ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1568417 - 03/29/14 10:12 AM Carrying a firearm while boating or fishing
skinnedknuckles Offline

Loc: CT
I posted this question at http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/ub...ile#Post1568308 but I believe I should have posted it here, so I'll repeat it. I hope Law Enforcement can provide me with some guidance. I don't believe the new laws mentioned anything on this subject.

I am a CT State Permit for Carry Pistols and Revolvers holder. With Spring around the corner (we hope) I'd like to carry (concealed would be my choice) while boating/fishing but have some concerns. As I understand it, carry in a boat is no different from carry in a car, once you are on the water, although confirming this hasn't been easy. The problem as I see it is the launch ramp. Any boat launch located in a state park (Haddam Meadows, for example) would be a "no carry" zone, I believe. Is this correct? Also Corps of Engineers reservoirs are off limits. I can't find anything on the Riverfront Recapture web site about the Riverside Park rules. What about state launches that are not in a park? Does anyone know of a comprehensive source compiling carry friendly, and unfriendly, launches in the state and other information?

I know Long Island Sound poses additional issues due to multiple state jurisdictions, but I'm talking about inland waters in this question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fair winds and following seas.
Fishing Info
#1568695 - 03/31/14 09:40 AM Re: Carrying a firearm while boating or fishing [Re: skinnedknuckles]
EnCon Police Offline

Technically firearms are not permitted in a state park.

If you take a chance on carrying it and someone in the park sees it and complains then you're in a tough spot as the park regulation specifically prohibits carrying a firearm.

However, waterfowl hunters go through the parks to get on their boats with firearms all the time. I would suggest you do the same thing as them. Don't carry the handgun on your person but have it in a locked case while transiting the park property.
#1568787 - 03/31/14 03:51 PM Re: Carrying a firearm while boating or fishing [Re: skinnedknuckles]
slack_tide75 Offline

I had an OUPV class where the same question was posed about carrying on salt water and our proximity to NY and RI. Is there an official stance on this at least as far as Connecticut waters are concerned? Reciprocity with other states?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut." -Korean Proverb
#1568831 - 03/31/14 07:40 PM Re: Carrying a firearm while boating or fishing [Re: EnCon Police]
skinnedknuckles Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Technically firearms are not permitted in a state park.

If you take a chance on carrying it and someone in the park sees it and complains then you're in a tough spot as the park regulation specifically prohibits carrying a firearm.

However, waterfowl hunters go through the parks to get on their boats with firearms all the time. I would suggest you do the same thing as them. Don't carry the handgun on your person but have it in a locked case while transiting the park property.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate the practical approach.

Fair winds and following seas.
#1568925 - 04/01/14 09:24 AM Re: Carrying a firearm while boating or fishing [Re: skinnedknuckles]
EnCon Police Offline

When you start going across state lines, particularly NY - all bets are off. You would need to check with NY EnCon or NY State Police. With their new gun laws I wouldn't even want to venture a guess. I don't want to tell you something that ends up jamming somebody up.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics