ctfisherman.com logo
Page 19 of 28 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#927362 - 03/08/08 10:28 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: CWood Man]
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Loc: Danbury CT
you all know how i stand with the amount of tournys out there.
but thats a whole nuther issue.

for those who think this sticker thing isnt a good idea, what would you sudgest doing about cutting down the traffic on the lake?
I dont know if this sticker program will do that, but if the CLA were to use the funds the way they say they will, there MIGHT be less A-holes out there.
from My Years of being on the lake ive noticed one thing that alot of others have noticed. the locals and residents have a Hell of alot more respect for the rules and the environment than out of staters.
im not saying all of them but, when you see a bonehead move, or total disregard for saftey 9 times outta 10 theres a NY,PA, or NJ sticker on that boat. and im not talking just bass boats. the abslolute worst people on the lake are the Jet skiers, and the 25ft yahts.

I cant beleive there hasnt been any deaths or serious accidents out there.
Fishing Info
#927382 - 03/08/08 11:29 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: csimone]
Buck Offline

I presented an alternative proposal this afternoon which was a statewide permit for all public access lakes with the funds collected to be deposited in a specific account, by law, administered by the DEP boating/lakes management division and the funds to be distributed only to lake authorities of public access lakes with each share determined by lake boat census determined again by negotiation with each specific lake authority and the DEP. All Ct. resident boating users pay one fee to the state per year for all public access lakes. No specific Candlewood Lake sticker.
Out of state boaters pay more, on a percentage increase equivalent to a resident fishing license versus a non-resident fishing license. All out of state boaters must present a Ct. Safe Boating Certificate or an equivalent from their state or the permit will not be issued to them similar to an out of state hunter having to present a hunter safety certificate or a previous Ct. license or a license from their state issued in the last five years.
The legislature must pass expanded liability protection laws to protect lake authorities, towns, the DEP and private landowners against liability claims by permit holders. This is one reason the DEP makes little effort to collect fees and only charge for parking so they have no liability when there is an accident.
The other possibility is nothing will happen. The DEP has presented a position paper non-concurring with the Bill and will marshall the reps and senators across the state to defeat it. They are politically adept a killing things they don't like. But it will come back again and maybe look something like the above prototype: just like the saltwater license is coming back. So if we are to be a stakeholder and have input into how this whole issue is crafted the effort needs to taken now. I intend to modify my email to local officials on the subject prepared earlier and submit it as my formal documentation to the public hearing in Hartford on Monday. Clark Chapin, state rep from New Milford will take my proposal forward as a submission as a courtesy since I have doctors appointments and can't be there. He is the ranking republican on the state environmental committee if I understood his position correctly.
There is more to this but I am too tired to boil the ocean especially when the power keeps going out tonight. Yamar and Big Lee both presented concerns and positions extremely well and were very articulate. But we were representing ourselves not the site, you, Mitch or anyone else.
You can watch it happen, make it happen or ask what happened, those are all individual choices. Most of the attendees wanted exclusionary, elitist solutions, those people don't want you on "their" lake. If that concerns you get involved with your state rep and senator.
Big Lee and Yamar will have a lot of input too.

Edited by Buck (03/08/08 11:32 PM)
#927392 - 03/09/08 12:04 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Buck]
yamar Offline

What I heard coming from the local homeonwers echo the same feelings of some of the Candlewood area residents on the site. They want the number of boats down, ultimately cutting someone out. Now I'm sure they're not going to start with the residents of the surrounding towns so that leaves guys like me right in the crosshairs.

Candlewood is not "their" lake to begin with, it's OUR lake. Thank god for the state access launches otherwise it probably wouldn't be our lake anymore.

The reason I appose this bill is that it directly funds the CLA which, when push comes to shove, will not be out for my "transient" interests, state launch or not. In ten years when the "sticker program" seems ineffective at reducing usage then comes outright exclusion, be it through limiting permits or envoking "launch times" or whatever.

It's not the money, it's who gets the money. If the DEP runs a state wide program like this, then I wouldn't be as paranoid about the state trying to kick me off any water some time down the road.

More patrols? Sure, that would be nice but wouldn't it be better if people from out of town just simply stop going to Cwood? That's exactly what this smells like.

Edited by yamar (03/09/08 12:06 AM)
#927415 - 03/09/08 01:38 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: yamar]
BigLee Offline

Loc: New Milford CT
I was shocked that only three of us from the site showed up.

The fact that this will snowball was confirmed by at least two individuals that said other lake associations they are involved with are watching this to see what happens.

Guys and Gals your biggest threat in the future is not the number or size of fish you can catch, but whether or not you will have access to a place to fish.

Please mull this statement over in your mind.

People keep saying this is going to reduce the number of boats, This may be what they are hoping for but they are being extremely carefull about claiming this bill to only be a method to fund more patrol hours. IT will make no appreacible difference in the number of boats if anything it will force people to choose Candlewood over other lakes when they insttute similar measures because of the good fishing Any reduction will be insignificant and only the small boats.

Do you really think for a moment that someone that has a 25-35 foot boat moored or docked on the lake cares about a fifty dollar bill.

I was kind of cut off short when I tried to argue that the number of boats that have access to the lake at the state ramps has not changed in twenty plus years.

It was pointed out that all of the increase in hours that they were looking will be lost just checking to see if someone has a sticker or not.

If this goes through You will get stopped everyday on the water to check your sticker.

Would you allow this on the highways? would you be willing to pay an extra fee just to drive to work each day on public roads? Would you be willing to be stopped by any law officer that happens to go by just to check your sticker.

Guys be part or the process or Please do not complain if it goes through. You have the chance now to be heard and have your voice count.

Have a safe time on the water and may that tight line be pulling back.

A member of Schaghticoke Bassmasters
http://members.tripod.com/~bassmasters_ct/index.html
A member of the TBF. The Bass Federation Tournament Bass Fishing for everyone.
http://www.ct-tbf.com/
#927418 - 03/09/08 01:44 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
BigLee Offline

Chris Why would you complain about the number of tournaments on the Lake If you participate in them? There has been no reduction in bag sizes the weights seem to somehow get bigger each year. I have been actively enjoying this lake since 1963, if any one should want it privitized it should be me. It seems crazy that I am the one trying to help keep the access open and free.

#927446 - 03/09/08 10:57 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
DAS Offline

BigLee and Buck,

Thank you the updates. I hope to make the next public hearing down there. As I said in a previous post, I have written my letter to the Co-Chairs of the Environmental Committee.

David Santos
Environmental Director
CT B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
www.ctbass.com
#927568 - 03/09/08 07:19 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Jighead]
swampyankee Offline

Loc: stamford
I understand how the $$$ would help the CLA. I just don't like the idea, because there seems to be a fee for everything. Sooner or later lilly will do the same thing, and while we are at it lets get a saltwater licence too. It just seems that we have to pay a fee for everything today, and its not like my paycheck is going up.

"Shucks, We almost lost a 400 dollar hand cart"
#927574 - 03/09/08 07:32 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Loc: Danbury CT
 Originally Posted By: BigLee
Chris Why would you complain about the number of tournaments on the Lake If you participate in them? There has been no reduction in bag sizes the weights seem to somehow get bigger each year. I have been actively enjoying this lake since 1963, if any one should want it privitized it should be me. It seems crazy that I am the one trying to help keep the access open and free.

this is about The over abundance of boats on the lake man!
i fished 2 big opens, and i think 4 ctf tournys last year.
cutting down the amount of tournys wont happen till the lake is private. alot of people that fish tournys on the lake on a regular basis have said the same thing."there are to many"
but this aint about me and how many tournys i fish.
thats what i feel and Nobody has to like it. it is what it is.
and thats the way it is.
its about over crowding and what can be done.
120+ tournys a season isnt helping cut down the traffic.
#927582 - 03/09/08 07:46 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: csimone]
BigLee Offline

Dave I cannot make the meeting in Hartford As I need to wait for an insurance adjuster tomorrow. I will be there at the next one.

#927584 - 03/09/08 07:49 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: csimone]
Buck Offline

How about this proposal. Since bass fishermen only have one bass boat and can drive around in only one boat at a time anyway, and since they take a partner, why don't we use bass fishermen as the benchmark.
This benchmark says the following; if you live on the lake and have a boat dock or live in a lake community and have a boat at a community marina then you can ONLY have one boat and when you go out you have to have two people in the boat kind of like in a HOV lane on a turnpike. NO multiple boats at your backyard dock, NO multiple jet skis and NO loaner boats for the friends. NO ski boats and pontoon party boats and any kind of personal watercraft all registered to one Candlewood Lake resident and on the water at his backyard dock. Pick only one boat that you want and don't take it out unless you have a partner or guest just like a bass fisherman does.
Think that will reduce boat traffic and over-crowding?? You bet your A$$ it will and I think that will go into my proposal.
The most tournament boats on the lake on any weekend is about a hundred boats out of thousands and thousands of boats registered and docked on the lake to local residents. Every dock in the wealthy areas has jet skis and multiple boats and they entertain every weekend with all those boats getting used.
The over-crowding problem is a local issue not something that comes from Lattins or Squantz. Lets use some common sense on this issue the problem is not with a hundred bass boats a day.
Page 19 of 28 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics