What was your favorite dish last night

Posted by: Chris

What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:00 PM

Every dish I tried was excellent. Not a bad dish in the house. But everyone has different taste.
What was you favorite dish?
I'm hate to admitt this but, When I got to the area where there was a smoked turkey,there were two pans there and I only saw one place card so I figured they were both smoked turkeys just different cut's of meat. I grab a nice piece and sat down and I couldn't get over how good it was. It was the best Turkey I ever ate in my life. I'm not a huge fan of turkey ,but this stuff was out of this world. I went back to get more that's when I saw the place card hiding under some foil. It was smoked Striper made by Fish stu. :rolleyes: Fish Stu, Thanks for the best damm non turkey turkey I have ever eaten.
Are you willing to sell me a couple pounds worth?
PLEASE? Also P Dona's Spinach salad. I hate veggies but this stuff is to die for. Thanks Paul for bringing it for me when I knew you hadn't originally planned on doing so.
Like I said at the top every dish was fantastic. Great job everybody. Next year I think I need to bring more than 40 jumbo perch worth of fillet nugets. They didn't make it to the end of the first line serving. Sorry about that.
Posted by: ted

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:06 PM

there were so many i cant firgure out which one i like the best
Posted by: macattack678

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:10 PM

Everything was great but I loved Kim's black fish chowda.
Posted by: JohnS

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:23 PM

I enjoyed some venison, forgot which one, and Chris Med's chowder pushed me over the edge Outstanding chower.
Chris, maybe next year I can help in extracting of yellow perch.
Oh man I almost forgot the fish that was mixed in with the french fries, not sure who brought it and I'm guessing it was cod, that was fantastic!
Posted by: MOONSHINER

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:26 PM

Everything was real good . I know I was full and could not have eaten any more . I think I liked Chris Med " s chowder the best
Posted by: OHMYGOD

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:31 PM

Okay, the Stuffed Hot Cherry peppers were
the Bomb. I loved them.
Posted by: Tall 1

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 02:57 PM

It's like a father trying to say which of his kids he likes the best! :p
However, Chris Med's clam chowder was beyond delicious! Must be the Busch beer or something!I have a gallon zip lock for later! ;\)

The pheasant over polenta and the buffalo dove were incredible too.

Too many great dishes....this isn't fair! \:D
Posted by: scooter72

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 03:00 PM

Yea it's almost impossible to pick just one, stromboli, chowder, pheasant, fried fish, stew, stuffed peppers...
when are we doing this again???? \:D
Posted by: Channel Matt

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tall 1:
However, Chris Med's clam chowder was beyond delicious! Must be the Busch beer or something!I have a gallon zip lock for later! ;\)
\:D
Wow, sounds like I missed out on a good time with great company at the Game Dinner.

Chris Med's batch of clam chowder at Piketoberfest really impressed me and my wife too.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 08:42 PM

I can't believe I forgot Zach's Elk roast.
That was out of this world. I can only imagine that was a pretty exspensive piece of meat.
Zach I'll go 50/50 on a bigger one for next year.
Posted by: Murph

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 08:49 PM

That was my first ctf event and I had a great time.
I enjoyed many of the dishes, but what really stuck out was the elk stew and the corned venision.
I would love that corned venison recipe.
Posted by: Michael-SW CT

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 09:22 PM

Gotta be the elk. A few others I enjoyed where that potatoe salad, yellow perch, yams, and striper.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 09:28 PM

Who was happy with the strawberry shortcake I brought? My dad told me that by the time desert started, it was gone.
Posted by: Zach S.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 10:15 PM

thanks guys- I thought the elk came out great too - definitely a bigger roast next year though- I'd like to try a 5-6 pounder honestly - the meat wasn't so expensive, but the overnight shipping from Colorado was! \:D - I'd do it again in a second!
Posted by: Crazy Ivan

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 10:22 PM

I missed allot of the dishes including all the chowders \:o \:o

I know what I did try was good stuff. Another outstanding game dinner
Posted by: chris med

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:01 PM

I have to say... My buddy Dave who brought the Buffalo dove(from Texas!!!) and Pheastant was so happy it was gone, He just moved down here from Mass and will be joining the site later...HE and HIs wife had a blast...and he was nervous no one would eat it...I had a few pieces in the Kitchen.....DAMN GOOD!.....Chris....PERCH RULES!!! And thanks for letting me steal a piece beforehand , cuz all I really had for dinner was fingernails and Busch by the time I got through the line!!!!!!!. Bill the turkey was as good as it was Friday...Zach I saw the roast roasting...that's it! I know I missed alot of good eats but hey!!!...........My wife and I had such a good time at our table..who knew......
Guys thanks for the kind words of the chowder....I actually had a bowl myself!!!!...I will bring it to every event there is!!!!! ;\) Jon and all again GREAT JOB!!!!

ONE LAST THING....IVAN ...THAT POLLOCK RULED!!!!!! I did get 4 pieces of that......!!!!!!!!
Paul... what can ya say about that salad!!!
Posted by: Skipperj9

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:02 PM

All the venison was bangin especially the corned venison. The buffalo dove/pheasant/bird was pretty awesome as well, but overall hats off goes to chris med's clam chowder, its the winner, no other contestants, id like to thank everyone who cooked... Some good stuff though, i ate so much i couldnt even have another beer, and thats unnatural.
Posted by: PDona

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:14 PM

I had a chance to try Zach's Elk roast! That was awesome.. the buffalo Pheasant I got to try in the kitchen was excellent, too. Fried haddock! Panfish chowder! Venison Corned beef!! I didn't get a chance to try more than half of the items, but what I did have was really tasty!! Great job, everyone!!
THIS IS THE BEST OF THE BEST IN CT!!!!
Posted by: MyGirl

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:16 PM

There were some fantastic recipes, and some were just new ways to cook things so that they came out great. Would appreciate it if folks could put out their recipes in the cooking/recipe section. So many good things to try I never got to all of them.
Posted by: TommyTrebble

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:20 PM

my plate was piled high with lots of great tasting food, but I did like those Perch fillet nuggets a lot.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:31 PM

I agree with Greg S. the Venison slow roasted hind quarter was one of the tops for us!!
\:D
Posted by: Big Beave

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:34 PM

everything was great but the elk roast was increadible plus that was the first time ever trying elk great job zach
Your the beer/brat and the elk king
Posted by: lawman

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:36 PM

I had a nice spicy venison chile that was awesome.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/18/07 11:42 PM

My dad really enjoyed the panfish chowder.
Posted by: Jighead

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/19/07 01:13 AM

I wish I saw the stuffed peppers - not that I wasn't stuffed already.
Posted by: Mycept

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/19/07 09:47 AM

Everything I tried was good....too much different stuff to narrow it down to my one favorite. There are a few items people are listing though that I didn't even try. So much food, had to pick and choose when deciding what to eat.
Posted by: macattack678

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/19/07 08:06 PM

Chris,

Everyone is talking about your chowder. I didn't get any. Must have missed it. Next time.
Posted by: Tall 1

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 12:38 AM

My wife and I just had it for dinner! ;\) Awesome flavors-beyond restaurant quality!

I hated to see it get thrown away so I filled a gallon zip lock.
Posted by: LargeFry

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 02:36 AM

Everything on my plate was great. But I have to say Crazy Ivans deep fried pollack & haddock was worth the price of admission alone!!! Wow that was great, now I gotta find out where to find some of those, I don't think they stock the local lake with them. :p

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 12:41 PM

I never got to try the Venison hind quarter. It wasn't sliced when I was in line
(one of the first) Greg took it into the kitchen to carve it up ,I waited something like 20 minutes yet he never reappeared. I figured maybe something went wrong with it? Maybe it wasn't cooked enough to serve? Now I see this and know what happened.

At least I got to see what it looked like. :rolleyes: \:D
Posted by: Bob Bradley

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 12:43 PM

I wondered where that leg walked off to.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 12:45 PM

Na, Chris, I helped Greg carve that thing up, and Paul D ran to the table with it!! Usually Venison hind quarter is really dry.. This was moist, and awesome!!!
Posted by: Crazy Ivan

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeFry:
Everything on my plate was great. But I have to say Crazy Ivans deep fried pollack & haddock was worth the price of admission alone!!! Wow that was great, now I gotta find out where to find some of those, I don't think they stock the local lake with them. :p
Thanks.....

I used this brand name fish fry, but without the lemon

From this web site:
Louisiana fish fry
Posted by: Bob Bradley

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 01:02 PM

It's a real secret recipe. To make it, you first buy a 3# roast beef and put it in your upstairs refrigerator. Keep the hindquarter in your downstairs fridge. Next send your daughter home with instructions to "put the roast beef in the oven on 325 for about 50 min". She will ignore the 3# roast in the upstairs fridge, go down in the cellar to retrieve the 12# hindquarter, and put that in the oven. Next come home from work, look in the oven, scream, and in a panic, pull it out and put it back in the downstairs fridge. Have leftovers for supper that night.

This seals in the juices real well.

Seriously, here's how I would normally do it:

Cut a dozen or so deep slits in the piece, and slide garlic cloves that have been cut in half deeply into each slit.

Generously salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary the outside of the roast.

Place a few pats of butter on the roast.

OPTIONAL:
Cut up several potatoes, carrots, and big chunks of onion and celery, and distribute them around the roast, along with a can of beef broth.

Place roast in the oven at high temp (450 - 475) for about 20 min. (This replaces having your daughter try to cook it the night before.)

Reduce the oven to about 225 and cook for another 3 - 4 hours, or until interior temp reaches about 140 on the thermometer. Remove from oven, cover with foil and a towel or two, and let sit for about 20 - 30 min.

If, as was the case Sat, the roast is done a bit too soon, reduce the oven to about 175 and leave the roast in for another hour to keep it warm.

This was actually the first time I cooked a whole hindquarter, so I may have just gotten lucky. We'll know for sure next year.
Bob
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/20/07 10:19 PM

Hey, I never said all of the hind quater made it to the table :rolleyes: . Guess who made a sandwich out of the last few peices that were picked out from under the vegies that the vultures missed \:D \:D . Jon anounced the main courses and it looked like rabid hyenias on a freash kill \:D \:D . Did get to eat much as they cleaned everything out fast. Next year I nominate myself taste tester before before the serving line starts.
I vote for Chris's chowder too, but everything I tried was fantastic .
Posted by: chris med

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/21/07 01:35 PM

Rabid hyenias......I never saw 130 people line up so fast, Damn I wish I coulda tasted some of that stuff,...there was nothing left when I got there!, Except Ivans fish,,,mmmmmmmm
Posted by: finch9c1

Re: What was your favorite dish last night - 02/27/07 03:01 PM

I'm glad I'm reading this post as I'm having lunch. It looks like everyone enjoys eating it as much as catching it.