ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1186845 - 02/24/10 01:06 PM game bird stocking
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
Since it is possible that we will no longer have a pheasant stocking program a few of us have been discussing stocking gamebirds pheasant, chuckar, quail and hungarian partridge on state land to hunt ourselves. I talked with Western HQ about stocking birds in a certain WMA last fall and was told it's OK as long as you don't mind other people harvesting them. What would the requirement be for pheasants without a state run tag program. Would the birds have to be banded. And hungarian partridge have no current season. Could on be added. Thanks

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
Fishing Info
#1186859 - 02/24/10 01:21 PM Re: game bird stocking [Re: danny k]
EnCon Police Offline

Who did you talk to about stocking birds? You can not liberate birds without a permit, and that's generally for field trials and private preserves/game clubs. You can release pigeons for training dogs.

I haven't heard anything about DEP not stocking pheasants, in fact I got an email from Bob Crook that specifically states that the email that was going around saying that the Governor was going to cut the pheasant program was not true.

This is what Bob sent out......

There is an e-mail circulating this is a FALSE RUMOR!! It says “Bob, Mark Clavette from the DEP wildlife office has confirmed that Governor Rell has proposed to eliminate the pheasant stocking program this year. Please spread the work to have people contact their state legislators to see if we can get this stopped.”
This is undoubtedly last year’s issue that was already successfully addressed. In speaking to Mark Clavette this AM he assured me there is NO TRUTH to the rumor. The Governor this year has given approval for the program to proceed, and DEP has been given approval to proceed with the pheasant purchase process, based upon last year’s program revenue success.

CAUTION: Sending e-mails that have not been substantiated by a reliable source only hurts our cause, our other efforts, and credibility. Clearly Legislators, CCS, and other recipients DO NOT need to hear and have to investigate Rumors or False information.
#1186879 - 02/24/10 01:53 PM Re: game bird stocking [Re: EnCon Police]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
Oh wow, I called the main number and asked to talk to someone about releasing birds. I suppose it was a C.0. or Forester. Thanks for the good news.

Edited by danny k (02/24/10 01:55 PM)

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics