It's ON!

Posted by: Blaine

It's ON! - 04/25/10 03:28 PM

I've been fishing hard almost every day for well over a week now waiting for some bigger bass to show. Guys have been catching on the northern end but we have been patiently waiting for our turn... We finally got into a few fish yesterday... I couldn't get out till 4, the boat traffic and bright sun made it tough but we found a few down deep on Bass Harassers

With the rain today, we had the river to ourselves. Mike, Justin and I left the ramp at 5:15 in a light rain. The water had warmed to 54 and with the cloud cover overnight had stayed that warm. We made the run to the first spot, dodging a couple of logs along the way. Justing hooked up first on a Houdini Shad. It's always nice to get the skunk out of the boat right off the bat...

As it got light out, we could see herring dimpling the surface all around us and following our lures back to the boat. I hooked up a couple of times with small fish, we never bothered to take the camera out. On the second drift, Mike hooked a decent fish on a Revolution Shad. This one was a better fish. I forgot how good a screaming drag could sound...

It may have been the next cast that he hooked up again, I can't remember...

On the 3rd drift, all hell broke lose. There were fish all over the place at one point, we had a triple header going. I got mine to the boat first, another keeper and quickly released it so I could grab the camera for the other two fish.

On almost every cast, we had herring following our lures and trying to mate with them. On more than one occassion, my lure came back with herring scales on the hooks. I finally ended up snagging one on a Revolution Shad.

That spot seemed to die off after 7:30 so we started heading south checking other spots as we went. Justin hooked up with another nice fish on the Bass Harasser...

The rain got heavier and more steady. It kept the water nice and flat, so it was easy to spot surface activity from a distance. As we fished along another stretch of bank, we saw herring getting knocked into the air by stripers about 1/4 mile away. We made our way in that direction with the trolling motor on high and got within range. We all had fish on in no time. It was raining too hard to take the camera out. They were all about the same size as the fish before. Healthy and real fat! We fished for less than 5 hours and boated 15 fish. There were only 2 or 3 stripers that were not keepers. It seemed to take forever, but they are finally here. headbanger1
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 03:32 PM

Been waiting for the new homepage pic. biggrin
Posted by: trout tracker

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 03:35 PM

Nice! Time to put the trout pole away. Thanks for sharing Blaine.
Posted by: tracker980

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 03:59 PM

Nice Job as usual. I think we saw you yesterday just north of Rocky Hill. I had a real good one come unbuttoned at the boat.. looked to be all of 20lbs. Its definitly game on!
Posted by: dsully

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 04:20 PM

Great report and Pics as usual Blaine, Its good to see some nice size fish! The mouth is loaded with fish, but their mostly small, cant wait to get tight on those quality fish!
Posted by: OHMYGOD

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 04:43 PM

SWEET!! cha
Posted by: Avid

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 04:47 PM

Awesome!
Posted by: StarkC69

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 05:10 PM

Great Report...thanks for sharing Blaine!!
Posted by: rjgolden

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 05:15 PM

Nice job Blaine. Love your reports. Those are some nice fish. Were u north or south of Hartford. It's time I have been waiting for this. Like trout tracker said it's time to put the trout rods away. Does it look like there are more herring than ussual this year Blaine.

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 05:29 PM

Not far south of Hartford... There is a ton of bait around but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the herring AND alewife are here at the same time. The runs don't usually coincide, but the warmer than usual water temps have brought the bait in sooner than usual.

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 05:35 PM

I'm hoping the herring population coming back. I wish I could of made it to your seminar yesterday. U have the bass harassers at the shop and how much.
Posted by: Bill S

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 05:35 PM

Nice fish Blaine and crew.
Posted by: goingfishing18

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 06:01 PM

NICE CATCHES !
Posted by: Romey

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 06:38 PM

great news! nice to finally see some quality fish in the river!
Posted by: mike perch

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 06:45 PM

bass harassers are 4.49 we have some left but they are going fast.
we will be getting more as son as possible. we had fish on the bigger revo shads as well watching them come up and stalk and crush those baits is awesome

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 07:14 PM

Thanks mike. So was that 5 bucks or dis u for get to put a 1 in front of it. How much for the revo Shad.
Posted by: Jeremiah G

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 07:41 PM

Nice report. I think it is time to head west in about a week...
Posted by: KeyWest Glenn

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 07:45 PM

Looks like I was after the wrong species. Great post Blaine!
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 08:09 PM

The bait and higher temps. will be a double edged sword. It may very well end up a short , but intense river striper run. Nice to hear there are some decent ones turning on.

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 08:17 PM

Yep... Pray for more rain... SOON!
Posted by: Jeremiah G

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul D.
The bait and higher temps. will be a double edged sword. It may very well end up a short , but intense river striper run. Nice to hear there are some decent ones turning on.

The Pawcatuck River (RI) was EMPTY today. No bass, no herring/alewife. The DEM was checking the fish ladder..nothing. He said nothing has passed except a few trout in the past three days. It looks like it was a quickie out east so far..
Posted by: JohnS

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 08:55 PM

Good report, I am dusting off my plugs ready to mix it up and start chasing something BIGGER then a lil ole green bass. Now if I can get out on the water by 5:00am M-F I'll be all set.
Posted by: fishingbum

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 09:22 PM

Thanks for putting the word out Blaine! I know where I'll be tomorrow!
Posted by: StriperMAGNET88

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 09:29 PM

awesome looking lure in the first pic..bass harasser?

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: StriperMAGNET88
awesome looking lure in the first pic..bass harasser?

You betcha!
Posted by: Don D

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 10:00 PM

Great report Blaine. I gots to get out there.
Posted by: PDona

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 10:41 PM

Awesome report, guys ! ! ! You put your time in, Blaine ! GREAT reward!
Posted by: jaybirdfishing

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 11:06 PM

great news Blaine.
Posted by: Tall 1

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 11:29 PM

Good stuff guys!
Posted by: Climber

Re: It's ON! - 04/25/10 11:59 PM

Blaine--I assume you are selling those baits at the shop? If so how much do they cost?
Posted by: deefish45

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 12:01 AM

Yeah, def time to put the trout pole away!!
Posted by: Tackleman

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 12:28 AM

Nice to see you into them. Your always on'em early each year, good job capt.
Posted by: John R.

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 12:44 AM

Great report, and great pics
Posted by: tracker980

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 02:20 AM

Man that Revo shad is one sweet bait. I banged 2 keepers on it this afternoon and needless to say.. found a pretty good replacement for the Houdini shads (once I'm out wink2 ). The fish are here in some good numbers right now. Seem's like the early morning is the ticket. It was pretty slow this afternoon til dusk but still a few nice fish were put in the boat. Plenty of bait around as Blaine said.
Posted by: BassnBear

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 02:36 AM

Awesome guys...Bravo!!!
Posted by: Fisher16

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 04:07 AM

Bring them on, can't wait till tomorrow afternoon. Just got my boat back from its spring tune up ect. Its ready and so am I. Thanks for the report, great fish.
Posted by: chester

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 10:33 AM

Nice report guys. WTG.
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 11:32 AM

Homepage:

http://www.ctfisherman.com/
Posted by: Murph

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 11:53 AM

wow! good stuff!
Posted by: Pistol

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 12:22 PM

Nice report Blaine ~ Good to see the Bass hittin wink2
Posted by: Buck

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 01:18 PM

What a great report, Blaine certainly can fish those big baits. Great home page.
Posted by: Jayhova

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 01:51 PM

I saw the thread titled "It's ON" and immediately said to myself "I bet Blaine hammered them." Lol, Ssre enough I enter the river reports and there he is.

Such a familiar site Blaine, you holding a big bass wearing your Daiwa hat. I'm sure it's the frist of many big guy. Best of luck this season Cap!!!
Posted by: Mark S.

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 02:44 PM

That's a good report. I notice you tie to a split ring on the Rev Shad but not the Bass Harasser. Any reason ?
Posted by: yellowfin31

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 02:47 PM

Blaine,

Sweet Bass...Good times....Thanks for getting the line and reel ready for me so fast.
Lee
Posted by: Jettyjunky

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 03:12 PM

Great report Blaine!

Any idea on what the weight is on those Bass Harassers? Looks like they could be great from the river bank if they can cast ok.
Posted by: big mike 38

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 03:28 PM

blaine how much are those lures? they look awesome
Posted by: RayP

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 04:21 PM

Blaine,

Awesome! Way to find those big fish
I haven't connected with any big ones yet this year.
Posted by: Fish Scorpio

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 04:35 PM

Ill pray for more rain.Nice report.
Posted by: W.G.

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 04:36 PM

Nice Blaine. Let the good times roll.

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark S.
That's a good report. I notice you tie to a split ring on the Rev Shad but not the Bass Harasser. Any reason ?

Nope... One comes with one and one doesn't. biggrin

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Jettyjunky

Any idea on what the weight is on those Bass Harassers? Looks like they could be great from the river bank if they can cast ok.

Not sure... Their web site doesn't even list a weight wtf The 8" are pretty hefty. I am able to chuck them OK with a 7'6" XH rod, a lighter rod than that may be an issue.
Posted by: Joe Grenus

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 06:58 PM

Nice job on the fish Blaine. Great Pics too. Hope you guys bought stock in Bass Harassers and Houdni Shad.
Posted by: Bass addict

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 07:18 PM

well done.
Posted by: steved

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 08:00 PM

nice fishes very nice post thanks
Posted by: jimfish

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 08:07 PM

Fantastic applause
Posted by: RICKSTER

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 10:00 PM

Nice Report Congrats to you Gentelman.I got to hurry up and get the painting done on my boat cant wait to get out.Way to go Blaine...
Posted by: Bart O

Re: It's ON! - 04/26/10 11:07 PM

That's the best news I had all day.Thanks for the report Blaine
Posted by: DEN

Re: It's ON! - 04/27/10 12:39 AM

Those Harassers are only $4.49 confused2 Good Deal if so!!

I picked a bunch of these 8" Nibbler Bass Swimbaits for more than twice the price~

Re: It's ON! - 04/27/10 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: DEN
Those Harassers are only $4.49 confused2 Good Deal if so!!

I picked a bunch of these 8" Nibbler Bass Swimbaits for more than twice the price~

Yep... headbanger1 Got any cameras you want to trade????? biggrin
Posted by: TommyTrebble

Re: It's ON! - 04/27/10 09:56 AM

NICE ! beerchug
Posted by: DebnMandy

Re: It's ON! - 05/01/10 12:23 AM

Nice bass Blaine! Way to go!!