Confusion about corona virus boating.

Posted by: JerryinCt

Confusion about corona virus boating. - 04/30/20 03:44 PM

So I read a bit about the new rules for boating. Let me see if I understand this correctly. I cannot boat with anyone in my boat unless they share my same household? I get the no more than 5 thing. If someone can clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: Tall 1

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 04/30/20 04:46 PM

That was what Mass is saying, plus only Mass registered vehicles can use the launches haven't seen anything on CT..
Posted by: JerryinCt

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 03:40 AM

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loca...unches/2257722/
Posted by: O-BASS

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 07:44 AM

Head down, mouth closed, just go fishing...use your own judgement. smile1
Posted by: Mycept

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 08:17 AM

My buddy keeps his boat in Rhode Island but lives in CT. Last weekend he showed up with his CT plates and was told that they aren’t going to allow out of state plates in the marina.....so now he says if they enforce that he will just stop at his moms house and use her car.

This will be a long summer if we are going to do #*&! like this.

Meanwhile in Philadelphia, they are finding you for not wearing a mask or social distancing but not for shoplifting or drugs
Posted by: Don P

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 10:01 AM

CT is a “should” not “shall”....it’s not a requirement, it’s a recommendation. Basically if you have a 12’ boat you can have 2 non-cohabitating people aboard. smile1

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: O-BASS
Head down, mouth closed, just go fishing...use your own judgement. smile1

Agreed.....user discretion & enjoy!

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Mycept
My buddy keeps his boat in Rhode Island but lives in CT. Last weekend he showed up with his CT plates and was told that they aren’t going to allow out of state plates in the marina.....so now he says if they enforce that he will just stop at his moms house and use her car.

This will be a long summer if we are going to do #*&! like this.

Meanwhile in Philadelphia, they are finding you for not wearing a mask or social distancing but not for shoplifting or drugs

Is RI a state that requires 2 plates or just 1 on the rear???.....just saying....your buddy may have easier options. laugh He may only need to stop at his Mom’s house once. smile1

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/01/20 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Tall 1
That was what Mass is saying, plus only Mass registered vehicles can use the launches haven't seen anything on CT..

I know MA resident who recently bought a boat and trailer. MA RMV (their DMV equivalent) states they are only doing essential registrations and they are NOT doing new registrations for things like boats, trailers, campers/RVs, etc..... I didn’t think a state could hold your assets hostage like that. People will be registering in other states or just using them stating they want to register, but MA isn’t available to let them register. Are people really going to spend their money on these purchases, and then not use them???....I would use them

[img]http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/pi...a05_9d3d_01dd30[/img]
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/06/20 05:35 PM

Basically the boat launches are open, use your common sense, these are recommended guidelines to follow. The following is from the DEEP Boating webpage.

DEEP Urges Safe Boating Social Distancing Practices at State Boat Launches During COVID 19 Pandemic

Connecticut State Boat Launches Remain Open at this Time

With the boating season just around the corner, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) announces that the state boat launches are currently open. DEEP wants to share best practices to keep boaters safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a fluid and evolving situation and as the weather warms and the demand for use at the boat launches increase, DEEP will continue to closely monitor these facilities to determine if the use of the launches can safely continue.

DEEP manages 117 boat launches across the state on coastal and inland waterbodies where users can launch with no fee. DEEP will continue to monitor the use of the launches and may adjust public access to these facilities, if necessary, in order to ensure the safety of the public and DEEP employees. This approach is consistent with practices already in place at other DEEP-managed outdoor recreational facilities such as State Parks.

“Boating or paddling can provide a refreshing outdoor escape during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Peter Francis, DEEP Boating Division Director. “We know our boating community is passionate about getting on the water and we want to ensure they can recreate safely.”

To this end, DEEP has developed a suite of common-sense practices and recommendations that can help improve boaters’ safety at state boat launches and on the water.

To use Connecticut’s boat launches safely, DEEP offers the following guidance:
•Parking in state boat launches is only for boating, fishing, or wildlife observation (where permitted). Other non-permitted activities could increase use, reduce safety, and jeopardize the availability of the facilities. Anyone not engaged in these activities should not be using boat launches and will be asked to leave by DEEP Environmental Conservation Police.
•Gatherings of people at state boat launches must be limited to not more than 5 people per Governor Lamont’s Executive Order number 7N.
•Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance on maintaining 6-foot social distancing from others must be followed at all times. When possible, leave an empty parking space between your vehicle and others in the lot.
•Boaters should depart the ramp area as quickly as possible when launching or retrieving your boat.
•Boat occupants should be limited to cohabitating family members only, and groups of no more than five.
•Recreate locally. Rather than traveling to some of Connecticut’s more popular boat launches, discover new boating spots close to home. Consult the DEEP Boating website for alternate launching locations.
•If a boat launch appears to be crowded, consider visiting a different boat launch, or returning at a different time or day.

