SHAD! 2022

Posted by: No Fish Today

SHAD! 2022 - 03/21/22 08:10 PM

Welcome back to the channel, LOL! It's time for my annual shad run thread. Buckle up, and let's roll... headbanger1

I went out last Thursday for a few hours casting practice. I had stopped by to scout E. Barber St., but the CT River was too high, and muddy. So I went up behind Bart's. There were 2 regulars already there with their arms in a cast. Considering how mostly dry it's been, the water level was pretty decent, clear, slow current, and flat. No breeze to speak of, clear day, and warm. I didn't grab a water temp, but no matter, nobody caught anything, not so much as a nibble.

Sunday I was able to get out again. Same-same as Thursday afternoon up behind Bart's, except there were 3 regulars taking casting practice when I got there. Again, not so much as a rumor of fish, of any species.

Today, I played hooky from work, and went out for a few hours this afternoon. Once again behind Bart's. Surface water temp. was a solid 50ºF, and other conditions much the same as Thursday and yesterday. The weather was cooler today, with a little breeze to start. By 3:pm the breeze freshened, and became rather blustery. One regular was on the bank killing time, certainly not fish. Another regular joined us to make a threesome--git yer minds out of the gutter, LOL! Again, no fish today. By this time last year, a few shad were being caught, albeit not by me...

Soon, I expect soon we will see, or at least get a report of shad caught. On another note, my brother in Christmas-town, Penna. is currently scouting the Delaware River, and learning the nuances of that shad run. I hope to join him down there, sometime in mid-April for a weekend on the Delaware.

Tight lines!
Posted by: MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/21/22 09:08 PM

Your recon is much appreciated. It can be too long before the Shad show up in numbers. Catching them is like the lottery... you have to be in it to win it. I am thinking another week or two unless somebody connects big time. I am sure it was great to get out and enjoy the nice spring day.

MikeV
Posted by: O-BASS

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/21/22 09:45 PM

George I'm so glad to see you back for the spring and really look forward to your reports all season long. I hope to be able to meet you this year. To give you a little bit of first-hand intelligence I happened to fish one of the local coves on the middle portion of the Connecticut River today and we experienced a few fish breaking on the surface. I was told they were gizzard Shad by one of the local kayak Anglers with a lot more experience than myself in this particular location. I was not aware that gizzard Shad came in in the abundance that they evidently do, as I had assumed that it was a species that did not have a very large presence in this state. Not a lot of gizzard Shad pass through the gates of the local fish gates monitored every year based on my observations over the past few years. However, gizzard Shad are an interesting fish and a welcome sign of things to come. If one anadromous species is making the move, certainly others are on the verge.

We also saw the first Osprey of the year, my favorite bird.

It's here Brothers! The best of the best times of the year...

O'
Posted by: cat_in_the_hat

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/22/22 09:14 AM

Good to see you here bright and early in the season, no need to file a CTF missing persons report as in other years when you do not post early. No one else in my recollection has had that honor here. Personally my shad season still in doubt, but 4 weeks after MCL tendon tear, past few days have been able to actually walk a few steps without cane or crutches, physical therapy continues. Hope for sufficient recovery by mid April to be able to take out the boat or maybe fish from a chair at The Wall in Cromwell.

I will resume my shad thread and start on new on one shad tackle and techniques if and when I am able. For those interested in lead free trolling sinkers and darts, I make those. Also willow leaves and tin removable split shot as well. While not interested in being a business will help out those in need. So far have not found anyone on the planet making lead free bismuth/tin trolling sinkers, hope some else gets the urge and wants to corner the market. I will provide technical assistance.
Posted by: earl bird

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/22/22 06:30 PM

I always, as a former shad fisherman, enjoy your reports each year.
Keep them coming.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/23/22 06:05 AM

Paul, I'm sorry to hear about the MCL tear. That'll put a damper on your season. Let's hope you are able to salvage some of it by the time the girls are in town. Paul, and the rest of you reprobates, thanks for the kind words.

Yesterday I went out behind Bart's after work, arriving a little after 4:pm and fished about 1.5 hours. The water level was down a little from Monday, and clear, but the current had picked up a little. Surface temp was a hair under 50ºF, at 48º/49º. The breeze was coming down cold from upstream. One regular had arrived just ahead of me and was setting up. We got into casting practice together shortly. Within 10 minutes we were joined by one of the next generation of shadaholics; so young, and already on the path to ruination... biggrin

In summation, we all took a fair bit of casting practice, but as of yet, no fish today. If the rain holds off this afternoon, and it looks like it will, I'll give it another shot after work today.

Tight lines!
Posted by: Buck

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/23/22 09:29 AM

I was a part owner of a ski chalet on the upper Delaware River that we used as a hunting/fishing camp. Mothers Day was the magic time for roe shad to arrive in our area. We would fish from boats that were anchored upstream from a major compression point that would funnel the shad to us as they moved upstream. They went fairly far up the Delaware even from us, some all the way to Hancock.
That run today is almost non-existent. Maybe they short-stop somewhere, maybe the volumes just aren't there, I only know they aren't in that area in the volumes they used to be.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/23/22 07:31 PM

Hey Now, Buck!
Thanks for the 411. My brother lives in Christmas-town (B-hem), and is exploring the Delaware within an hour of his 10-20. I'll pass that along to him for when he fishes with his kayak.
Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/23/22 07:48 PM

I'll give you three guesses what I did after work today, and the first two don't count...

Up behind Bart's a little after 4:pm. It was overcast and cool, ~53ºF air temp, but with no breeze to speak of today. The water was down about 1'+/-, flat, clear with a tepid current, and the surface temp. about 47ºF. The current picked up a smidge within an hour, but could have been better. On my second cast, one of the regulars pulled up, the only one to join me today. We put our arms in a cast for the next 1.5 hours before I left to get my supper while he continued fishing. No fish today.

If you don't remember my preferred setup, or you're new to this screed:

Tackle:
Rod: one-piece Ugly Stik, 4'6" U/L Pro
Reel: Penn 4200 SS, spooled with 15# Power Pro (Hi-Viz Yellow)

Terminal Tackle: 5/8 oz drail over a 3', 8# flouro leader, and willow leaves in whatever color I feel like, or someone else is catching shad with, or I have left...

We've been throwing the rainbow (of willow leaf colors) at them, all for naught. Thus far. I'll post up what works when the darlings put the bite on. Gotta get the ears checked after work tomorrow, so I won't be out again until Friday.

Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/24/22 02:10 PM

No Fish, to be more specific, the Chalet was in Masthope which is just above the junction of the Delaware River and the Lackawaxen River in Lackawaxen Pa. This is quite a bit north (upstream) from the Bethlehem area. There is a boat launch in Lackawaxen Pa. and our Chalet ski community had its own launch further upstream where I launched my boat and then ran the rapids upstream to a slow stretch above a compression point.
Closer to him is my old shad fishing spots in Jersey when I was growing up there in the late 50s and 60s. Again, you are looking for compression points or funnels. The Delaware is too wide for simple blind casting, you need a shore spot where the shoreline is one side of a compression point with a gravel bar on the other.
My Jersey spot was in the old Worthington Tract a few miles upstream from the Delaware Water Gap bridge. This used to be an exclusive private hunting preserve but when the Pa., Jersey, and the Feds were buying up land just above the bridge for the Tocks Island dam to dam up the Delaware they bought the Worthington Tract and turned it into Worthington State Forest. This area is one of the best deer and bear spots in Jersey. Fortunately the dam was never built and miles of Pa. and NJ shoreline from the Water Gap Bridge upstream to Port Jervis NJ and Milford Pa. is open to the public and is literally over 66,000 acres just in the National Park section excluding lands owned by Jersey and Pa.
So my spot was known as The Steps. The Steps were cement stairs that went from a long gone cabin down to the shore of the river. This is now public land. It is located somewhere between the Water Gap bridge on Rt. 80 and the confluence of the Flatbrook creek on the Jersey side with the Delaware. During shad season the Steps will be found by checking out the parked cars, walking in, and asking where The Steps are located. Or if they are catching at his spot just fish there. But The Steps were home base for Jersey's best shad fishermen. That should be your Brother's upper boundry. Below is an article about shad and their yearly wanderings.

https://www.thefisherman.com/article/2020-shad-forecast-dreaming-of-the-delaware/

Another article high-lights the best spots on the Delaware from the tidal section all the way to the Hancock area at the junction of the west and east branches of the Delaware system. It includes my Lackawaxen spots.

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/fishing_crappies-panfish-fishing_pa_0309_01/194679

Another map of the Worthington State Forest may show where The Steps are located. From the Water Gap Bridge go north on Old Mine Road. The map will show the words for Pa. and Jersey and just north of the words are the words Smithfield Beach in Pa. and Raccoon Ridge in NJ. Draw a line between Smithfield and Raccoon and at that point in the river, go north and Old Mine Road is close to the river. I think it was in this stretch where there were cabins that were removed when the Tocks Island project was being planned but The Steps remain. Notice that river offers nice compression spots in this section that extends north to the big island in the river. Copy/Paste the below link in the address line and hit enter.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Worthington+State+Forest/@41.021048,-75.0991126,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xde5e558f7bad75bb!8m2!3d40.9974724!4d-75.0836631

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/24/22 05:24 PM

Also there are numerous YouTube videos on shad fishing the Delaware River, including those by George Shields, he has posted his first 2022 shad catch. Also consider hitching a boat ride out onto the Delaware.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/25/22 08:11 PM

After work I went up behind Bart's, arriving a little after 4:pm. One regular was plying the bank with his arm in a cast. The water was about the same level as yesterday, but flowing fairly well. And surprisingly clear for the rain we had gotten. Surface temp was ~48ºF. Air was mild, and calm; very pleasant. After an hour and a half, my belly began complaining for its supper, and I still had to swing by the grocery store, so I called it a day.

No fish today, but I'll try it tomorrow before it rains, and snaps cold on Sunday and Monday. Much of next week doesn't look promising, but I'll take it day by day, and play it by ear.

Tight lines!
Posted by: Don P

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/25/22 08:55 PM

Can’t wait until we read your report of you connecting with a Shad!!!…..any day now

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 03/26/22 07:15 PM

We'll make this report brief. I even wore my old CTF hat in hopes it would change my luck. No fish today.

I was on the water behind Bart's by 11:30 am, sunny and mild, very light breeze from upriver. Water had risen ~5" from yesterday, not too turbid, almost clear. Not much for current, and water temp was ~46º/47ºF. I had the place to myself. After 2 1/2 hours, the clouds had built, and it started to spit and drizzle. No fish today. Still, it was nice to be out of the house.

The weather through Wednesday looks unsettled, and Monday WTF! I don't think I'll be getting out again before Thursday.

Buck, thanks for the more detailed 411 on the Delaware. I will share it with my brother, and we'll try to put it into practice if I get a chance. It seems they are catching a few around the Easton area, and I thought I saw a report from up where you used to have the chalet. Paul (Cat in the Hat), thanks for the YouTube video info, I will check it out.

Shamelessly pilfered off the DRSFA (Delaware River Shad Fisherman's Association) web page:
An Old Fisherman's Poem
When the Lord made shad, the Devil was mad,
For it seemed such a feast of delight,
So to poison the scheme, He jumped in the stream,
And stuck in the bones out of spite.

Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/02/22 04:09 PM

On Thursday I went out for an hour after work. The water was down about 4' from the last trip behind Bart's. Water temp was just a hair over 40ºF, air temp about 60ºF and really pleasant. Except for snags, I got nothing. No fish today.

Today I went out after doing my chores, arrived a little after 1:pm behind Bart's. Three regulars were plying the bank and a few more were jawing up on the sidewalk. The heavy rain yesterday and last night brought the water up about 2'. It was remarkably clear, fair current, and a bit warmer than my last trip, at 46ºF. Eventually one of the gum-beaters zipped his lip and joined us taking casting practice. When it wasn't breezy, it was really nice in the sun, but when it blew it was cold. I lasted 2 hours before I was feeling the cold in more than just my fingers, so it was time to head home. No fish today.

Side notes:
One of the regulars caught a nice 21" buck shad yesterday afternoon, about 5-ish I think. Finally!

Last Thursday, my leaders were breaking on the knots when I snagged bottom. I think the spool of flouro I was using has not aged well (going on it's 3rd year, P-line). I replaced it with Vanish, but bumped up to 10#. I didn't snag as much today as last Thursday, so for now I will reserve judgement, rather than spouting a half-baked opinion. I'll let time tell me if I made the right choice.

Don't know when I will get out again, it's going to depend on the weather, which looks unsettled for next week. Until then, tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/02/22 07:52 PM

21” buck Shad yesterday! That’s great news

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/03/22 03:19 PM

Noted George Shield's last YouTube video 3-27-22 catching shad in the Delaware River. It looked like a very distinctive spot so went to Google Earth and zipped up the Delaware, apparently found it in a couple of minutes. Walk out on concrete partial dam from near Towle’s Towing 343 S Main St, Lambertville, NJ 08530.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/03/22 04:16 PM

Thanks, Paul. I'll pass that 411 on to my brother, that's down by New Hope, PA. It's about an hour south of my brother, I don't think he's willing to drive that far one-way.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/03/22 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: No Fish Today

Last Thursday, my leaders were breaking on the knots when I snagged bottom. I think the spool of flouro I was using has not aged well (going on it's 3rd year, P-line). I replaced it with Vanish, but bumped up to 10#. I didn't snag as much today as last Thursday, so for now I will reserve judgement, rather than spouting a half-baked opinion. I'll let time tell me if I made the right choice.

Don't know when I will get out again, it's going to depend on the weather, which looks unsettled for next week. Until then, tight lines!

George throw the old P line out to avoid the temptation to try and use it. I've experienced the same situation sometimes from line that has been sitting in the sun or has just aged at the store. If you're consistently cracking offline oh, the fluorocarbon is no good. I have dealt with this many times and although P line is an excellent choice is still susceptible to the same phenomenon. Can't figure out what does it but it certainly does get brittle in snaps often times at the reel for me.

Line is cheap, but those memories are priceless. Use the new spool.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/03/22 08:36 PM

Great thread. Glad to hear a shad has been landed. Hopefully there will be many more to follow. Good line/fresh line is not cheap, but is a bargain vs unnecessarily losing tackle due to weak spots. Capturing a great fish is always priceless. Discard any line that you do not trust implicitly. I store my regular mono line and leaders in a large sealed tupperware bin. Some of it is several years old and is till fine. I think it is a good idea to store all line and leader material in airtight, light proof bins at normal room temperatures.

Can't be long before they start to show in numbers.

Tight lines,

MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/04/22 10:46 AM

2022 Windsor Shad Master's Fishing Tournament

http://www.windsorshadderby.org/shad-masters-fishing-derby.html

Dates: Friday, April 29th through Sunday, May 1st
Times: 6 am - dusk Friday and Saturday, 6 am - 2 pm Sunday
Cost: $20 for seniors, juniors are free

If I am physically able will be trolling the CT River away from the Farmington River traffic jam.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/05/22 06:52 AM

Monday, 4.April: On the water after work by 4:15 pm. Water was up ~1'-1.5' from Saturday, clear, fair current, 49ºF. Enough current that I changed weight from 5/8 oz to 3/4 oz. Two regulars were plying the bank on arrival, a 3rd joined us by 4:30 pm, and a 4th before 5:pm. All we got for our effort was casting practice. By 5:45 the rumbly in my tumbly convinced me to go get my supper. No fish today.

I'll head out after work to try again today. Keeping my fingers crossed for tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/05/22 07:32 PM

After work I landed on the Farm'y behind Bart's by 4:20 pm, and had the place to myself for 25 minutes before one lone regular joined me. For such a nice day, I can't believe we had the bank to ourselves. The water was down ~1.5' from yesterday, clear and with a very good current. Surface temp was a hair over 50º. We had our arms in a cast until about 6:10 pm, but it was only casting practice. No fish today.

Weather looks unsettled for the next few days, and that will probably keep the shad off the bite into next week. I'll still keep trying, depending on the weather. It's supposed to warm next week, maybe that will get the schools running.

Tight lines!
Posted by: kayak fisher

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/06/22 05:16 PM

Thank you for your reports. Although I don't plan on doing any shad fishing, I enjoy reading about your adventures.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/08/22 06:23 PM

KF Bob, glad you like following my rambling musings on shad. laugh

I stopped after work today, behind Bart's by 4:15 pm. Three folx working the bank, but not so much as a hint of shad. The water was up only about 8" from when I stopped by the other day (didn't fish), but it was coffee colored, and the current was ripping. I had trouble holding the bottom with a 1 oz weight. Water temp was 49ºF. There wasn't much flotsam, but there was a bunch of debris submerged in the current. Mostly I collected last fall's leaves, bits of grasses, and weeds that were scoured off the bottom from the current. I gave up after a half hour; no fish today.

Tomorrow looks like a bust, rain forecast am and pm. Sunday I have plans, so it looks like next week will be my next outing. Until then, tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/08/22 06:52 PM

Stay at it. They will come!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/10/22 07:38 AM

First, I must thank you for being "the shad canary in the coal mine". Your postings enable guys like me to view what is going on in real time and act quickly when the situation changes. Thanks again.

The fishing gods will hopefully reward you with first dibs on the mother load. A catch of 6+ on that outing sounds about right. Thanks again and have no doubt that you will very soon, as Mick Jagger/The Rolling Stones sang, get "Shad-ed Doup Da Doobie"

Tight Lines,

MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/12/22 08:48 PM

I went out after work, and arrived behind Bart's by 4:15 pm. The water was down about 3' from my last visit, clear, with a good current, and a surface temp ~52ºF. The sun was in and out, there was a light breeze running down from upstream, but the air temp was nice and warm, so I rolled up my shirt sleeves. There were four regulars plying the water, and three jawing by the road, whom I joined for a while getting the 411. Yesterday 5 shad were reported as caught, at least 3 from a boater down by the mouth area, and a couple of our regulars landed shad at the bank. Today, to this point only a couple of alewives were caught. After getting the sit-rep, I grabbed my gear, took a recently vacated spot, and started my practice casting reps with the reprobates who remained.

After 5:pm, one of the regulars got into a decent shad. After a few good runs, and a jump, I helped him with my net to land a nice fat, if smallish roe. We didn't measure or weigh it, but I'd guess about 3#, thick and full of eggs. It was nice to see the ladies are beginning to show up, and she was released unharmed. It was the 2nd shad the guy got this season (his first shad was on 1 April, and the first reported caught that I know of). Other than casting practice, I got the stinky kitty. skunk So no fish today for me, but at least I got to see one up close, and live.

I'll be out again on Thursday. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/13/22 08:56 AM

Given the arrival of shad in the Farmington, planning a scouting trip to The Wall in Cromwell tomorrow at first light to see how things are. Water is at a good level 30,000 cubic feet/second, low turbidity, 46 degrees in Thompsonville. If the knee is too crabby to go I will so post early tomorrow. If not, I will be there as the sun rises.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/14/22 11:09 AM

Arrived at The Wall 6AM, a few regulars by 9AM, no confirmed shad hits by anyone by 10AM when I left, will try again in a week. Detailed post on my shad thread.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/14/22 06:30 PM

Paul (cat_in_the_hat), thanks for the 411 on the Wall, it's much appreciated. One of the regulars said he had gotten a call yesterday from one of the Rocky Hill/Cromwell area regulars about conditions at the Wall.
He reported the water level and current was good, but the water was so turbid, and full of submerged debris that fishing was unproductive there.

On to today's report:
I had taken the day off for a morning appointment, so after lunch, I headed up behind Bart's. I arrived between 12:15-12:30 pm to find 7-8 people taking casting practice on the bank. Zero (Ø) shad, and only a couple of alewives C&R prior to my arrival. The water was down about 1' from my last trip on Tuesday, the current remained strong, and the water was only slightly turbid, with a surface temp of 56ºF. Bill said that I "should have been here yesterday," of course. He reported that he had spent 4 "productive hours perfecting" his casting technique, until about 2:pm. And that's when it got busy, the shad showed up. He said they caught about 12 altogether. He personally hooked 4 and landed 2, his first of the year.

As we cast, we watched a USFWS crew treating alewives for their depression with electroshock therapy. I, of course, mean they were in fact surveying the depressed numbers of alewives in the river systems. One of the officers came up to visit our silly selves, and take pix of fishermen for a (5 year?) report they are drafting about the findings of their research for the Marine Fisheries Council. He said that the alewife count is way down over last year. I wonder if anyone is doing research on menhaden, and other forage species, and if those numbers are down, too. He didn't say it, but anecdotally, the uninformed musings of my muddled mind think the diminished numbers of alewives (and possibly other species) has something to do with the bleak striper numbers, aside from by-catch mortality. Enough of my drivel on that deadhorse ...

Before I headed out at 3:30 pm, 3 shad had been C&R by 2 regulars fishing the bank a little apart from the larger crüe of reprobates ignoring personal spaces on the rock pile. I'll be back again tomorrow after work. I remain, still, no fish today.

Terminal tackle: 1 oz. drail over 4', 10# flouro leader and willow leaves in bright colors.

And I have to tip my CTFisherman's hat to CTFer, Andy C, who joined the motley crüe on said rockpile. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/15/22 08:40 PM

Today after work I pulled up behind Bart's by 4:15 pm. There were a half dozen regulars working the bank on arrival. The water was up about 8" from yesterday, about the same clarity, but the current was noticeably stiffer. Surface water temp was surprisingly 58ºF! Shortly after I arrived, one of the regulars had a solid hit, but was only able to play it for a few minutes before he got fouled by another angler downstream which allowed the shad to slip the hook. Other than a small bronze back, nothing was biting. No fish today, so I headed out for supper after 2 hours with my arm in a cast.

It was reported that about a dozen shad were caught early in the morning (6-ish?). Reports are that the CT river is still too turbid, even if the water level and temps are about right. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/16/22 04:57 PM

Parked behind Bart's at 11:am. A dozen regulars were working the bank, a couple of shad had been caught before I arrived. Scuttlebutt was early morning was most productive. The water was up a few inches from yesterday, the current was good, but not as stiff as yesterday, clear, with a temp ~55ºF. In the 2 hours I was there, I saw 3 shad caught, and a couple more fought and lost. And all I got was skunk. Maybe next time...

Have a Happy Easter, and tight lines!
Posted by: duckhuntingfreak

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/16/22 09:04 PM

Just got a reliable report of shad being caught along the Cromwell shore front! From an old timer!! That's all I got, sorry!!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/18/22 02:26 PM

Confirming via first and second hand reports significant numbers of shad now being taken at The Wall in Cromwell. Tentatively planning a run down there tomorrow morning before the expected inch of rain has a chance to discolor the water. Expect to be there between 6 and 7AM when the rain is ending. Will post early if I do not feel up for it when I get up.
Posted by: poppi57

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/18/22 04:27 PM

Fished The Wall this morning with two friends. Three fish caught between 5:45 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. It was cold to say the least.Two other guys fishing with no luck.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/18/22 08:06 PM

Paul and Poppi, thanks for the Wall report. A reliable local has reported that he's been getting them over the last 3 days or so. I think he reported 8 on Sunday morning. I will probably make a trip down there later this week, or this weekend for sure.

Arrived behind Bart's at 4:15 pm after work to find seven regulars working the bank. About 4:30 2 shad were caught close to the RR bridge, and another angler showed up about then. He quickly landed 2 fat roes to my left. About 4:45 pm one of the guys to the far left landed another shad. A short run over the course of about 15-20 minutes. I had one bump, but it felt like it mouthed the weight, and still no fish today...

The water was about the same level as the last trip, 52ºF, clear with a good current. A 3/4 oz drail held the bottom pretty well. We'll see how tonight's rain will affect things tomorrow. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/19/22 06:06 AM

I will pass on The Wall this morning, strong gusty winds and wet rocks a bit risky for a guy using a crutch because of a gimpy knee. Will instead finish prepping the boat and equipment for shad trolling, then plan a shakedown cruise soon on Coventry Lake to test out everything. First exploratory shad trolling launch will be Rocky Hill then south when shad fishing confirmed good at The Wall.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/19/22 08:15 PM

Parked by the RR bridge behind Bart's at 4:20 pm, to find only 3 people working the bank. Two others were leaving carrying 3 shad as I set up, and there was a shad on the bank with another regular. The water was up about 2' from yesterday, clear with a strong current, surface temp. 50ºF. It was mostly cloudy, and with the wind it was cold. Eventually several more folx arrived and put their arms in a cast. I only saw one blueback C&R, and one shad caught and kept before I left just after 6:pm. I'm getting a good workout with my casting practice, but no fish today.

Until tomorrow, tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/20/22 07:59 PM

Much as last night, I parked by the RR bridge behind Bart's at 4:15 pm, and only 3 regulars were working the bank. The water had risen another 1', and the current was ripping. I had to change to a 1 oz. weight it was so fast. It was a little turbid, but not too bad, and not much debris floating by, the water temp was a hair below 50ºF.

One of the regulars had C&R 3 shad before I got there. Shortly after I put my arm in a cast, he hooked a nice fat, if small roe, ~3#. He let her go after a Kodak Moment™. A few more joined us, and one of the recent arrivals, who like me has been on a losing streak, finally hooked up, and C&R a nice shad, I think it was a buck. I fished almost 2 hours before hunger induced me to head for home. No fish today, this is discouraging.

Ah well, I can't catch them sitting at home wishing, so I will be back again tomorrow and Friday after work. And if the water comes down, or reports confirm they are catching shad, by Saturday or Sunday I hope to hit the Wall. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/21/22 08:04 PM

Short report: Fished for over 2 hours after work, still no fish today, man I'm off my game. Almost everyone else (9 others) landed at least one. Bill had 3, before I got there. I saw 7 caught, about 4 released while I was there.

The water was down about 1' from yesterday, with a clear, strong current. I didn't get a temp today, but as it continues to fall, it should be warming a little with the milder weather over the next couple of days. I'll be back tomorrow after work. And by Saturday or Sunday I think the CT river will have cleared up enough to fish the Wall, I'll have to scout it Saturday. In the meantime, tight lines!
Posted by: Don D

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/22/22 12:57 PM

Man, you sure put in the time. I used to fish behind Bart's every year off the rocks above the tracks. I no longer can get down that bank thus, no more shad fishing there for me. Hope you get some soon. That is a place where you have to be there when they come through. Thanks for the reports. They are very enjoyable.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/22/22 09:25 PM

Today's report is much the same-same as yesterday's, except Bill only managed to land one before I arrived. And he was leaving as I set up. Saw 6 shad caught, with most released, including a FAT roe.
The water was down over 1' from yesterday, temp. 52ºF, clear with a good current. No fish today (for me), but there is always tomorrow. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/23/22 07:48 PM

After I finished my chores, and contributing to the domestic tranquility, I headed down to Cromwell to scout the Wall. Only 2 people were fishing the far end, down toward Middletown, and they had meat sticks set out, marinating whatever they were soaking. The water there remains high, and quite turbid, but looked manageable. So I took a couple of casts to gauge the current. I had no trouble finding, and holding the bottom with a 1.5 oz drail. But I've never done well fishing in a coffee pot, so I bugged out to the Farm'y behind Bart's.

I arrived at Bart's a little before 2:pm, and a friend who normally targets trout and stripers joined me. He had come out once last year, and he hadn't hooked up then, but he was game to try again. On arrival, we found a half dozen reprobates (regulars) taking casting practice, and over the course of the afternoon, several more folx joined us. The water was about the same level as yesterday, clear, with a decent current, most were tossing 3/4 oz weights, and holding bottom was easy. However, the consensus was that this was not a good day, and shad were scarce. Fortunately, that was dispelled when a couple of shad were caught a little while later (3:15-ish?), and there were a few alewives in the mix for variety. My buddy hooked up, and lost his V-card when he landed a middling buck, a nice shad with good color. I FINALLY, got on the board when I hooked a middling buck with little fight in him. Until the water got skinny, and he didn't like the accommodations. After a few short, spirited runs, we netted my vitamin shad. I love the sound of my drag...

By 4:pm, the scattered run had died out, and it turned out to be a fair day after all. Not a lot of shad were caught, but enough to keep it interesting for about an hour or so. As my buddy and I were leaving, we saw another small shad caught, that was about 5:30 pm. Hunger was calling more than the shad, so we headed to our respective abodes for our suppers. I will be back again tomorrow, until then GL, and tight lines!

Tackle:
Rod: Ugly Stik 4'6" U/L Pro
Reel: a Penn 4200 SS, spooled with 15# Hi-Viz Yellow Power Pro

Terminal Tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a 3', 10# flouro leader. I have been throwing the rainbow at them, but today a hammered silver willow leaf in chartreuse and white with black lines and a dot sealed the deal.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/24/22 09:05 PM

Today, after harvesting a handful of Ramps, and replacing the deadbolt that failed (pot-metal guts just CRUMBLED), I hit the Farm'y behind Bart's just after 11:am. Seven reprobates were taking casting practice, and only one shad on the bank. The water was down over 1' from yesterday, and clear, but the current was slow, and the temp was ~54ºF. I sized down to a 5/8 oz drail, and had no trouble holding the bottom. I eventually got a hookset close to the bank, but when the water got really skinny, it rolled and dropped the leaf before we could net it. At least I got a look, and it looked like a middling buck.
We C&R a bunch of alewives, I had a half dozen, and saw another dozen caught around me. The highlight of the morning was when the pike that tried to steal Bill's stringer (TWICE in as many days..bold MF!) latched onto one of the alewives, mid-retrieve, right in front of Bill. I swear, it was taunting him, LOL! Bill tried netting the pike, but it dropped the bucky at the net. And then it came back at the bucky. Same-same result; 3rd time was the charm. The pike held fast, and was netted. After a Kodak Moment™, the pike was released, and the torn up bucky was given to the pike as a reward. At first it swam away, but circled back around, grabbed it and took off. And then we got the 411 from the Wall. They were catching a few shad. I had only taken my U/L this morning, and knew I'd need my heavier rod/reel set up, so I ran home before I headed down to the Wall.

I arrived at the Wall about 2:25pm. Bill, and our 411 reporter and a couple of other regulars were plying the water. A couple of shad were on the bank, and a couple of more had been sent back whence they came before I got there. Third time is the charm, on my 3rd cast I got a good hookset on the final retrieve close to the wall. We netted a middling buck. Sweet, another on the board. A few of the others also caught shad around me, and then things slowed down for a while. We were jawing with a curious on-looker, when a regular at the Wall landed a middling buck. And then another. He was using an U/L set up, and that got my attention. I set down my bigger rig, and grabbed my U/L from the car. And within minutes, hooked into a middling buck. We got a fair look at him at the Wall, but he threw the leaf. 15 minutes later I got a good hit, and hookset. This one was heavier, and gave me a good tussle with the U/L. Eventually I was able to work it into net range, but she wasn't having it and tried to run a few times. Have I ever mentioned how much I love the sound of my drag? laugh Eventually she was coaxed into a net, a nice 3#+ roe. I love the fight with that U/L!

I had to cook supper tonight, so I headed home. It was a good day, 2 hours on the Farm'y this morning, and another 2 hours on the Wall this afternoon. I will be out tomorrow after work, probably at the Wall depending on the 411.

Tackle starting out at the Wall: Penn 4400 SS spinning reel, mated to a 6'0" Ugly Stik Med-Heavy action, Elite one-piece rod spooled with 15# Hi-Viz Yellow Power Pro.
Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail, over 4' of 10# flouro leader.

Tackle finishing the day at the Wall: Penn 4200 SS spinning reel, mated to a 4'6" Ugly Stik U/L Pro one-piece rod spooled with 15# Hi-Viz Yellow Power Pro.
Terminal Tackle: 1 oz drail over a 4', 10# flouro leader.

I therw the rainbow at them today. Florescent pink w/black dot, chartreuse w/black dot, and yellow with red dot got the most hits today. YMMV, and invariably will...

Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/24/22 11:05 PM

Some action!!!! Congrats

Funny about that tormenting Pike

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/25/22 09:46 AM

Glad to see you getting into shad.
Nice job.

MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/25/22 08:47 PM

After work I headed down to the Wall, arriving at 4:30 pm I found 6 or so regulars working it. Bill C showed up as I was unpacking my tackle from the car. He said he had caught 10 there this morning, around 11-ish for a couple of hours. The water was down from yesterday, there was some flotsam drifting by, but the water was mostly clear. I used my U/L set up with 1 oz of weight, and had no problem holding the bottom. I got bumped once before 5:pm, and had a solid hookset right about 5, landing a middling buck which was promptly released after a Kodak Moment™. Within 5 minutes, I had my second shad of the day holding the line. He was spunky, diving and trying to stay deep. I had to work the U/L to get him to the net. Things got quiet after that, and a few more people joined us, bringing the total to over 1 dozen shadaholics.

Things picked up a little after 5:30 pm, and I landed another middling buck just before 6:pm. He was a fighter, running deep, and making a couple of runs to make my drag sing a little. [img]https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=626D1BAC[/img]

Hunger drove me out of there around 6:45 pm. Today was a good day, a lot of shad were landed, and most released. We got the 411 about E Barbor St/Bissell boat launch from one of the regulars, he caught a couple of big roes there. Some of us will be headed to the Bissell launch tomorrow to try for a big girl, or two.

The winning leaf for me was chartreuse with an orange dot, it got all three today. Until tomorrow, tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/26/22 10:36 AM

Nice fish!

MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/26/22 08:13 PM

I slabbed by E. Barber St/Bissell boat launch at 4:30 pm after work. It was misty and drizzling, which may explain the presence of only 2 people fishing; one for shad, one drowning worms. Shad man said he had caught 2 about a half hour before I arrived, the master-baiter had caught nothing. Shad man managed to catch one before he left a few minutes later. And as I was setting up, one of the regulars from Bart's and the Wall showed up. The current was languid at best, but the river was clear, and at a good level, just below the 2nd cleat on the ramp.

After about a half hour of casting practice I hooked into a middling buck. I got a look at him as he threw the hook at the ramp before we could bring him to the net. Our regular guy hooked a shad quite away out, and it took him the better part of 10 minutes to get it close enough to the ramp to get a look at her. She was a big, fat roe, a nice big girl with good color, but she was not a fan of the skinny water. So she rolled, and threw the hook out of net range. Another regular, a young guy who showed up a couple or 3 years ago, but has established himself as a dedicated dead-beat on the bank at Bart's also showed up to take casting practice.

Other than a few taps and bumps, all I dragged out besides a limit of wooden eels (aka: stick fish; not to be confused with a fish stick), was a couple of 3/4 oz drails, and a nice, new hammered silver willow leaf w/reflective green tape, and yellow paint w/black dot. I lost one rig, weight, leader, and leaf, so I came out ahead today. Not a terribly productive day for 2 hours fishing, but the company was good. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but I'll probably head back to the Bissell tomorrow unless I get the 411 the Wall is producing. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/27/22 09:23 PM

I went down to the Bissell by 4:15 pm, finding one lone fisherman on the bank who said he had C&R a couple of roes before I arrived. He wanted bucks for the smoker. Another regular showed up as I was rigging up. The river was at about the same level as yesterday, the water was a little clearer, and the current a little more robust, but I still didn't need more than 3/4 oz of weight to hold the bottom. The biggest issue was the wind gusts, it was cold. At least the wind was out of the W to NW, blowing down the ramp from behind us. With a good gust (35-40 mph), we could get almost an extra 10 yds distance on the cast.

About 4:45 pm, the first guy caught a middling buck for his smoker, and a few other regulars showed up shortly after that to make an even half dozen. Not much happened until about 5:30 pm, when one of my compatriots of Shad Nation hooked up, and he C&R a small roe. Within minutes, a young shadaholic hooked up, and another small roe was C&R after a Kodak Moment™. Then a different young shadaholic was hit hard on a long cast, and hooked up for a strong fight in the current. After a few short runs, and almost 3 minutes, he got a middling roe to the net for a release. I hooked up right after the release, and netted a small roe, and after a Kodak Moment™ she was released, too. There was a lull in the action for a while, but by 6:pm another small roe was C&R. By 6:10 I was cold and hungry, and packed it in. Before I left, I noticed everybody else packing up, and heading home, too. Yeah, it was cold.

