Block Island 8/9/20

Posted by: Major Woods

Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/10/20 08:23 AM

Got out to BI early morning and started the troll for stripers, no action for an hour so switched to bottom fishing.
Ran to South of the wind mills and dropped the lines, caught some huge porgies, black sea bass, fluke and a limit of cod.

Several other boats were targeting cod with diamonds and clam baits, we did as well as them using fluke rigs and squid.
Posted by: friction angler

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/10/20 02:13 PM

That's a great mixed bag of fish. That what makes Block Island special. Trolling for stripers in the morning and filling the cooler later in the day.
Posted by: Don P

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/10/20 03:01 PM

Congrats! CTFer JoeIthica was out there too and same mix of big SeaBass, Porgy and Cod. It’s quite the place to fish!
Posted by: JoeIthaca

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/10/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Major Woods
Got out to BI early morning and started the troll for stripers, no action for an hour so switched to bottom fishing.
Ran to South of the wind mills and dropped the lines, caught some huge porgies, black sea bass, fluke and a limit of cod.

Several other boats were targeting cod with diamonds and clam baits, we did as well as them using fluke rigs and squid.

Hit the same area yesterday morning, we were south of the windmills using jigs and didn't come close to filling our limit of cod. Congrats on the limits.
Posted by: all in

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/10/20 09:20 PM

I to fished block sunday , did see you trolling also, we got there at 5 am and tried with eels and only managed 1 23 inch striper. We got a few sea bass on the eels to, i thought about trolling but we went out by the wind mills and caught some really nice sea bass , a chub mackerel and one sub fluke. The charter boats were cranking in 2 fish at a time , did not see any big fish netted on the trolling grounds. Did almost get run over by a charter boat trolling ( think it was on purpose ), i could see him heading my way as we were drifting over a hump , couldnt see anyone at the helm so at 400 feet i started my motor to be ready figuring he would turn at some point , finally at 150 feet i put in gear to move . He trolled by , they were handling some fish , he did have a second helm station that i saw him go to but he definitely was helping the mate before i moved .
Posted by: Don D

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/10/20 10:46 PM

Nice day Major.
Posted by: StarkC69

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/13/20 12:26 PM

Way to go Major! How far south of the windmills do you end up finding the Cod?
Posted by: Major Woods

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/13/20 02:21 PM

1.75 miles dead South of #5 windmill.
Posted by: StarkC69

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/13/20 03:11 PM

Thank you very much! Fish on bruddah!
Posted by: Doormat

Re: Block Island 8/9/20 - 08/15/20 06:59 PM

Great mixed bag day! Block is tops for variety