To boat on Connecticut waterways safely, DEEP offers the following guidance:
•Do not raft or tie-up your vessel with other vessels.
•Do not share your equipment or vessel with other boaters.
•Wear gloves and other personal protective equipment (PPE) and practice proper social distancing when using public equipment such as gas pumps or pumpout facilities.
•Coastal and inland water temperatures remain cold and boaters should wear life jackets at all times. A reminder that state law requires anyone operating or riding in a manually-propelled vessel such as a canoe or kayak is required to wear a life jacket until May 31st.

DEEP also wishes to provide some additional information for out-of-state boaters using Connecticut’s waters:
•Per Governor Lamont’s guidance, any person coming to Connecticut by means of transportation, including by boat, are strongly urged to self-quarantine for 14 days.
•Out of state boaters are reminded that prior to operating on Connecticut’s inland waters, an Aquatic Invasive Species stamp is required to be purchased online. The demarcation line between inland and coastal waters can be found on the DEEP Boating website.

DEEP will continue to closely monitor capacity and use of the state boat launches and may consider alternate management strategies for these facilities as demand increases. DEEP staff are currently developing operational plans for the state’s most popular boat launches, including Squantz Cove and Gardner Lake, including possible targeted reductions in parking availability and other measures on a launch-specific basis to ensure the safety of Connecticut’s boaters.

Please visit the DEEP Boating website for news and updates: www.portal.ct.gov/boating
Posted by: MikeG

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/20/20 04:25 PM

Can I take 2 clients in my drift boat on paid trips yet ? Social distancing is not really an option in this situation.

Are charters and guides in general allowed to start earning a living again ?

*I have not purchased a 2020 guides license yet due to all that is going on and my inability to utilize it. Hoping for some sort of clarification soon.

Thanks for all you do for us sportsman.

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 05/20/20 09:51 PM

12’ boat minimum (P-6’-P-6’-P) for a crew of 3 not living under the same roof to maintain 6’=/+ social distancing. rolleyes laugh

Good luck Mike.
Posted by: Conrad G.

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/03/20 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeG
Can I take 2 clients in my drift boat on paid trips yet ? Social distancing is not really an option in this situation.

Are charters and guides in general allowed to start earning a living again ?

*I have not purchased a 2020 guides license yet due to all that is going on and my inability to utilize it. Hoping for some sort of clarification soon.

Thanks for all you do for us sportsman.

Go make some money!!! This is a joke, let nature run it’s coarse!!
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/03/20 08:41 PM

If you are worried about COVID 19 limit the number of people on your vessel to allow a 6' distance between you and wear a mask (face covering). I would also acknowledge what others have said in this post.

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/03/20 09:49 PM

Thanks Captain. Great to hear fair and reasonable confirmations.
Posted by: MikeG

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/05/20 06:51 AM

there is no way possible to put 6' in between myself and clients in a 16' drift boat that is only 5' wide which is the size of the boat I guide from. social distancing of 6' is not an option for these types of trips.

would I be okto guide in drift boat if all of us wear masks being closer than 6' ?
Posted by: shadbody

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/06/20 07:24 AM

Call it a protest and you can do what you want.
Posted by: O-BASS

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/06/20 08:43 AM

Just go Mike. Nobody else ever followed the rules. Start making money again if you can get it!
Posted by: Buck

Re: Confusion about corona virus boating. - 06/23/20 11:17 AM

I have been proud of the way our Governor and the DEEP have handled the Covid 19 crisis. Not closing the state parks and boat launches, and continuing to stock the trout streams and lakes, has given all of us, including non-residents as required by the Constitution's Bill of Rights, the opportunity to continue to get out of the house and use our recreational assets. It has created some level of normalcy in an abnormal time.
Conversely, states like Mass. and R.I., that bar non-resident users to various assets like boat launches, marinas, etc. violate our rights as non-residents and accomplish virtually nothing for their efforts other than to demonstrate again their ability to snub their noses at our U.S. Constitution. If they can do it for a virus they can do it for anything they want. No way to fence this to just a virus.