ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1334948 - 07/15/11 08:47 PM Fishing in buoyed swim areas
EnCon Police Offline

Just a reminder as we are getting a number of complaints.

You cannot fish in a swim area that has obtained a permit from DEEP.

Sec. 15-121-B12. Vessel, vessel speeds and fishing restrictions regarding swim areas and boating access areas
(a) No person shall operate or allow the operation of a vessel inside markers demarcating a restricted swim area which has been authorized in writing by the commissioner. (b) No person shall operate or allow the operation of a vessel at a speed in excess of Slow-No-Wakewhen within one hundred feet of markers placed to designate a restricted swim area or boating access area which has been authorized in writing by the commissioner. (c) This section shall not apply to vessels used exclusively as lifeguard rescue boats. (d) No person shall fish inside the markers demarcating a restricted swim area that has been authorized in writing by the commissioner.

If you think someone has established their own swim area, or significantly expanded a swim area you can call the Boating Division in Old Lyme. They issue all the permits and can tell you if it's a permitted swim area. If it's not, they notify the homeowner that it must be removed (or reduced in size to the permitted size if they have a permit). You can reach them at 860-434-8638.

There is a requirement that swim area buoys have the permit number on them however, as with boat numbers, if they are stickers they may fall off with time. If the permit number is put on with a marker or paint, that wears off too. Do not make the assumption that a swim area that does not have a permit number on the buoys is there illegally.

If we receive a complaint of someone fishing in a permitted swim area enforcement action will be taken. The numbers may have worn or fallen off and if you fish there you will be in violation and subject to getting a ticket. The Boating Division can followup with permitted swim areas that fail to put their permit number on the buoys, but you have to let them (or us) know about it.

We had issues in the past on Candlewood Lake (for example) where a homeowner had put motion-detector controlled sprinklers on their docks to keep fishermen away from the dock. I personally met with the homeowner and the sprinklers were removed. But - all the homeowners that have permitted swim areas know the regulations and they will file complaints against anyone who fishes in them. It goes both ways - you all have the privilege of fishing in the various waterbodies with the expectation that people will not interfere with your fishing. Homeowners who obtain a swim area permit have the privilege and expectation that the designated area will not be used for boating or fishing. I'm sure if you had waterfront property with a swim area where someone illegally fishing lost a lure in the area and you, your child or another family member or friend got a hook impaled in their foot, leg, hand or arm that you would be upset too.
Fishing Info
#1351679 - 09/18/11 02:08 AM Re: Fishing in buoyed swim areas [Re: EnCon Police]
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
My lake, Highland, has a Town beach with a marked swim area. (Adjacent to the State Launch)Outside the perimeter of the beach, apx. 100' - 150' out from the marked swim area is white orange striped buoys designating it a swim area.

Can I fish within the white/orange buoys as long as I dont cast into the actual swim area, AND, can my boat be inside that white/orange buoy area while fishing on the T motor?

Always been curious as to this one. Thank you.
#1351807 - 09/18/11 03:37 PM Re: Fishing in buoyed swim areas [Re: EnCon Police]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
Another question.... What about a beach where the bouys are taken in for the winter? Would that area be fishable as the area would not be marked then?
#1352284 - 09/20/11 01:11 AM Re: Fishing in buoyed swim areas [Re: EnCon Police]
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
Terrible pictures from the cell phone but perhaps it will better explain my question.

The way I read the regs, I would be allowed to fish and or have my boat between the warning buoys and the swim area as long as I'm just on my electric motor and dont cast into the beach area.
#1352460 - 09/20/11 05:34 PM Re: Fishing in buoyed swim areas [Re: EnCon Police]
EnCon Police Offline

What do the warning buoys say? If they say swim area you can not go inside of them. If they are navigational you can. My bet is that they are the outside limit of the swim area as one requirement is that the areas be marked with the orange/white buoys.

If the buoys are taken in then it's no longer designated as a permitted swim area as a permit requires that the buoys be present to be considered a swim area.
#1477303 - 02/08/13 07:22 PM Re: Fishing in buoyed swim areas [Re: EnCon Police]
Gary P Offline

Loc: Western Mass
ok. I know I'm a little late since this post was put up a couple of years ago, but hey, there's a blizzard outside and I am bored so here goes....

When an association or individual land owner applies for this permit for a swim area, how does the office in Lyme, determine how BIG the area is and who checks and enforces that the home owner correctly put up boueys?

The home owner is basically given the right to call a part of the water "their own" and I think that's b.s as I can't claim a mid lake hump as my own and out up markers.

now lets look at the regulation: you say the paint and taped numbers on the boueys can wear off so even if I don't see numbers, I can still get a ticket? how BS is that? if my registration numbers wore off on my boat, EP would give me a ticket but why not the home owners for NOT properly displaying permit numbers.

if we question the legality of the boueys and a home owner comes out and confronts us, do we have the right to ask to see "the written permit signed by the commissioner".

Does the EP ever patrol the shores and check for compliance when they see the swim boueys up. I am sure more than one home owner has placed there own boueys without permits and who checks on that. You say that we have the right to call up and ask DEP if there is truly a permit, but shouldn't the offices on the water be looking for this just like looking at my wore off registration number on my boat?

This is truly just an informational asking on my part and I appreciate EVERY thing the DEP does, it just seems a little one sided to me in favor of the home owner

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way!!!!!!
#1478202 - 02/13/13 09:02 AM Re: Fishing in buoyed swim areas [Re: EnCon Police]
EnCon Police Offline

Due to the number of swim areas we don't have time to check them all. If we get a complaint about one then we'll check into it. Our Boating Division usually gets calls regarding illegal swim areas and passes them on to us. They are responsible for the permits so they have a handle on who should have one and who doesn't.

If we're lucky we've got one and if we're really lucky, we've got two boats on patrol on Candlewood. They spend the entire day just dealing with boating issues so honestly checking swim areas against a list in Old Lyme is not a priority. If we get a complaint we'll act on it. We did deal with one last year that we received complaints from fishermen on the lake about and the person responsible was ordered to remove the buoys.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics