ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1254678 - 09/29/10 03:19 AM 2 Atlantic salmon reg questions?
***Coach Paul*** Offline

FISH-ON !!!!

Fishing for Atlantic Salmon is limited to use
of a single fly or artificial lure with a single
free-swinging hook. Additional weight may not
be added to the line.

(1st)I just started using a center-pin last year and I wanted to know if this method is legal during the salmon season here in CT? I would use a float/bobber to a leader with no additional weight to a hand tied fly. I guess the question is does a bobber which suspends your lure count as additional weight?

(2nd)a single fly or artificial lure with a single
free-swinging hook
is there a weight limit on hand tied flies? On several patterns I use alot of lead and I just want to make sure what the regulations are as to weight?

Thanks for your help
Fishing Info
#1254746 - 09/29/10 02:05 PM Re: 2 Atlantic salmon reg questions? [Re: ***Coach Paul***]
EnCon Police Offline

No a bobber has the opposite effect of weight.

No weight limit on the flies. The Commissioner's Declaration states ..."using a single fly, or an artificial lure with a single free swinging hook. Additional weight may not be added to the line.

As long as you are using a single fly with a single free swinging hook and the fly design normally incorporates lead into the pattern, I don't interpret that as adding weight "to the line". My interpretation is that if you used lead weights, like small split shot, added to the line it would be illegal. If the normally accepted practice for a specific fly pattern is to incorporate lead foil or thread into the fly, I believe it would be acceptable.
#1254959 - 09/30/10 01:32 AM Re: 2 Atlantic salmon reg questions? [Re: EnCon Police]
***Coach Paul*** Offline

FISH-ON !!!!

thankyou
#1260113 - 10/16/10 11:39 PM Re: 2 Atlantic salmon reg questions? [Re: ***Coach Paul***]
BHansenSFD Offline

Loc: North Haven, CT
Thanks for bringing this up. I also use a centerpin rod and was curious about these questions and hadnt gotten around to bringing it up. I have also been trying to find information on centerpinning with no weight as I am not sure how it would float or drift due to not having the split shot pattern.
#1263261 - 10/27/10 08:12 AM Re: 2 Atlantic salmon reg questions? [Re: ***Coach Paul***]
JEREMIAH Offline
Sweet-water Shake dowm

Pretty easy as for the float without the added weights... Think of the CFS of our rivers and streams around here VS where u prob learned the technique. The fly pretty much is timed as the float in most cases. I have been Quite successsful with the Pin in the ""N" recently with stones and terrestrial bug patterns....

Coach - Hit me with a PM and we'll talk.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics