ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1809035 - 02/24/21 01:06 PM opening day
seeforellen Offline

is there an opening day this year for fishing or is it going to stay open hopefully like last year?
Fishing Info
#1809040 - 02/24/21 02:32 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
PerfectHookSet Offline

Pond Skipper

Loc: Western
Fishing Season-2021 Trout Fishing season is scheduled to open at 6:00 am on Saturday, April 10, 2021.

Yes I was the teen that you remember from the bait shop picture gallary.
https://www.eregulations.com/connecticut
CT Fishing Info: https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Fishing/CT-Fishing
Also CHECK out my items for sale
#1809076 - 02/24/21 07:39 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
Mark S. Offline

Thick ice for awhile...would love to yank a few up thru it...powers that be will proly screw us...hate the opening day thing...good grief.
#1809249 - 02/26/21 12:16 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
Opening day usually means crowds at all but my most remote spots. With Covid still around I will likely pass on fishing unless it is a beautiful day and I launch my boat at Masshapuag, Coventry, or Crystal. Even if you don't fish, opening day is generally very entertaining. You will see "wingnuts" launching 2 person inflatables with 3, 4, or 5 people looking something like Clint Eastwood in "Escape from Alcatraz". I have seen guys fishing the Willimantic with 11' surf rods. There are the guys with fly rods more likely to catch squirrels than trout. Opening day can be quite a spectacle.

With Covid, still a big factor, I will probably wait till Sunday. Great to think that we will be able to fish open water again shortly.

MikeV
#1809257 - 02/26/21 01:30 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
I may do something I've never done before, namely launch a boat on opening day. I have penciled in nearby Coventry Lake for breaking in the new Tohatsu 9.9 in late March to early April. Also have caught as many as four trout per trip drifting for panfish last June so I know how to catch them there. If the air temperature is not too cold for me opening day morning I expect an easy uncrowded launch and a pleasant few hours watching the circus as the lot jams full of trailers. I will be parked in a trailer slot near the launch. How? By leaving the house 3AM, will already be launched by 4AM, running under navigation lights quietly on trolling motor until the noise and boat launch mayhem starts. All that running in full darkness on the Thames last October will come in handy. Will spend pre-6AM time cruising slowly checking out old and dropping new Humminbird waypoints. There will be plenty of room for everyone, way more water out there than the lot has room for boat trailers.

Will observe and pick a quiet time to come back off. My Covid vaccinations will have had time to have built full immunity but will continue to observe full mask and social distancing protocols. I used to like to watch the yahoos opening day. They get plastered early, yell a lot, fall in a lot, show off a trout at the end of their line over the water until it falls off, or wind in a trout until the rod tip is down the trout's gullet.
#1809267 - 02/26/21 02:04 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Sounds like a plan cith!
#1809287 - 02/26/21 05:48 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
PerfectHookSet Offline

Pond Skipper

Loc: Western
I look at it like this, no matter who they are or what theyre using at least they are outside (hopfully) enjoying their self.
Last year opening day was normal for us, we usually just fish small water ways and lucky enough for us theres not many people who show up early.
I think this years fishing season as whole will be more "normal." Late April on until early autumn, it was hard to find a place to fish unless the parking area/lot was large. So many local places packed with people fishing and younger people hanging out.

Yes I was the teen that you remember from the bait shop picture gallary.
https://www.eregulations.com/connecticut
CT Fishing Info: https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Fishing/CT-Fishing
Also CHECK out my items for sale
#1809292 - 02/26/21 06:54 PM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
Jim Curto Offline

Loc: Wilton, CT
If I find another jackass throwing a cast net on one of the stocked trout waters again this year, you'll be reading about the brawl right here...

James R Curto
#1809811 - 03/05/21 04:34 AM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
SKUNKEDALOT Offline

Governor Lamont Signs Order Opening Connecticut’s Fishing Season Early
Trout Fishing Season Opening Early to Encourage Social Distancing, Anglers Reminded to Exercise Caution if Fishing on Late-Season Ice
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that he has signed an executive order removing closed seasons for fishing on all inland waters in Connecticut, and opening additional lakes, ponds, as well as rivers and streams to fishing statewide, effective today. The governor signed a similar order last year to open the state’s fishing season early at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
#1810122 - 03/10/21 10:04 AM Re: opening day [Re: seeforellen]
SWMPYNKE Offline

Great, we can form a parade behind the hatchery trucks, bring your buckets!!!

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics