ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1317846 - 05/19/11 11:22 AM Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun
thevinman Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I heard a story at work regarding a 17 year old shooting nuisance squirrels in their yard (on their property) with a pellet gun. Apparently a neighbor called the police and they came down and told them they cannot do so without their neighbors "permission", and were instructed by the officer to stop.

This sounds a little fishy. Is there any validity to this? Are there laws applicable to this type of thing?

-Vinny
My Profile

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

Fishing Info
#1317874 - 05/19/11 12:19 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
Vin

I don't when the incident happened, but here are the season dates:

Species
Gray Squirrel

Season Dates
Jan 1 - Feb 28
Sep 1 - Sep 30
Oct 15 - Dec 31 1/2

You can't shoot squirrels this time of year..

As far as I know there is not a regulation about the distance you must be from a neighboring building to use an air rifle, but if this was local police, they will use thier discretion to put out the "fire".
#1317903 - 05/19/11 01:39 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
Reelin Offline

500 foot rule?
#1317910 - 05/19/11 01:52 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
OHMYGOD Offline

Loc: Suffield Ct
Originally Posted By: thevinman
I heard a story at work regarding a 17 year old shooting nuisance squirrels in their yard (on their property) with a pellet gun. Apparently a neighbor called the police and they came down and told them they cannot do so without their neighbors "permission", and were instructed by the officer to stop.

This sounds a little fishy. Is there any validity to this? Are there laws applicable to this type of thing?

Thats correct, the neighbors have to be on board, or you can't do it.

WAVEWALK DEMO AGENT:
Send me a message if you want to try the W500,W700 and soon the S4.

You can take what you want from life......As long as you give a little Back.
"We never get over the fishing fever, it's a delightful disease and thank the lord there is no cure".
"CTF, is a lure I can not afford to NOT have in my pocket"

Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Our freedoms are being choked, big brother's grip is getting tighter.

http://wavewalk.com/Connecticut_Fishing_Kayak_Review_22.html

#1317919 - 05/19/11 02:21 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
EnCon Police Offline

As posted above there is a season for grey squirrels. That's #1, #2 is the 500 ft rule, if he was closer than 500 ft (and in season) he can't do it. #3 - he needs a hunting license. A pellet gun falls under

Sec. 26-1. Definitions. (12) "Hunting" means pursuing, shooting, killing and capturing any bird, quadruped or reptile and attempting to pursue, shoot, kill and capture any bird, quadruped or reptile, whether such act results in taking or not, including any act of assistance to any other person in taking or attempting to take any such animal.

Sec. 26-27. Licenses required for hunting, trapping and fishing. Exceptions. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), (c), (e), (f), (g) or (h) of this section and other provisions of this chapter providing specific license exemption, no person shall take, hunt or trap, or shall attempt to take, hunt or trap, or assist in taking, hunting or trapping, any wild bird or mammal and no person more than sixteen years of age shall take, attempt to take, or assist in taking any fish or bait species in the inland waters or marine district by any method or land marine fish and bait species in the state, regardless of where such marine fish or bait species are taken, without first having obtained a license as provided in this chapter. No person under sixteen years of age shall hunt or trap, except as provided in section 26-38.

26-66-1. Behavior and actions of hunters
(a) The method of taking wild birds and wild quadrupeds by hunting shall be restricted to firearms, high velocity air guns using a single ball or pellet type projectile, and compound, long, or recurved bow. In designated areas, by special permit, the commissioner may allow the use of modified versions of air guns or archery implements to achieve wildlife management objectives. No arrow or projectile which is coated with or contains any drugs, poison or known tranquilizing substance may be used or possessed while engaged in archery hunting.
#1317958 - 05/19/11 05:15 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
Wilderness_dave Offline

Thanks encon...

Quote:

Thats correct, the neighbors have to be on board, or you can't do it.

A person has a hunting license, is in the season dates and is 500 feet from homes...He has to have permission from neighbor to shoot squirrels? Is this correct? a town ordinance?

I can bow hunt deer on my property and don't have to tell the neighbors a thing.
#1317972 - 05/19/11 05:58 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
KillTaker Offline

Skip

Please no that I'm trying to argue this in any way, I just want to see if/where an air rifle is defined as a "firearm" and how that pertain to the 500 ft. rule. Here is the 500 ft rule regulation I found, and it only mentions firearms:

500 Foot Zone - It is prohibited to hunt with, shoot, or carry a loaded firearm within 500 feet of any building occupied by people or domestic animals, or used for storage of flammable material, or within 250 feet of such buildings when waterfowl hunting in tidal areas from land shooting positions or from floating blinds anchored adjacent to land or from rock positions, unless written permission for lesser distances is obtained from the owner and carried. Landowners, their spouse, and lineal descendants are exempt from this restriction, providing any building involved is their own. The 500 foot zone does not apply to bowhunting.

Thanks,

As always I appreciate your insight
#1317984 - 05/19/11 06:41 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
DaveyDave Offline

Loc: Bristol
wow this is too funny..not even worth getting started on this one first pidgeons now squirrels whats a man suppose to eat?

" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER "
" PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY "
#1317995 - 05/19/11 07:59 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: thevinman]
Scott Farris Offline

Loc: East Granby
Page 12 of this year's Hunting & Trapping guide:

High-Velocity Air Guns - Restricted to those that use a single ball or pellet-like projectile. Additional restrictions on the use of air guns are the same as those for rifles and handguns.

The additional restrictions include the 500 ft requirement.

Scott
#1318019 - 05/19/11 10:39 PM Re: Laws on shooting squirrels with a pellet gun [Re: Scott Farris]
KillTaker Offline

Originally Posted By: Scott Farris
Page 12 of this year's Hunting & Trapping guide:

High-Velocity Air Guns - Restricted to those that use a single ball or pellet-like projectile. Additional restrictions on the use of air guns are the same as those for rifles and handguns.

The additional restrictions include the 500 ft requirement.

Scott

Scott, I saw that, but thought it was so ambiguously vague, that I was looking for clarification from the law book, not just the hunting guide. To that end, if we interpret it literally, we have to then say that since air guns carry all the restrictions of a rifle, that you must have 10 acres to hunt with one. And, since air guns carry all the restrictions of a pistol, that you would need a carry permit for one as well.

I'm just curious about the whole thing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics