Jurassic Park Smallies

Posted by: Tall 1

Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/11/20 01:40 PM

With Covid 19 restrictions in place I was unable to hit the water as early as I had hoped to. I was about 2 weeks behind my original plan, but I saw an opportunity to make the run and went for it. Unfortunately, Eric and Peter could not go so I did a solo mission.
The weather was expected to be cloudy, windy and cool on Friday and Saturday and clearing on my last morning, Sunday.
I arrived to the water around 11 on Friday and the lake was white capped and the wind was 15-20 sustained. Less than ideal conditions, but off I went.
The first smallie of the trip was a beauty at 4.26 and was caught on a drop shot rig.
The drop shot would prove to be my go to over the next few days, although a small tungsten jig and paca craw trailer, a Ned rig, a spinnerbait and a fluke also produced.
The conditions were terrible and it made boat control very challenging, even trying to stay upright was a task.
The fish cooperated however, and I managed 5 fish, all over 4 lbs this first day.
Overnight the temps dropped into the high 30s and again, the trees were swaying when I woke up.
The sky was dark and ominous as I launched on Saturday morning, and soon the rain started. I put my head down and grinded it out for the next 7 hours.
I was rewarded with some great fish, including 3 over 5 lbs,with the best going 5.87 lbs, as well as several heavy 4s. What a great day!

Sunday dawned clear and sunny and I thought I could hammer em. Unfortunately, that was the exact opposite of what happened. I caught exactly 1 2lber on a fluke and that was it before I had to head for home.

It was a fun adventure and one I wouldn't miss for anything, including Covid. I kept to myself and social distanced and wore my Buff anywhere I went. It was a great trip.
Here's a sampling of some quality smallmouth that call Jurassic Park their home.

Posted by: Nick_S

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/11/20 03:15 PM

Wow nice trip those are some nice smallmouth!!
Posted by: O-BASS

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/11/20 05:16 PM

Nicely done brotha! She does crank some beauty's out for sure.
Posted by: JohnS

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/11/20 08:48 PM

Freaking awesome! Great Job Jon! beerchug bowdown
Posted by: CWood Man

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/11/20 09:18 PM

Awesome Jon!,,,
Posted by: tommy

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/12/20 08:11 AM

Nice report and pics, congrats on some great fishing.
Posted by: MikeV

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/12/20 11:43 AM

Those are awesome fish! great work.

MikeV

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/12/20 12:40 PM

I had to resize this pic to post.
A pink TRD on a dropshot rig fooled this hump backed slob of a smallie in about 15 feet of water along the drop off.
Posted by: Don P

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/12/20 08:43 PM

Damnnnnnn those are some quality Smallmouth! Wow! Congrats!

Was this an out of state trip?

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/12/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Don P
Damnnnnnn those are some quality Smallmouth! Wow! Congrats!

Was this an out of state trip?

Yes
Posted by: BaldPelican

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/13/20 08:34 PM

Awesome fish!
Posted by: Sebecsalmon

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/14/20 02:46 PM

really nice quality heavy smallies, must have been some awesome fights. A fish that size you need to be patient with and let them get tired out before you try to get them to the boat. I love when they just start digging down and you just hold them, fish that size will tow the boat. Nice smallies !
Posted by: arlow

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/15/20 11:56 AM

Awesome fish Jon!!!
Posted by: JerryinCt

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/15/20 08:19 PM

Nice smallies
Posted by: mattmann7

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/24/20 04:26 PM

Trip of a lifetime for most people. Nice trip Jon.
Posted by: nimmer

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/26/20 07:09 AM

Jurassic Park? Never heard that description before. Where is it (Conn) and what does it stand for?
Posted by: JoeV

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/29/20 08:01 AM

Wow nice job on those beasts thumbsup
Posted by: Don P

Re: Jurassic Park Smallies - 07/29/20 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: nimmer
Jurassic Park? Never heard that description before. Where is it (Conn) and what does it stand for?

It’s out of state, but the bass guys are keeping it their secret. smile1