Today was a good day! Tomorrow I think I'll hit the Wall again. It can get crowded on the ramp, more so than at Bart's. And I lose more tackle at Bissell than anywhere else. Tight lines!

Oh yeah, my winning leaf today was hammered silver, in white with 4 red spots. I also saw shad caught on pink w/black dot, and chartreuse w/red or orange dot. Pretty much anything bright and flashy. YMMV, and invariably will...

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/28/22 06:46 AM

It is starting.
Continue with the reports.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/29/22 08:03 AM

Late report. I got stuck at work yesterday until almost 4:30 pm, so I bailed on going to the Wall, and arrived at the Bissell by 4:45. Four regulars were working the bank, and as I set up, was told "you missed a good run a little while ago." Perfect. Timing is everything, and what I ain't got. At least the water was nice and clear, down less than 1' from Wednesday, and the current was good; 3/4 oz was weight enough. It was breezy, but not as hard or cold as yesterday. And ten minutes after I started my casting practice, one of the regulars got into it for a brief tussle with a small buck, which was promptly released. A little while later, another shadaholic C&R a very small roe. By 5:30, I hooked my first shad a small buck that hit fairly close to the bank. It was a short tussle, and he was released after a Kodak Moment™. I used a hammered silver, in white w/4 red dots to catch him.

It seemed that the shad, while small, were being caught, and mostly released at intervals of 15-20 minutes. At 5 mins to 6:pm. I got hit way out in the river, but with a few rapid headshakes and no real "back" to it, I thought it was an alewife at first. It got a little "heavier", and more "back" as it got closer to shore, perhaps a white perch. It was a small schoolie, maybe 11" or 12", but nice and thick. Its last meal was hanging out of its face with the willow leaf (the same hammered silver, white w/4 red dots). We had a Kodak Moment™, and back it went to grow up. Less than 10 mins later, I had another shad on the hook, buck buck #2. It also hit fairly close to the bank, but it had more fight in it than the first shad. Once we got it in the net, it was obvious it had been spawning or escaped the netters, as its sides were bruised, and some scales were missing. It gave me a Kodak Moment™, and back he went; he fell to a "Ukrainian Leaf" (blue over yellow w/black dot). By this point, the meeting of shadaholics had grown to half a dozen on the bank, and a few more sitting around the picnic table jawing. And the others around me continued to catch shad at intervals. No double hooksets, but often enough to keep us anchored to the bank. At 6:20, I hooked my 3rd shad for the day, Slava Ukraini! She hit hard far from the bank, put her head down, and stripped line right away. She tried 3 or 4 runs down river, but I was able to turn her before I got to my backing. It looked doubtful for a bit, until she turned to run upstream, and I was able to recover a lot of the line she took from the beginning. Eventually, after 3 or 4 minutes that seemed longer, we got her in the net. She looked to be about 3.5#, with good, vibrant color. After our Kodak Moment™, she took right off for deeper water. 20 mins later, one of the younger shadaholics got hit by a freight train, it just stopped him and stripped line on a long run to much complaint from his drag. Eventually he landed what turned out to be the largest roe of the day, 4.02#. He rued that he had caught it today, and not tomorrow morning for the Derby, but ultimately it was released unharmed after a Kodak Moment™. She also fell to the Ukrainian leaf.

By this time it was almost 7:pm, and while the shad were still cooperating, we were tired and hungry. So glad I missed that good run earlier, LOL! And most of the guys, and the one lady, were going out early today for the Shad Derby. Good timing for it this year, the shad are in, and it should be interesting. I am not in the Derby, I'm heading to TN to visit my son and DIL for the weekend. If you are fishing the Derby, good luck and tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/29/22 06:36 PM

Excellent report.
As a former(many, many years ago)shad fisherman of the Enfield Dam area ( which I believe no longer exists), although we also did fish behind Bart's, it brings back many memories.
We used to go there two to three times a week, and when the shad were there, it was unbelievable. They would congregate below the dam, and on a good day, we had a fish on every two to three casts.
At that time we used shad darts. Are they used at all now? Actually I believe that I still have some.
Keep the reports coming after your trip. We always found that around Mothers' Day was peak fishing time for shad.
Posted by: ecurB

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 04/29/22 07:41 PM

Darts for hard bottom , willow leaves for soft .

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/03/22 08:07 PM

3rd.May, 4:30 pm after work, at the Wall. Approx. a 1/2 dozen fishing, about evenly split between chunk dunkers, and shadaholics. The water was down a little from my last outing on Friday, 29th.April, clear, and at about dead high tide, the current was virtually slack. By all reports today was s-l-o-w, but there were a few fresh scales from earlier in the day. On my first cast I picked up a blue back right next to the Wall, by 5:O'Clock I had C&R a second, and Bill C had one himself. By the time I left about 6:20 pm, only 3 shad had been hooked. Two were lost before they came to the Wall and a net, and only one landed in a net.

If it doesn't rain heavy tomorrow afternoon, I will give it another try. Otherwise, I won't be out again until next week. I'm going away for a second weekend, if work doesn't kill me first...

Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/04/22 11:41 AM

Glad to hear you got some fish. I am hoping the shad get going big time next week with the warmer weather. I am starting to think about what to chase this week end. Having gone 0 for 2 the last 2 weekends on the Blackfish/Striper trips. I know it will be fresh water. I just can't decide if I want to do Largemouth in a lake, Smallmouth on the river, or a dedicated Shad trip. Reports like yours and the weather will help me decide. Thanks for your frequent and detailed shad reports. You put in the time and effort. You should be reaping the rewards very soon.

MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/06/22 10:33 AM

Thanks for the reports. As Early Bird said many fond memories of fishing the Enfield Dam with my dad. 100 fish days were not unusual. Dad even won a prize in the derby one year. Seems the shad were bigger back then. Might just be an old man's bad memory. A few years back my bro and I did good trolling the Farmy from Barts to the mouth of the Ct River.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/06/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Don D
Thanks for the reports. As Early Bird said many fond memories of fishing the Enfield Dam with my dad. 100 fish days were not unusual. Dad even won a prize in the derby one year. Seems the shad were bigger back then. Might just be an old man's bad memory. A few years back my bro and I did good trolling the Farmy from Barts to the mouth of the Ct River.

Don, you are correct. I used to fish the Enfield Dam with my father and my brother.
There was a ladder going down to a narrow area (No Trespassing Sign there, which some people ignored) just below the dam where the fishing was great.
Thankfully no one fell in there or it would have been over.
Those were the days!!
Maybe I fished next to you on that narrow ledge??
Remember that we used to have to pay 25 cents at the booth to be able to access the area?

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/08/22 04:29 PM

8th.May, Happy Mother's Day to the Mothers out there.

Arrived at the Wall ~11:20 am, to only 3 people working the bank, 1 was soaking chunks. Bill C had 3 shad in his cooler, and had been there since ~8:am. The wind was whipping down from Hartford, making the water choppy, and a bit turbid. The current was fair, and combined with the stiff breeze, we wanted 1.5 oz weight to reach the bottom. We caught a handful of alewives each, and I managed a fat yellow perch, but the shad were few and far between. We each had a few bumps, and on of the regulars hooked up 3 times but didn't get one to the net. Finally, about 2:30 pm, Bill landed one small roe. The wind seemed to be pitching up a bit, and we all called it a day.

Hopefully the wind abates overnight, and tomorrow is warmer. It was cold in the wind, even with layers. Hopefully, the weather warms up later in the week, as forecast. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/08/22 05:47 PM

ANOTHER GREAT ATTEMPT!…..and pretty soon the run/season will end?……heard like 7-10 more days or so? Seems like a poor season for the run and catching. Is that true?…..just a few days, and poor/off season?

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/09/22 06:02 AM

Hi Don,
Sadly it has been a slow year. The cool, damp weather kept a damper on the run. To be sure, there were some good days, and should be a few more, but we certainly didn't see the numbers of 4-plus# roes we were catching last year. I know for me the season ends when the water is covered with "cotton". It clogs up the line and guides, and is a real mess. The shad run peters-out the first week or so of June, or at least that's what the few folx who can put up with the cotton tell me.

With the forecast still calling for gusty wind today, I should concentrate on more domestic affairs. Still, this afternoon after work I'll probably throw caution to the wind wink and sample the water off the Wall. Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/09/22 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info. Good luck after work today, and the rest of the season.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/09/22 09:10 PM

Arrived at the Wall at 4:30 pm, Bill C and a couple of other regulars were working the whitecaps. Yepper, it was blustery again today (weatherturds be damned, "wind subsiding" my a**), and by all reports the fishing was slow, except for the alewives. About 4:45 Bill C landed a middling roe, 5 mins later, another shadaholic hooked up for another middling roe. As soon as he landed that, I hooked up and landed a small buck. And then it got quiet for an hour or so. At 6:30 I landed a smaller buck, between catching a few alewives during the interim. I also saw 2 other shad landed about the same time.

The wind definitely affects the fishing. If not the bite directly (which I doubt, we catch shad in spite of it), then it affects the ability to feel and hold the bottom to present the terminal tackle to the shad. All in all, today was a good day, and the shad, while scattered, made appearances. Despite the wind, I will sally forth again tomorrow.

Ah, the details, the devil is in the details. Terminal tackle: 1.5 oz drail over 4.5' 10# flouro leader. Leaves that landed shad for me today: hammered silver white & red w/black dot, and hammered silver, orange & green reflective tape w/black dot.

Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/10/22 08:44 PM

At the Wall after work by 4:15 pm, to 5 shadaholics working the brownstone, and a couple or 3 others working meat sticks, soaking chunks or tossing a plug. One regular packed it in as I unpacked. He had been there about 30-40 minutes, but the wind was too much for him. He had landed 2 shad in the short time he was there. While windy, it was not as stiff as yesterday. The water was down another 6"-8", choppy from the wind, but the current was good.

About 4:40 pm I hooked and landed a nice roe. She wasn't very long, maybe 20", but she was fat, and 3#+. After a Kodak Moment™ she went back in the drink. Over the next 45 mins a couple of shad were caught along the Wall. By 5:30 pm I had lost one, and landed another, also released after a Kodak Moment™, along with a couple of handfuls of alewives. By 6:30 pm hunger and Stop & Shop beckoned me to go get my supper. Not a bad 2+ hours, I went 2 for 3, the last one on the U/L. Now, if the d*amned wind would quit, it would be pretty nice. One can hope...

Terminal tackle: med-heavy throwing 1.5 oz drail, 3.5' flouro leader, and hammered silver leaf in orange & green reflective tape w/black dot. U/L throwing 1 oz drail, 4' flouro leader, hammered silver leaf in white w/4 red dots.

Rumor has it the Rocky Hill Fire/Police dock is in. I know there are shad at the Wall, but it's tempting to sample the water at Ferry Park tomorrow. We'll see how "breezy" it is; curse the weather turds.

Until tomorrow, tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/14/22 08:48 PM

Thursday and Friday I went down to the Wall for a couple of hours after work. All I got was casting practice and a few alewives to keep the skunk off. Not one shad. To be sure, a few shad were caught by others, few being the operative word.

Today, not having work dictate my obsession--um, er--shad hobby schedule.. I decided to fish the outgoing tide at the Wall. High tide was forecast for 12:25 pm in Cromwell, so I timed my arrival for a bit past 1:pm. The water was up a good 8"-10" higher than yesterday, but the current was still very slow. Nobody had caught anything for the last few hours, and by all accounts it was a very poor, slow morning. I sat around jawing with the regulars, some of whom had already been there a good 5-6 hours until the current was moving better, and I wet my first line around 2:pm. Finally, a little past 3:pm I was tossing my U/L (3/4 oz drail, hammered silver leaf in pink w/white dots) and got a good, hard hit. She put her head down, and stayed deep. Every time I turned her and got her close to the wall, she flipped around, ran out a bit of line, digging deep trying to head downstream. She made a few runs, but I knew she was done when she turned upstream. She was a middling, spawned out roe, weighing about 3#. She went back into the drink after a Kodak Moment™.

It remained slow for the next hour, a few hits and a miss, here and there, and an alewife or two kept things interesting until about 4:pm. I was throwing my big-boy set up (med-heavy 6' rod, Penn 4300SS, 1.5 oz drail, hammered silver leaf in white w/4 red dots) when the train hit me. Stopped. Me. Dead. She ran deep, and started down for Middletown. I was glad I wasn't using the U/L, because she made a few good, long runs and gave my drag a workout. I don't think I could have stopped her with the U/L in the current. Eventually I got her to the net. She wasn't too long, but she was FAT with roe, and close to 3.5#. I gave her away for a friend who hasn't been able to get out as much as he would like. By this time, a small pod of shad was running through, and 5-6 more were hooked, and played. Most self-released, and only a couple were landed.

All in all, it was a good afternoon. Even with the fishing being slow, the company and cameraderie was very good. Bill C showed up and shared some of the smoked shad he makes. It was de-f'n-licious! There is a sense of community among the shore-bound shadaholics, and these guys and ladies are almost like family. At one point, an older guy's reel failed; a broken bail spring. A young guy offered to let him borrow a spare reel he had in his truck. It's not just about the shad...

Tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/15/22 12:31 PM

Great report, and great to see the sharing for the person with the broken reel.
As you stated, sometimes "It's not just about the shad.."
Posted by: RebeccaD

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/19/22 08:47 AM

Love this report and love the shadaholics! The guy who borrowed the reel has been talking about it ever since - he said he bought it from the other guy. He was so happy smile1 I was down yesterday for a couple hours and he caught a nice shad on that reel!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/19/22 09:40 AM

Trying to go tomorrow morning for the first time, someone give us an update

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/19/22 10:09 AM

Your best shot is The Wall in Cromwell, followed by The Farmington at Barts above the RR bridge. Two things working against you are the fact that the shad run is ending, and today's rain will muddy the CT river making it difficult for shad to see the willow leaves. Cromwell high tide at 530AM means best possible tidal current in the morning 7-10AM, shad move in current and strong current brings them along The Wall. Need 1.5 oz trolling sinkers at The Wall, much less above Barts, then leader to willow leaf. If lucky you can learn and acquire terminal tackle from shad veterans who may show.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/19/22 09:07 PM

Hey Now, O-Bass!
I'm going to disagree with Paul (cat_in_the_hat) on the Wall in Cromwell. I struck out there Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Sure, I saw a few shad caught by others, but it was really slow, few and far between. Wednesday I left after less than an hour to check out Ferry Park in Rocky Hill. FINALLY the docks are all in! I fished for an hour, and got one small, spent roe. The regulars caught at least 5 between them in that hour.

