With Covid 19 restrictions in place I was unable to hit the water as early as I had hoped to. I was about 2 weeks behind my original plan, but I saw an opportunity to make the run and went for it. Unfortunately, Eric and Peter could not go so I did a solo mission.
The weather was expected to be cloudy, windy and cool on Friday and Saturday and clearing on my last morning, Sunday.
I arrived to the water around 11 on Friday and the lake was white capped and the wind was 15-20 sustained. Less than ideal conditions, but off I went.
The first smallie of the trip was a beauty at 4.26 and was caught on a drop shot rig.
The drop shot would prove to be my go to over the next few days, although a small tungsten jig and paca craw trailer, a Ned rig, a spinnerbait and a fluke also produced.
The conditions were terrible and it made boat control very challenging, even trying to stay upright was a task.
The fish cooperated however, and I managed 5 fish, all over 4 lbs this first day.
Overnight the temps dropped into the high 30s and again, the trees were swaying when I woke up.
The sky was dark and ominous as I launched on Saturday morning, and soon the rain started. I put my head down and grinded it out for the next 7 hours.
I was rewarded with some great fish, including 3 over 5 lbs,with the best going 5.87 lbs, as well as several heavy 4s. What a great day!

Sunday dawned clear and sunny and I thought I could hammer em. Unfortunately, that was the exact opposite of what happened. I caught exactly 1 2lber on a fluke and that was it before I had to head for home.

It was a fun adventure and one I wouldn't miss for anything, including Covid. I kept to myself and social distanced and wore my Buff anywhere I went. It was a great trip.
Here's a sampling of some quality smallmouth that call Jurassic Park their home.

Edited by Tall 1 (07/11/20 01:59 PM)