Stripers in Old Saybrook

Posted by: Tall 1

Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 10:09 AM

Atsakeeper Eric, our buddy Peter and I hit the lower river areas at first light and found a nice wad of quality bass to play with.
Top waters and big soft jerk baits both got crushed.
We had a great bite on our first drift through the area with multiple fish to 38", with a few doubles. We released several quality fish back to the river to grow due to the slot. However, fish have tails and this wolf pack moved out like CT residents so often do and they vanished. Unfortunately, we never found where they went to.
We hunted a bunch of other areas for a few more random fish here and there and had a few bluefish rubber bite offs before putting the boat on the trailer by 11. What a fun start to the day!
[img]http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/pi...615370617653_92[/img]

[img]http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/pi...615372617703_52[/img]

Posted by: Jighead

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 10:46 AM

thumbsup
Posted by: LipRipper

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 11:28 AM

Nice job finding them!

Pics don't work for me frown
Posted by: M.C. Niantic

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 01:49 PM

Nice trip, can't see the pictures.

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 02:36 PM

I tried to re-attach the pics but they are still links.
I can click on them and open them.
Not sure.....
Posted by: LegalFish

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 02:43 PM

Nice trip!

Alfonzo
Posted by: swwind

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 03:03 PM

Awesome Trip !

Sunrise doubles . . . . . . does it get better than that ?
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 03:18 PM

Very nice Jon! Brings back memories Didn't hear how E and Scott did the day before yet.
Miss seeing you guys out there regularly, but still on a river "break", I'll be back if the crowds wain a bit more. Hard to explain, but it just ain't the same anymore. Guess I got spoiled years ago. Got a few new buds up in your neck of the woods and we live life to the fullest Thursday evening till Sun am, gonna put on a few pounds for sure. The food is over the top and then some! Please stop by for a visit or move in for a long weekend.
Posted by: CWood Man

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul D.
Very nice Jon! Brings back memories Didn't hear how E and Scott did the day before yet.
Miss seeing you guys out there regularly, but still on a river "break", I'll be back if the crowds wain a bit more. Hard to explain, but it just ain't the same anymore. Guess I got spoiled years ago. Got a few new buds up in your neck of the woods and we live life to the fullest Thursday evening till Sun am, gonna put on a few pounds for sure. The food is over the top and then some! Please stop by for a visit or move in for a long weekend.

Jon and Eric great job, I do miss that bite!!!

I don’t even bother anymore. A wholesaler I know and he owns a Chevy store has a house on the water and counted 40 boats between marker 22 and 25, no thanks. I miss it and it’s fun but guys yelling at each other, some know it alls, etc..

Paul have my dad over but will give you a call in the AM on the way to work.Tough times bro!
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CWood Man

Jon and Eric great job, I do miss that bite!!!

I don’t even bother anymore. A wholesaler I know and he owns a Chevy store has a house on the water and counted 40 boats between marker 22 and 25, no thanks. I miss it and it’s fun but guys yelling at each other, some know it alls, etc..

Paul have my dad over but will give you a call in the AM on the way to work.Tough times bro!
thumbsup
Posted by: Jarhead

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 06:59 PM

first light fishing is the best fishing.
Posted by: JohnS

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 08:23 PM

beerchug

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/28/20 09:41 PM

They didn't do well but were in the wrong section of river.
We had to twist E's arm to try again and it was lock and load.
I miss seeing you too Buddy. Stay happy!
Posted by: Kbova

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/29/20 10:05 AM

nice congrats bending rods is always nice
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/29/20 01:00 PM

beerchug
Posted by: PDona

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/30/20 06:41 AM

Not stealing your thunder for sure. That report made me try it Sunday am. My girlfriend and I launched out of Great island about 5:40 am,
Lighting and feeling was strong to catch fish !
You may have seen this picture on E WEATHER. smile1 The one there, she took with her Cell phone smile1

This I took to the north.

We tried Lower river, west side, east side, middle, plugged around the spindle and jetty, and only a couple half assed swirrels. 13 miles worth! Tons of bunker in one area, saw a gil netter load up. I think shoulda headed north frown
Next time! She's having fun, and pretty darn good at casting for only fishing a couple of times.
Posted by: Firefighter Skippy

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 06/30/20 07:28 AM

Nice fish. Hit or miss days like usual.
Posted by: SALO

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 07/02/20 10:58 PM

That's a great day fishing!
Posted by: Nick_S

Re: Stripers in Old Saybrook - 07/04/20 06:25 AM

Way to get em. Catching a few nice fish makes getting up at 3am and dealing with the boat ramp nonsense worth it.