ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1737495 - 03/04/18 10:11 AM Venice offshore
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
After my very eventful few days with my brother I was paranoid to say the least. I have no idea when this year will start showing some good results but as I look at it "Just another bump in the road". I keep going forward in life and keep going up the hill.

I had a call to deckhand for Mike Jeffcoat of RJ Hunting and Fishing, We headed out to the tuna grounds and when we got to the place there were over 50 boats drifting over a 2 mile square salt dome. I instantly got a very good feeling seeing many boats with at least 1 and up to 3 bent rods at once. The fish were chewing. We set up and started drifting. We struck out on our first drift loosing a few hooks to sharks and kink mackerel. Our second drift was the same. On the third drift we got a bonito. This was getting frustrating to see all the yellowfin and blackfin coming over the side on all the other boats. Mike asked "Ok who brought the bananas?" one of the guys said he had 2 in his bag. We pulled them out and threw them overboard. BANANAS ARE BAD LUCK!!!

After the yellow bad demons drifted out of sight we had our first fish in the box. It was a nice 25 pound class blackfin tuna. Call it a unfounded superstition but I have seen this same situation repeated time and time again. We were now putting a few blackfin in the boat at a pace there was no time for pictures. In between we were still loosing hooks to sharks and kings. Everything was falling in to place. Our first yellowfin was lost after a 8 to 10 minute fight. It is very easy to distinguish between the yellowfin and blackfin run and fight. Our second yellowfin was boated after a good fight that took a rod pass one time. A quick picture and back to the action.

We kept resetting our drift and letting all the action happen. Eventually we had more than enough bonito for bait so all of them were spared the fate of dying on deck or in the ice. All the bonito were given a chance to fight another day. The blackfin were still going on the ice. On one of these drifts we hook another yellowfin. This one is giving us a run for our money. It decided to get up high as many big guys do and gets tangled with the fish another boat is fighting a few hundred yards away. We attempted to get this situation under control but our fish was lost in the mess. Our quest for the desired yellowfin is not going as desired but the box is getting full.

Once again we hook into a very good yellowfin The battle got to the point we had to pull in all our other lines and concentrate on our targeted species. This battle went on for about a half hour when suddenly the all familiar tug and run of a shark hitting an injured tuna happens and the line breaks. That was our third yellowfin of the day and the last one to find our baits. We still ended our day with a respectable box of meat. 1 good yellowfin and over a dozen good size blackfin averaging around 25 pounds with a few close to 30 pounds and 1 king mackrel. Overall a good offshore trip.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1737502 - 03/04/18 11:04 AM Re: Venice offshore [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
Great report.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
#1737677 - 03/06/18 06:46 PM Re: Venice offshore [Re: earl bird]
Bart O Offline

Loc: Danbury
You need to check the coolers when they board laugh Still a good day of fishing

www.ogdenelectric.com Ogden Electrical Service Inc. Commercial/Industrial Electrical Construction.
#1737691 - 03/07/18 07:04 AM Re: Venice offshore [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
I think I would be diving into the water with a knife in my teeth after those sharks that took the tuna. Not their fault as they need to eat to. Shame to feed them a big tuna though...

Good report. No wahoo?

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1737837 - 03/09/18 07:56 AM Re: Venice offshore [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
The sharks would go after you just as fast as it did the tuna. They might just liken human flesh better.

We did not target the tuna but a few guys around did and struck out. Not many in this area at this time. Most of them are on the other side.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1737970 - 03/11/18 03:38 AM Re: Venice offshore [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
duckhuntingfreak Offline

Loc: middletown
My mouth is watering!! How do those blacks taste?? I know they are smaller, but taste is more important than size!!
#1739025 - 03/27/18 01:44 PM Re: Venice offshore [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Handberrydea Offline

Well done bro!

Active Topics