Reporting Violations

Posted by: EnCon Police

Reporting Violations - 06/05/07 01:38 PM

I appreciate all the information that you are posting regarding various violations occurring. Our officers have made arrests with information that forum members have supplied.

It is important that you call in violations as you see them. Either the TIP line or the direct line (860-424-3333). That way our dispatchers can send out an officer to respond to the complaint. (As long as someone is available).

If you only post the info on the forum, then I may not see it for anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days, and the poachers will get away. Judging from the posts that I have been reading I know you don't want that to happen.

Please call in violations right away, that way an officer can be dispatched. You can still post the info on the forum for me. In fact by posting the info you are letting everyone know that there is a problem somewhere. That way other CTF members who may go to the same area can be on the lookout for the same violations and they can call in too.

As you are all aware, we don't have anywhere near the number of officers that we did in the past. Obviously we can't be everywhere all the time. We really depend on all of you for your information, we really appreciate the support that you give us. There are more and more people who don't hunt and fish. To them the outdoors is either someplace scary or something they are not interested in. You all appreciate the outdoors for what it has to offer and because of that you understand the importance of protecting the environment and our natural resources. If hunting and fishing continues in the state it will be because of the true sportsmen (and women) like all of you.
Posted by: BASSMANinCT

Re: Reporting Violations - 03/13/08 04:58 PM

Can we call local police to report violations? Will they respond in your place? Why not if that is the answer/ Laws are laws!
Posted by: EnCon Police

Re: Reporting Violations - 03/13/08 05:04 PM

Yes you can call the local PD. They may or may not respond. They are not familiar with the fishing regulations and are usually reluctant to do anything about F&G violations. If they run across a hunting violation they will hold the subject and call us, but for fishing violations I haven't seen that happen too many times.

The mission of the local PD is public safety and crime prevention for their town/city, not enforcing fish & game laws, that's our job. Granted we are short handed, but it's still our job. We have statutory authority to enforce motor vehicle laws and if we see a serious violation we will take enforcement action, but we prefer to leave that to the state and local police.

You can try calling the local PD to report a violation if you like.
Posted by: BASSMANinCT

Re: Reporting Violations - 03/13/08 05:15 PM

Thanks. I was asking you directly because I was reading another forum on a poacher catching small striper
Posted by: Rocketman

Re: Reporting Violations - 06/21/08 08:24 PM

I have the Tip Line programed in my cell phone directory. Haven't had the occasion to use it yet (2 yrs.) but that's good. Before I programmed it I always seemed to see violations. I haven't been getting out as much lately either, but I'm sure it's gonna come in handy one of these days.
Posted by: edaves

Re: Reporting Violations - 06/22/08 12:42 PM

As I understand it, the number of Officers able to respond to calls is down, so, when a call made for a violation comes in there may not be action taken directly, but, I think these calls give the Officers a heads up on whats going on in the field. With this in mind patrols can be directed at known trouble spots. So good may come from a call even if immediate actions aren't possible.
Posted by: Don D

Re: Reporting Violations - 12/27/19 06:54 PM

I called your hot line about a couple guys from N.Y. keeping trout in Pleasant Valley at Church Pool on the Farmington which is a no kill area. The person said to me "Pleasant Valley isn't a real town" I guess he doesn't get around much. I told him that I was sitting in the Pleasant Valley drive in making the call. HUH????????????????????
Posted by: Don P

Re: Reporting Violations - 12/27/19 07:46 PM

Well poaching trout in a no kill area doesn’t seem like Pleasant Valley....maybe Death Valley....or Trout In a Barrel Borough.
Posted by: KevinandKym

Re: Reporting Violations - 04/23/23 06:12 PM

I am truly sorry that the state of ct is so ridiculous in not having the resources to protect the investment in fishing in ct.The state gets money from the feds and from ct fees and still do not hire enough officers for enforcement or pay them to live here. Anyway, on Sunday April 23 2023 i was walking my dog in Matties grove park in Barkhamsted on the Farmington river and right in the middle of the beach area of the park in the catch and release,barb less hook area were a CROWD of people catching and keeping multiple trout of all sizes caught on worms with snelled barbed hooks, bass lures with triple treble hooks etc.Some trout were on sticks still alive .When told about the regulations I was laughed at.I will say that this is not even close to the first time almost always on weekends (no ot for rangers i bet) Just for the record (not that it matters) all of the crowd were non english speaking and im sure they dont know the laws. I wish there were signs on trees near the beach to show that its catch and release.
Posted by: KevinandKym

Re: Reporting Violations - 06/15/23 05:58 PM

Just for the record, there are poachers in Matties grove Barkhamsted in peoples forest almost every day (every weekend too)
in the middle of the catch and release area at the beach. I am sick of reporting them especially when i looked up the penalties (laughable} They are using spin tackle with Treble hook lures, snelled hooks etc and keeping all fish at a pretty good rate. Soon the area will be cleared out and they will move on.