How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat

Posted by: Handberrydea

How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/07/19 11:46 AM

I filmed a how-to video with a good friend of mine who consistently catches 10 plus pound browns every year without going to upstate NY. I'm not a huge fan of trolling but sometimes it can be a really effective way to catch a pb trout and you don't need a 20 thousand dollar boat to do it. Watch this video for a formula that will help you land more browns this summer. Tight lines!
Posted by: Jarhead

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/09/19 07:20 AM

thanks for sharing. does length of leader matter?
Posted by: majik1

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/10/19 07:22 AM

Where are you fishing?
Posted by: Jaffs

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/10/19 08:49 AM

I’d put money on this being NYC’s water supply reservoirs in Westchester and Putnam counties.
Posted by: Buck

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/10/19 12:27 PM

I would second that suggestion. All NYC reservoirs are row boats only with NYC permits. Rowing around trolling Sutton Flutter Spoons is a standard method that has been used for decades. The other is drifting alewife herring. Bob's Bait in Katonah (rt. 100 & rt. 35 junction) has a steady supply of herring for sale. Before herring were available in Ct. in Danbury I would make the trip from New Fairfield to Katonah to buy bait at Bob's and then come back to use it on Candlewood. The brown trout fishing in Candlewood in the 80s was nothing short of fantastic and the alewife herring fished around the spring holes was far more productive than trolling.
When I moved to Ct. the first thing I did before I got any Ct. licenses was to get my NYC reservoir permits and get a boat on a reservoir. Certain NYC reservoirs can be absolutely dynamite for large browns and some have rainbows and lake trout.
Posted by: Don D

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/11/19 06:56 PM

Definately N.Y. No place in Ct to consistantly catch ten pound browns

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/18/19 09:57 AM

I typically use a 30 ft leader

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/18/19 09:57 AM

Correct! This was filmed at gleniada reservoir

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/18/19 09:58 AM

Gleniada Reservoir. 10 mins from Danbury

Re: How To Troll for BIG Trout From a Rowboat - 06/18/19 10:01 AM

Its very easy to get a Ny watershed permit and definitely worth it because they do a great job of stocking those reservoirs with giant browns. The trout fishing on Candlewood is not what it used to be.