On a related matter this past week 2 cops, in separate states (not CT) drowned while attempting to rescue swimmers in trouble. In one case the distressed swimmer also died. Besides saving ourselves, most of us, especially with boats, live by the mariners rules of always going to the aid of someone in trouble on the water. But everyone needs to know their limits before jumping. A big heart and bigger b*lls won't trump going under if you don't know what you're doing. In confined space rescues (trenches, pits, silos, etc.) over half the fatalities are would-be rescuers. I believe the stats are similar regarding water rescues.
Years ago I was fishing with 2 friends in their 19 ft. boat on a rough day at the Race. The boat got swamped and in seconds turned vertical with just the tip of the bow showing above water. The PFDs were safely stored under the seats. Lucky for us it was October blue fish time and a couple other larger boats saw the mishap and immediately came to our rescue, followed by the USCG. Lost all my gear but felt like the luckiest guy around that day.
With the inflatable PFDs today there isn't much reason not to wear one. The ocean looks really big at eye level and any thoughts of macho are quickly dispelled.