ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1720822 - 07/23/17 02:06 PM Still running a lot
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
I had a family red snapper trip. When I got to the first place the current was running way to fast for us to fish the area so I made a move and we finally settled in for some fishing. This was a brother and sister double. It was her first red snapper and she was not ready for the fight it put up.

Getting the targeted red snapper did not come easy for me on this day. Mom landed then biggest of the day.

We went through a lot of bait before we got our limit and also fought a few sharks too boot. The loss off bait was mostly due to the many small beeliners around. We still got our job done and put some good meat in the box.

My next trip was a redfish trip. I went to an area I had not been to in over a month. I had heard there were some reds caught there recently. As I approached there I noticed one boat fishing near by. It was a private boat not a charter. The water looked good so I started at a point I usually have good luck at. There were a few bait stealing rats there. Nothing mush though. As I was contemplating my next move we land a very nice trout. This bought us more time here.

It was soon after that when a cast into the rozo canes produced a splash and a drag burning run to the open gulf. Although there was some drag on the reel then fish was not stopping. I lifted the power pole and let the fish take us for a ride. Some times me customers that "KNOW" how to fish will take it on their own to set the drags like the do when fishing in the lake for bass or other fresh water fish. I checked the drag and made a minor adjustment. This was just a strong fish. It had shoulders. What a way to break her in to redfishing.

After the picture it went back to breed and give more fishermen a thrill as good as it had given her. Nothing much happened there after that so I moved on to another nearby spot looking for some slot reds. Much to my surprise we found some more trout. They were having trouble getting used to the quick trout bite but we did manage to get some nice ones into the boat along with some shorts. I called over another charter captain and he also got a couple before the school moved or the bite ended.

The other captain went to an island nearby I went up into a canal and set up outside a drain as the tide started falling. This gave us some action and we were content on the action putting some good slot reds into the box. This finally ended and I was still looking for 2 more good ones. As I moved around a point I noticed the other captain. He was into some action. He stated he was struggling until just recently. He told me to go around him and set up on the next cut which I did. We made quick order topping off the box. There is no better sight than casting into shallow water with canes around, having a sudden splash and boil of water, and a drag burning pole bending battle begin. The ultimate reward is landing a fish so beautiful you fall in love with it and have to invite it to dinner with your family and friends. Such was the case with this beauty.

Our day ended with a respectable deck shot of trout and reds.

The next day we went offshore. We went looking for red snapper. We found them. The seas were just enough to get him queasy and he stuck it out just so she could fish. I felt sorry for him but he was doing it for her.

We also found amberjack that had to go back due to the season being closed. Eventually he could take no more and we had to come in. The way this guy was feeling I am surprised he did not call it earlier. He did it for her. That is love.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1720838 - 07/23/17 05:30 PM Re: Still running a lot [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
More Great Days At The Office Hoop! Congrats!

I gotta say I LOVE seeing Families & Women being involved in fishing! Good Stuff!

Speaking of fishing women....say HI, Wuz Up & Hallelujah to Trina for me! wink2 kiss biggrin

Active Topics