Today I spent 2.5 hours at Rocky Hill, and all I got was skunk. No fish today, for moi. On the other hand, the 5 regulars landed about 8 shad between them on the outgoing tide. I recommend heading down to Ferry Park in Rocky Hill, and talk to the regulars. Bill Chung especially, but also red-shirt guy (see RebeccaD's post, above). Hey RebeccaD! :wavey: I've seen you at the Wall, but didn't know you are a CTF'r, too.

Tomorrow I'm heading down to see my brother and SIL in Christmas-town PA for the weekend. Happy f*n birthday to me, going to chase shad in the Delaware River around the Easton area, and maybe a trip to the Water Gap. Have a great weekend, all! Tight lines, especially you O-Bass!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/25/22 08:33 PM

I spent the weekend with my brother and his family in Christmas-town, PA. Saturday we hit the Delaware River in a couple of spots around Easton. A surprise t-storm Friday afternoon brought the river up a bit, and dropped the temp a few degrees to about 67ºF. Scott Park was the most promising of the spots, but even the boaters we saw didn't seem to get any action. It was hotter than hell but still, it was a good day to be out. C'est la guerre.

Sunday we hit Scott Park again for an hour or so, but the only action was the river still rising from Friday's t-storms. So, we decided to try the Joisey shore. He had scouted a promising spot in Belvedere, NJ at a boat ramp. He lost his shad cherry here the day he scouted it. Just around 11 or 11:30 am he landed a small spent roe, ~20", long and thin; it looked like a buck at first glance. A few minutes later, I hooked up. Unfortunately, it threw the hook right at the net. Still, I got a good look at it, and don't feel too bad about losing it. I was going to release it anyway. Other than the 20" Walleye my brother caught, that was all the action we had for the day. See ya, Joisey!

On Monday, we figured to hit the Delaware Water Gap, as there were some recent, promising posts on the DWRSA Facebook page from the DWG. Since we were short on time, me to get back here, and he to fix his daughter's car (no headlights). We spent about 3 hours fishing Smithfield Beach in E. Stroudsburg, Pennsyltucky. I was waiting to hear banjos... shocked
We both had a couple of hits, but the only one that stuck was a nice little stocker rainbow my brother dragged out of the current. The water temp was up to 69ºF!

It was a nice trip, and fun despite the lack of tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/25/22 08:57 PM

Wednesday, 25 May.

After work I headed down to Rocky Hill, and found 3 regulars working the docks. They had C&R a few before I got there, and fought and lost another as I set up. On my 5th or 6th cast, fish on! And I landed a small buck. After our Kodak Moment™, he went back in the drink. Two more regulars joined us about then, and a couple more shad were C&R. About an hour later, I had another good hookset, and it fought harder than the first. It tried to stay deep, and it ran off a little drag a few times. Roe?! It had hit far out on the cast as the drift in the current was getting started, so it took a few minutes to get it near the dock, and into the net. Lo and behold, it was a Walleye--my PB, at 22", and about 3#! I sent it back into the river amid much keening, wailing, and gnashing of teeth ("that's good eats!"), but I don't feel bad about it. wink About 10-15 minutes later, I had another good hookset, resulting in my 2nd buck for the day. A few more shad were C&R by the shady cast of shadaholics around me. Ah, my tribe, LOL!

Today's winning terminal tackle: 1.5 oz drail over 3'+ flouro 10# leader, and a Jamaican leaf (hammered silver, green and yellow w/black dot).

My son and DIL are currently driving up from TN for a wedding for which he is best man, and we are all attending next weekend. Depending on his time of arrival, I may or may not be hitting Ferry Park after work tomorrow. I love my son and DIL, but I hope they're tired, and want to get settled and get some rest. I want to catch more shad... wink

The run is still on, even if it is near the end of the season. The cotton is blowing down into the river, and starting to mat and clump. It wasn't too bad today, the line picked up some, but it didn't foul the guides, and was easily plucked off the line while retrieving slowly. In a few more days it will become (to me) intolerable. Until then, tight lines!

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/25/22 10:47 PM

Slow, but some action. Congrats on the PB Walleye!….nice surprise

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/26/22 09:09 AM

The river from Trenton up to Hancock is a really good walleye river especially in the Fall when they move into the deeper pools and congregate in schools. Congratulations on the PB.
Seems to me the shad run in the Delaware River is late. Mothers Day was always the peak of the run up by the Lackawaxen River confluence and the main body was well above the Water Gap area.
Nice report, thanks.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/26/22 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reports. I really enjoy reading them.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 05/26/22 09:30 PM

Buck, you are correct that the Delaware R. shad run was late this year. My brother and a couple of locals confirmed what I had been seeing on the Delaware River Shad Fishing Reports FB, and Delaware River Shad Fisherman's Associations pages. It roughly mirrored our shad run, which BTW is not yet over.

After work, as is my wont of late, I ran down to Rocky Hill for my fix. I found 4 shadaholics with their arms in a cast, who reported scattered action. They in fact caught a couple after I started casting practice with them. A couple more reprobates soon showed up, and a half hour later I got tap-tapped and set the hook with a flick of the wrist. I was thinking it's an alewife, or white perch. Once the water started getting skinny, it put its head down, and tugged harder--SHAD! A little buck came to the net for a quick pic, and was released to grow some. I may have had a couple of other hits, or maybe just bumped the bottom, it was hard to tell with the wind gusting up from Cromwell/Middletown, but at least I got my vitamin shad. laugh

Tight lines!
Posted by: Jim Curto

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 02/20/23 05:54 PM

Howdy. Here's hoping you keep this thread going in 2023. I would like to learn & fish for Shad this spring, never really tried it much over the years. Caught plenty of Alewives and Hickories but the Shad fillets someone gave me last year were pretty damn good. Plus, it's a classic fish run I'd like to experience. Hope you all have a great spring. Thanks.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 02/21/23 12:24 PM

Jim,

There are several guys who regularly fish for shad on this site. I make a few trips each year on the CT River North of Hartford. Some of the others, like Paulie Wallnuts AKA Cat in the hat, have made shad fishing a science and do a tremendous job at it. Watch the tread as these guys are very generous sharing their spots and techniques. You can meet a few of them and likely pick up some Shad rigs (Pink Panthers) at the Tackle Swap coming up in March.

As far as enjoying Shad fillets, Captain Vincent offers two detailed videos which can be found at: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+f...me&ie=UTF-8

I have watched the video several times. I am not too bad with a knife. I have tried to filet a shad on multiple occasions. The chances of me enjoying a well fileted shad are about as good as me enjoying a brisket of Unicorn. Catching the shad is not easy but is nothing compared to the filleting process. I hope you get some shad and master the art of filleting them.

Tight lines,

MikeV

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 02/24/23 02:23 PM

Years ago, if I wanted to eat a shad I took it down to Essex. There were two women who filleted them regularly. And were great at it.
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 02/24/23 02:30 PM

Two women? Great at it? Single Don P. needs their GPS coordinates. biggrin

Re: SHAD! 2022 - 02/25/23 12:26 AM

I’m All Set

Thanks