ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#632376 - 03/10/07 02:16 AM Dream trip results
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
The day was a late start but we did not seem to be in a hurry. We ran out to the same spot as we hit them yesterday only to find the water 3 deg. cooler and absolutly nothing in the area. We ran 9 miles to another floating rig. I was marking fish but after almost 2 hours of fishing we had only a rainbow runner to show for our efforts.

It was around 11:00 and I was afraid we were going to have a bad day. Adam is feeding out the line and it takes off. He lamost pulled the bait from the fis. After a nice battle he lands a nice 35 pound yellowfin.

That was it for that rig so we moved on. Hit another rig with nothing and I decided to move closer to shore and to a rig that has gotten me out of trouble on other times. While trolling around it we kind of lost concentration on the lines and one of them goes off. Bobbie gets on the lins and hauls in a nice blackfin.

I decide to hang there a little bit longer and suddenly the seas light up with a football field full of busting tuna. I grab a popper and have a tuna attack the popper with a vengence. It misses it but keeps on chasing the popper until after the third attempt it has a mouth full of hooks.

The fish kept on comming up about every 10 minutes untill we left. Out total was 3 yellowfin, 9 blackfin, (one we cut up for bait) and 2 rainbow runners. We got all but 2 on poppers 15.3 miles from shore. The water is 1100-1200 feet deep there.

Life is Good! \:D

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#632377 - 03/10/07 09:03 AM Re: Dream trip results
Fishing FINattic Offline

Loc: South East CT
Well guys,

It seems like my head just hit the pillow and Bobbie and I are now up and ready to head out again.

Below is long winded but I feel it is a good story.

The trip started by rushing around wednesday night to pack (always last minute with me). Woke up at 3:30 and headed to Hartford. Bobbie and I meet Rv6 and Scupmaster at the airport, chatted and started our flight.

Our connection in Atlanta was delayed due to something leaking from the plane. \:\(
Quickly changing planes we took off and were on our way to NewOrleans.... had a great meal in the city of crab cakes, fried catfish and some other fried stuff.

The meal was filled with anticipation and discussions about the fish that we may be catching, describing to young scupmaster the joys of tuna fishing and the potential of the fishing down here..... Capt Hoop would not disapoint us.

We arrived at Hoops house and meet the capt and Joann, we were also meet with a full pork roast dinner including mash potatoes, corn, ect! Wow!

The accomadations here could not be better, now to the fishing!

Woke up every hour with anticipation, out of bed at 4am and was greated to a full breakfast, ham, eggs, pancakes, muffins... wow!
A quick eats and we are off to the boat!

Arriving down at Venice Marina the fisherman in me really starts to come out.... the buzzing of people loading boats, sounds of ice pouring into fish lockers... no one is really talking, just loading their boat with rods and gear.

We load up and head out into the great Mississipi River and head south. A quick ride to the mouth of the mighty river and we are into the Gulf, Captain said not long to go... I am looking and the muddy waters that are only 56 degrees and wondering how far we actually have to go....

Not more than a few miles out the water starts to change color, the water temp is rising 2 degrees per mile and the first oil rig is spotted.

Over the next several miles the water temp jumped to 68 degrees and Hoop spoted the rig he wanted to fish.

It was funny, in the morning all of the rigs looked the same, but by afternoon, we could start to see the differences between each one!

Hoop told us that the lump was off producing a few larger fish (we saw a 143 hanging at the end of the day) but nothing in quantity and we would be waiting for that one bite. With young scupmaster never hooking a tuna, we agreed that this trip should be quantity, not that one quality 125+ pounder.

The top water action here is amazing, the tuna are flying out of the water and seem to be focused over certain areas. I have seen tuna break surface like this before offshore, but nothing spreading over such a large area. The schools are huge with yellowfin and blackfin mixed in.

The school will pop up, bust bait for 1 -3 minutes then go down. You just need to be in casting distance to ensure a hookup with the popper.

But dont be mislead, blind casting yeilds some pretty good hits too!

I could actually see the tuna nail the lure, come unbuttoned, quickly kicking the retrieve into high gear brings him instinctivly back to hit it again!

Well, it is 5am now here and we are heading out again today.

We are again faced with the quanity vs quality.

We will let you guys know!

Tim
#632378 - 03/10/07 09:25 AM Re: Dream trip results
Tackleman Offline

Loc: Suffield/Niantic, CT
That surface tuna bite is amazing!!!

That kid can catch fish can't he?!!!! \:D

Congrats on your 1st tuna Scupmaster....

Striper Tubes - Keels & More!!

#632379 - 03/10/07 09:25 AM Re: Dream trip results
Anonymous
Unregistered

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got your voicemail late last night Time with the recap of your trip. You sounded excited with Hoop io the background feeding you your lines of stats.....but also DAMNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnn tired.....you definitely had a long couple of days and coupled with the restless sleep of anticipation....you've gotta be pretty wiped out.

Adam/scupmaster is getting spoiled into the world of tunoids right off the bat! WOW!!!! AWESOME!!!!

GO CATCH'EM UP HOOP & CREW!!!!!!!!
#632380 - 03/10/07 09:30 AM Re: Dream trip results
Anonymous
Unregistered

"That kid can catch fish can't he?!!!!"

"Congrats on your 1st tuna Scupmaster...."

.....MUST be his hat!

TOUGH to beat YFT on topwater!!!!!!!....I'm jealous for sure!!!!!!
#632381 - 03/10/07 11:09 AM Re: Dream trip results
vick Offline

Nice way to break the Winter blues.
#632382 - 03/10/07 01:27 PM Re: Dream trip results
Tall 1 Offline

Awesome day, I hope today is even better!
#632383 - 03/10/07 08:37 PM Re: Dream trip results
JIM F. Offline

Great job CTF crew. Can't wait to see how today's trip turned out.
#632384 - 03/10/07 08:55 PM Re: Dream trip results
fuzzy2u Offline

#632385 - 03/10/07 09:49 PM Re: Dream trip results
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Good Job guys and gals!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Editors 

Active Topics