ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1725848 - 09/18/17 04:21 PM Catfishing the CT River
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Probably a pipe-dream, but with a little luck I might be able to take my 5yr old son out chasing cats on the CT river Oct. 7th. I'm clueless as to where to even go to attempt this, and I'm hoping for intel beyond the state's survey reports. Any suggestions as to locations/timing/gear etc. We'll be fishing out of a 14' jon boat, so traversing skinny water shouldn't be an issue.

Thanx in advance,

Ken
Fishing Info
#1725881 - 09/19/17 12:09 AM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: onthewater102]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
I make 4-6 trips a year on the CT river north of Hartford so I am by no means a knowledgeable "river rat". When I do go, I am chasing shad, stripers, or smallmouth and have not gone specifically to catch catfish. That said I have seen many cats on just about every trip. Most are in the 2-5 lb range and I have seen a few that are close or beyond 10lb.

If I were chasing them, I would launch at the Barber street (base of 291) launch. I would fish the deep spots around the 291 bridge. For a five year old, I would use whatever outfit he is most comfortable with as long as it was loaded with no lighter then 6LB test and no heavier then 12lb. (8-10 lb test is probably best). A simple set up of a hook (maybe a number 4) above a bank sinker (1/2 oz to 3oz) depending where and when your fishing. I would use chicken gizzards or chunk fish bait. If they are around, I don't think they would be too fussy. I would work north (very carefully) looking for quiet water about 4-6 feet deep. Be advised that the CT River north of Hartford is very shallow and very rockey. It can be a chore finding a lane to get up river within site of the I 91 Bridge. As you head north from the 291 Bridge the river bottom is mainly silty mud. As you head north it gets less silty and more bottom of small rocks with lots of plants along the edges. I have always had the best luck around and north of where the Farmington/Loomis school enters the CT River.

All that said, I were taking a five year old out to catch catfish, I would probably go to Lower Bolton Pond on Route 44 in Bolton. It is easier fishing, has lots of small (1/2 lb- 1lb) cats and enough in the 2-5lb range to make things interesting. If you would like the 3-4 spots on this 80 acre or so pond that holds the cats, PM me your phone number and I will call you one evening and give you the exact locations.

Take lots of pictures and don't forget to bring plenty of drinks and snacks.

Best of luck,

MikeV
#1725888 - 09/19/17 07:22 AM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: MikeV]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Originally Posted By: MikeV
I make 4-6 trips a year on the CT river north of Hartford so I am by no means a knowledgeable "river rat". When I do go, I am chasing shad, stripers, or smallmouth and have not gone specifically to catch catfish. That said I have seen many cats on just about every trip. Most are in the 2-5 lb range and I have seen a few that are close or beyond 10lb.

If I were chasing them, I would launch at the Barber street (base of 291) launch. I would fish the deep spots around the 291 bridge. For a five year old, I would use whatever outfit he is most comfortable with as long as it was loaded with no lighter then 6LB test and no heavier then 12lb. (8-10 lb test is probably best). A simple set up of a hook (maybe a number 4) above a bank sinker (1/2 oz to 3oz) depending where and when your fishing. I would use chicken gizzards or chunk fish bait. If they are around, I don't think they would be too fussy. I would work north (very carefully) looking for quiet water about 4-6 feet deep. Be advised that the CT River north of Hartford is very shallow and very rockey. It can be a chore finding a lane to get up river within site of the I 91 Bridge. As you head north from the 291 Bridge the river bottom is mainly silty mud. As you head north it gets less silty and more bottom of small rocks with lots of plants along the edges. I have always had the best luck around and north of where the Farmington/Loomis school enters the CT River.

All that said, I were taking a five year old out to catch catfish, I would probably go to Lower Bolton Pond on Route 44 in Bolton. It is easier fishing, has lots of small (1/2 lb- 1lb) cats and enough in the 2-5lb range to make things interesting. If you would like the 3-4 spots on this 80 acre or so pond that holds the cats, PM me your phone number and I will call you one evening and give you the exact locations.

Take lots of pictures and don't forget to bring plenty of drinks and snacks.

Best of luck,

MikeV

Great advice...

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1725923 - 09/19/17 12:30 PM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: onthewater102]
Barn1 Offline

Loc: Vermont
Back when I had a 14' aluminum, I would launch after work at the King's Island launch in Enfield, head upriver to just behind the middle "island" hump (old bridge piling mound) and beach the front of the boat on the down current side. Then I'd bait up two rods rigged with a #4 bait holder hook and a couple of split shot, and put on a whole night crawler. I'd cast down current, prop the rods up on each of the gunnels and wait for the rod to double over. You would never have to wait long, and you'd never know what you'd catch. I caught white cats, big bull-head, large mouth, small mouth, stripers, carp, walleye, sturgeon, eel, and every kind of panfish you can think of.

It's a great way to get a kid excited about fishing. Lot's of action to keep them interested.

Barn.

I work to live, not live to work.
#1726044 - 09/21/17 05:14 AM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: onthewater102]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
Any backwater/cove off the river should work.

New House 5/18
#1726191 - 09/23/17 04:54 PM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: onthewater102]
sdbass50 Offline

Loc: masshole
Ck Weathersfield Cove tons in there
#1726669 - 09/28/17 12:28 PM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: onthewater102]
Daddy Pickle Offline

Go big or go home

Loc: Windsor Locks
barn recommended a great area... but if you dont know the area, it's dangerous. probably not best spot for a young kid, unless you scout it first

Im allergic to land, get me on the water <")))><
My CTF Profile
#1726692 - 09/28/17 04:28 PM Re: Catfishing the CT River [Re: onthewater102]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT

Active Topics