Originally Posted By: Jighead

X2 !!
bowdown
Posted by: KillTaker

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/20/14 09:42 PM

It's a good thing I don't drink. ....
Posted by: knowfish

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/21/14 06:09 AM

Sadly all that's written is all too true.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/21/14 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: mrmooch1
I've brought alcohol to places where it is not allowed (ie. beach, or park) along with a solo cup....

Toby Keith screwed it up for everyone! The secret is out! Use Dunkin Donut cups!

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/21/14 10:08 AM

Poland Springs makes a great moonshine...
Posted by: scooter72

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/22/14 07:58 AM

It's too bad people cant have a few beers and stay mellow. It's the bad apples that spoil it for the ones who can just sit back with a cold one and relax without starting fights, acting like idioits, etc..

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/22/14 08:49 AM

Roger that Scooter.
Posted by: Tmack9200

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/25/14 05:48 AM

The Pussification of America is stronger than ever before....

I stayed in a campground in NH once, where camp fires were not allowed.... I have a house for rent in VT, with a fire pit and a full size fridge to keep your beer cold, 3 bedrooms, direct tv and plenty of land if you want to run around naked or even bring your guns and shoot and it's less per week than one of the alcohol free waste of times...

Send me a pm if interested
Posted by: Bob G

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/25/14 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Tmack9200
The Pussification of America is stronger than ever before....

I stayed in a campground in NH once, where camp fires were not allowed....

It's been awhile since the kids are all grown up, but at Rocky Neck State Campground they used to have a community fire ring and at Hammonassot I seem to recall no fires allowed.
Posted by: John_Kaz

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/26/14 12:46 PM

this guy doesn't like it.
Posted by: EGGNOG

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 02/26/14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: John_Kaz
this guy doesn't like it.

You have a problem.
Posted by: nw ct angler

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/12/14 08:10 PM

Sad when law enforcement is pushing to ban a legal substance. If people cant drink they will do drugs, check out the results in high schools!! Arrest the a$$ holes and leave the rest alone.
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/13/14 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: nw ct angler
Sad when law enforcement is pushing to ban a legal substance. If people cant drink they will do drugs, check out the results in high schools!! Arrest the a$$ holes and leave the rest alone.

Spend a hot summer weekend with us at one of the parks overflowing with people from NYC and other inner city areas that have no regard for the law, each other or people who just want to be left alone to enjoy the park. Then add alcohol to the mix and deal with crowds of 1000 to 2000+ people with one or two officers. Then let me know how sad you think it is.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/13/14 09:39 AM

Tell em Skip!!!!
Posted by: nw ct angler

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/14/14 03:08 PM

I spent 2 weeks last year at Hammonasset as I have for close to 40 years. I don't frequent the beech on the weekends nor do I like the "inner city people" wrecking the bathrooms when they camp. But I don't think I should be punished when I am at my campsite for something that happens on the beech, or we're ever it happens!! If you need more police then the state should add some state police to assist or even do all the policing. You guys could spend your time on the jetty checking licenses of the non English speaking fishermen I'm fight for space with, who are filling there pales with shorts. Not looking for a fight, just getting tired of my rights being taken away because of people not following the same rules most of us do.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/14/14 03:49 PM

AMEN brother................ Troopers should be aorund god knows DEEP is shorthanded enough....... I may be spending a weekend with a rawkous crowd at Hammo but we rent the whole circle and have a great time without an eyebrow being raised.the way it should be..........

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/16/14 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: nw ct angler
Not looking for a fight, just getting tired of my rights being taken away because of people not following the same rules most of us do.

Unfortunately, that is the way our society looks at things. Note the gun laws in our state.

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/17/14 10:36 AM

State Park and the beaches are not my cup of tea........Cheesus even Devils Hopyard is full of illegals....... frown

Re: Alcohol Free Campgrounds. - 03/17/14 10:45 AM

Chris, that is why we always do Hopeville for opening day weekend. There park is pretty much empty. During the summer I wouldn't go near the place.