ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 122 < 1 2 3 4 ... 121 122 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#786925 - 06/18/03 01:21 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
RatherGoFishin Offline

First off I want to start by saying no one in the metal music industry....no one.....has done what metallica has. I have been a fan since kill em' all and like all of us with time, we change. Hetfield can't possibly sound like he did from Kill em' all to justice. As for giving up on them as a band, guys please. Look at all the jam bands that rocked throught the times...The Dead, Allman Bros, Stones. They ALL do not sound like they did "back in the day".
I will ALWAYS be a metal head and a huge metallica fan to the day the hang it up for good. The new album has some issues, no doubt. But I have been listening to it for 2 weeks now and there are some songs on there that are not 1/2 bad. The mix sux, and that snare is the most annoying thing in the world. But the album was the #1 selling album last week being on the shelf for 4 days.

As for these 1 hit wonder metal bands today (some of them are pretty good), none of them will ever come close to what metallica has done musically. Do really think sevendust, godsmack or system of a down will last for nearly 2
decades????

I have seen the set list of a few of the recent concerts and only 2 new songs were played. The rest of set was songs like Whiplash, Ride the lightning, Seek and destroy. Has metallica lost their luster with age, yes, no question. But they are still the godfathers of modern day metal and I doubt we will ever see the likes of another band like this for a loooong time.

Can't wait to see them in July!!!
My $.02 also. ;\)

ps. look to the sky just before u die......

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
--Henry David Thoreau
Fishing Info
#786926 - 06/18/03 01:25 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

By the way, am I the only one that noticed Kirt Hamster got Hairplugs???
#786927 - 06/18/03 01:41 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mitch P. Offline

The hopes of me liking this album are bleak, but I will probably at least give it a chance.

As for bands hanging it up when it’s time, you’ve got to respect the Ramones, my favorite band of all time. They ended it right. Unfortunately, Joey Ramone is no longer alive to get the respect.

Slacktide, I have one of Nevermore’s albums (forget which one.) The music is good, but the lyrics were kind of lame – not necessarily satanic, but almost. I enjoyed the music of some of the extreme death metal bands, such as Deicide, but the lyrics are just too ridiculous.

RatherGoFishin, Metallica definitely still rocks live! I was really psyched to hear that Rob Trujillo, (from Suicidal Tendencies, another favorite band of mine) joined Metallica. When they hit the stage during MTV’s Icon special, I thought they blew every band away as soon as they starting playing “Hit the Lights.”

I’m sure they’ll be good on this tour, I just can’t deal with all the opening bands to wait for Metallica. I would love to seem them in a club like Toad’s one day. Some day, it will probably happen.
#786928 - 06/18/03 01:53 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
RatherGoFishin Offline

If that day comes, I will be there. No matter what. I missed the Mtv icon.

As for waiting throught he other bands there's one solution for that.....beer. Lots of it. Linkin park is actually pretty good live. I saw them with Staind (they sucked) and LP was pretty tight. Suicidal was one of my favorites as well.
Never got to see the Ramones live. I was too young. (18) When they came to toads nine years ago.

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
--Henry David Thoreau
#786929 - 06/18/03 01:54 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

Mitch, you must be confused about Nevermore, they're more of a political/current topics type of band, no satan crap in any of they're albums.
Try downloading a song & tell me if you think it's the same band, let me know.
#786930 - 06/18/03 01:58 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Tackleman Offline

Loc: Suffield/Niantic, CT
Just saw Carlos Santana last night, still inspiring to hear him wail......

It's hard to stand the test of time. Most have their moments and usually it's a very short one. The reason Metallica sucks now is because they were so great then.

That's the way it goes, right music, right time, right generation... its all fleeting.

But their classic music will remain forever!! \:\)

Striper Tubes - Keels & More!!

#786931 - 06/18/03 02:10 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I can agree with most of you regarding the oldschool Jaymz, Lars, Jason, Kirt.rocked harded, BUT!!!....you need to keep in mind this band is older now (I don't soud the same today as I did 14 or 15 years ago!!). My thoughts on the new album: It is way better then Load and Reload.... they were (_I_) I think I listened to them like 3 times fully. The new album is a lot heavier then the last two, but still keep in mind they absolutely do not sound the same as they did years ago.....they never will (Plus the fact James is sober now :p . Well still in all It took me a a few times listening through the entire album to dig some of the songs..there are plenty of riffs in there that refelct the oldschool style. Bottomline is they were and are a great band..I don't think anyone will ever get close to what they played in years past (Bells, Fade to balck, Master.., Justice, Four horsemen, breadfan, but the fact they are still rocking...is plain BAD ASS!! Also, for all the people that really can't dig the new album (I still prefer the older stuff by far)....they give you a code on the CD that allows you to go to a Website and burn a bunch of old songs from various concerts. I will still always air guitar and air drum when I hear an old song on the radio.... \:D Sorry for the book, but Metallica the band, the boyz still rock in my mind. (I totally understand that opinions do vary) Ok, damn it.lets go get some fish!!
#786932 - 06/18/03 02:21 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mitch P. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by slacktide:
Mitch, you must be confused about Nevermore, they're more of a political/current topics type of band, no satan crap in any of they're albums.
From Dreaming Neon Black, track 5, “Deconstruction”

Quote:
Christ is a weapon that chisels at our lives
Deconstruction
The martyr takes his aim and wounds the holy man
And on the eighth day God made the art of war
And laughing planned the end
Trust me, I have no problem with extreme rock lyrics. I listened to bands like Deicide and Obituary that made Slayer seem like a lounge act. And I’m not saying the guys in Nevermore believe in the lyrics I quoted, or that type of theme runs throughout their music. Like certain movies, I think some of these bands are entertainment and you have to take the lyrics with a grain of salt. I would check out their new album if you recommend it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tackleman:
But their classic music will remain forever!! \:\)
Yes indeed!
#786933 - 06/18/03 02:23 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mitch P. Offline

Since we’re on the topic of metal, some of you might enjoy listening to these Internet radio stations:
http://www.knac.com/
http://www.hardradio.com/
#786934 - 06/18/03 02:25 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Drewfus Offline

I have only heard snippets of St Anger...and it sounded like a mishmosh of sounds. Like a garage band trying to play as loud as possible. I am not looking foward to hearing the new album. I thought Load was crap, but in a vacuum if you don;t compare Reload to thier other masterpieces i think it is pretty good.

I just wish metallica would be more like megadeth. Thier sound evolved in the 90's, and the 1998 album "Cryptic Writings" is tenfold better than anything metallica was putting out at the time. Their sound evolved in the 90's unlike metallica which completely changed everything. They tried to change is up with the album "Risk" in 99 but it was not heavy enough for most fans. SO they brought back more of the old sound for 01's "The world needs a hero" i enjoy the album, but you can tell the creative juices were running thin.
BTW in 1992 they put out "Countdown to Extinction" one of my favorite albums ever. If you are a metal fan you owe it to yourself to get it.

Is there anyone else going to see Iron Maiden at the Meadows in July??? If so we should meet in the parking lot to do some tailgating.

Mitch: you should start a fitness post if that is what you are into. We all can share tips and workouts. I am always looking for new workouts.
Page 2 of 122 < 1 2 3 4 ... 121 122 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics