ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1205528 - 04/25/10 03:28 PM It's ON!
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I've been fishing hard almost every day for well over a week now waiting for some bigger bass to show. Guys have been catching on the northern end but we have been patiently waiting for our turn... We finally got into a few fish yesterday... I couldn't get out till 4, the boat traffic and bright sun made it tough but we found a few down deep on Bass Harassers

With the rain today, we had the river to ourselves. Mike, Justin and I left the ramp at 5:15 in a light rain. The water had warmed to 54 and with the cloud cover overnight had stayed that warm. We made the run to the first spot, dodging a couple of logs along the way. Justing hooked up first on a Houdini Shad. It's always nice to get the skunk out of the boat right off the bat...

As it got light out, we could see herring dimpling the surface all around us and following our lures back to the boat. I hooked up a couple of times with small fish, we never bothered to take the camera out. On the second drift, Mike hooked a decent fish on a Revolution Shad. This one was a better fish. I forgot how good a screaming drag could sound...

It may have been the next cast that he hooked up again, I can't remember...

On the 3rd drift, all hell broke lose. There were fish all over the place at one point, we had a triple header going. I got mine to the boat first, another keeper and quickly released it so I could grab the camera for the other two fish.

On almost every cast, we had herring following our lures and trying to mate with them. On more than one occassion, my lure came back with herring scales on the hooks. I finally ended up snagging one on a Revolution Shad.

That spot seemed to die off after 7:30 so we started heading south checking other spots as we went. Justin hooked up with another nice fish on the Bass Harasser...

The rain got heavier and more steady. It kept the water nice and flat, so it was easy to spot surface activity from a distance. As we fished along another stretch of bank, we saw herring getting knocked into the air by stripers about 1/4 mile away. We made our way in that direction with the trolling motor on high and got within range. We all had fish on in no time. It was raining too hard to take the camera out. They were all about the same size as the fish before. Healthy and real fat! We fished for less than 5 hours and boated 15 fish. There were only 2 or 3 stripers that were not keepers. It seemed to take forever, but they are finally here. headbanger1
Fishing Info
#1205529 - 04/25/10 03:32 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: Blaine]
Mitch P. Offline

Been waiting for the new homepage pic. biggrin
#1205530 - 04/25/10 03:35 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: Blaine]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
Nice! Time to put the trout pole away. Thanks for sharing Blaine.
#1205537 - 04/25/10 03:59 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: trout tracker]
tracker980 Offline

Loc: Andover, CT
Nice Job as usual. I think we saw you yesterday just north of Rocky Hill. I had a real good one come unbuttoned at the boat.. looked to be all of 20lbs. Its definitly game on!

~Scott~
#1205542 - 04/25/10 04:20 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: trout tracker]
dsully Offline

Loc: Berlin
Great report and Pics as usual Blaine, Its good to see some nice size fish! The mouth is loaded with fish, but their mostly small, cant wait to get tight on those quality fish!

1986 SeaCraft 23 Bracketed Merc 250hp
1992 Wahoo 18 Merc 150
#1205554 - 04/25/10 04:43 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: Blaine]
OHMYGOD Offline

Loc: Suffield Ct
SWEET!! cha

WAVEWALK DEMO AGENT:
Send me a message if you want to try the W500,W700 and soon the S4.

You can take what you want from life......As long as you give a little Back.
"We never get over the fishing fever, it's a delightful disease and thank the lord there is no cure".
"CTF, is a lure I can not afford to NOT have in my pocket"

Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Our freedoms are being choked, big brother's grip is getting tighter.

http://wavewalk.com/Connecticut_Fishing_Kayak_Review_22.html

#1205555 - 04/25/10 04:47 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: dsully]
Avid Offline

Loc: Niantic, CT
Awesome!
#1205563 - 04/25/10 05:10 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: Avid]
StarkC69 Offline

SABOD

Loc: Hampden, MA
Great Report...thanks for sharing Blaine!!

Team Stark Stronger
Team Three Belles
Team Masshole
FUKINNAUTICALSICKCRAZYMOTHERBADASS

#1205564 - 04/25/10 05:15 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: Avid]
rjgolden Offline
sleeps over rated grab a fishing rod

Loc: Enfield CT
Nice job Blaine. Love your reports. Those are some nice fish. Were u north or south of Hartford. It's time I have been waiting for this. Like trout tracker said it's time to put the trout rods away. Does it look like there are more herring than ussual this year Blaine.

Edited by rjgolden (04/25/10 05:17 PM)

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.
#1205567 - 04/25/10 05:29 PM Re: It's ON! [Re: rjgolden]
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Not far south of Hartford... There is a ton of bait around but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the herring AND alewife are here at the same time. The runs don't usually coincide, but the warmer than usual water temps have brought the bait in sooner than usual.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Active Topics