Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Right now we give some leeway with people who stop hunting at sunset and are walking out of the woods after that. Laser sights were not invented when the laws were enacted so nobody considered them.

Thanks for the explanation Encon.

Sounds like some leeway is needed.

If I carry a flashlight into and out of the woods couldn't that too be considered an artificial light? I don't think people who jack deer actually bolt the light to their gun. So anyone with a flashlight in deer woods could be considered in possession of jacklighting equipment???

Getting out of the woods within the half hour is some what reasonable, but heading in is a different story in the morning, when it is very common for hunters to be going in much earlier than they are coming out. Plus you can legally shoot a 1/2 hour before sunrise.

I know you don't make the rules. And I know there are plenty of old ones that need updating. I'm all for enforcement when the spirit of the law is violated, but if I'm walking in, or walking out, without an arrow knocked, or without my laser light turned on, someone would be hard pressed to say I'm jacking.

People might be wondering why someone would need a laser sight....so I'll explain. Two reasons actually. The first being improving accuracy, which I think most people would agree, is the first responsibility of any shooter with any type of weapon when attempting to ethically harvest a game animal. If laser sites can help improve accuracy, than it could reduce the number of poorly hit deer. When I started bowhunting (age 14 in 1978 rolleyes) we shot instinctive shooting with no sites. Compound bows, site pins and even mechanical releases are all common now, but back then they were controversial and viewed by some as an unfair advantage. Eventually they were all legalized based primarily on the fact that they would improve accuracy. Laser sights might be new, but that argument of improving shooter effectiveness is not.

Secondly (and maybe just for me) but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. If I thought I could pull off using one without the deer seeing it and spooking, I'd love to see if it makes me a better shooter in the first and last legal shooting hour.

Edited by Jighead (10/19/10 11:12 PM)

....If we have any say... Vote for May