BONES!!!!

Posted by: Blaine

BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 05:54 PM

Been hearing some rumblings about bones showing already. They have been thick out around the Vineyard and Nantucket so I was fairly sure we could find some a lot closer to home today. Josh and I left Niantic at 5 and headed east. We took a look around Race Rock but saw nothing so we continued along the Island. By 5:45 we were starting to see birds grouping up and begin diving. Not long after that there was peanuts spraying out of the water. The splashed looked odd... Fast moving and slashing just like albies but they were much smaller. We downsized to match the hatch and hooked up right away. Mystery solved... Frigate Mackerel!

Haven't seen them in a long time. They were everywhere and not afraid of the boat at all. We had fish blowing up all around the boat, they were blasting 2 feet out of the water after the bait and looked like micro tuna blitzes. They move fast as hell for as small as they are!

It wasn't too much longer when we spotted some much larger slashes and splashes. We stayed way up wind and let the breeze move us to the fish. We both hooked up right away with our first of many bones. Mine was first to the boat and I didn't want to take any chances on losing the first one so I scooped it up in the net. She looks a bit tattered in the pic but the skunk was out of the boat!

Just like the albies, the bones loved the Sebiles. Accurate casts produced hits every time. Many were misses and there were some spectacular explosions as well but we did manage to hook our share on the swimmers.

At one point, a couple of fish popped up a long way off the bow so I grabbed the rod with the Deadly Dick on it and fired off a hail Mary cast. I didn't get 3 turns on the reel when I hooked up. Just as I got that one within a few yards of the boat, another one popped up 30 feet away. I threw the rod with the fish on it in the holder and grabbed a rod with a Sebile on it, fired off a cast and again hooked up instantly. LOL... Now what? Somehow I managed to keep the two of them from getting tangled and got them both in the boat.

After we had boated a few each, I switched over to a Shimano Waxwing. They cast a mile and have some great action. I burned mine just below the surface and they were all over it...

We both had stuff to do this morning so we called it quits at 9 and headed in. We stayed right around Fishers all morning and had a blast. I kept 8 for the table and they were all loaded with peanuts and squid. Can't ever remember getting into them this early before, especially in the numbers we found... Could be an interesting albie season!
Posted by: CWood Man

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 05:59 PM

Wow awesome stuff Blaine!
Posted by: JohnS

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 06:10 PM

Nice!!
Posted by: Jimbo

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 06:11 PM

Very, very nice!!
Posted by: Tmack9200

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 06:18 PM

Those little macks would be great to troll at the edge.....nice job on the bones....
Posted by: SoundsFishy

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 06:24 PM

Great Read Blaine...thx!!

applause
Posted by: Firefighter Skippy

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 06:51 PM

Makes me itch to get out there right now though it is pouring rain and thundering.
Posted by: Tall 1

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 06:54 PM

Always the first dog on da bones! Great job guys! bowdown
Posted by: Bill Mac

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 07:04 PM

Nice job Blaine and Josh!!!!!!
Posted by: RickCee

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 07:20 PM

Well,,,,,,I know what I'm doing Sunday cha

Thanks and nice job guys applause
Posted by: Pistol

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 07:29 PM

Nice report Blaine, hooking into a bone is still on my "got to do " list. I have always wanted to try one for table fare!

Great pics !!!
Posted by: ZacharyHintz

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 07:37 PM

You didn't save those macks for bass bait?
Posted by: OHMYGOD

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 07:45 PM

SAWEET! applause
Posted by: Bart O

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 08:26 PM

Great job on the double header beerchug
Posted by: wheresthegaf2

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 08:33 PM

Man I was just there all week, saw nothing like that, you musta hit it right on the head, I checked the watch hill area every day. nice job!
Posted by: StarkC69

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 09:25 PM

Way to find the speedsters fellas!!
Posted by: Bill S

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/10/12 09:41 PM

Good stuff! How do you cook the Bonito Blaine?
Posted by: Climber

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 12:22 AM

Great job Blaine! I can't wait to get out and catch some of those now!
Posted by: chris med

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 12:25 AM

thanks for ruining my Block trip if Woodski is aboard!!!;hahahahahahah Very nice man............
Posted by: CAPT. HOOP

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 12:53 AM

Deffinatly fun to catch. Know you had a blast.

The viet population down here eats them all the time. I never have tried any. How do you cook them Blaine?
Posted by: RichZ

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 01:19 AM

Wow! Nice work.
Posted by: joe sabas the fishin magician

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 01:34 AM

Great report and pic's as usual sir , very nice

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 09:18 AM

I steak them up. Marinate in an Italian dressing and toss them on the grill. Quick and easy!
Posted by: psych fish

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 09:38 AM

bones make great Sushi if you are a sushi fan. Taste like a very mild tuna - great!
Posted by: jdiorio21

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 10:57 AM

Great job Blaine! I think i well be taking a few days of this week. Ill tell you wat though if i get some of those Macks I'm heading to the nearest reef and dropping en back drown.
Posted by: JoshB

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 11:58 AM

Fun day for sure. With the warm water temps, a frigate may be too fast for anything sizeable to try and chase. Never met such a spastic fish in my life!
Posted by: Murph

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/11/12 11:52 PM

Awesome! Can't wait to get out that way.
Posted by: SteveY

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/12/12 12:19 AM

As always, great report, read and pics. One species I've never had the pleasure of landing...add to bucket list.
Posted by: Albiemanmike

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/13/12 12:50 AM

That was an awesome report Blaine thanks for sharing. I went out there today to take a look see but found nothing? What a difference a couple of days make. Only saw some micro bluefish at the Race and Fishers was a ghost town. Went all the way to Weekapaug and back and never saw a single splash much less fish. There was a ton of birds working the front of the Breach way but there were too many surfers in the way plus the waves were huge and couldn't even get near the breachway. And the water was dirty, so much so you could even get a cast in without getting clogged up with mung. Looked good but just wasn't meant to be in guess. Should have been here yesterday I guess.

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/13/12 06:20 PM

Mike, I did the same run yesterday. That swell screwed things up pretty good, tons of weed in the water didn't help either. Saw some briefly in the Race but my clients weren't as accurate as they could have been... They'll be back soon enough.
Posted by: jonsey

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/13/12 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Blaine
Mike, I did the same run yesterday. That swell screwed things up pretty good, tons of weed in the water didn't help either. Saw some briefly in the Race but my clients weren't as accurate as they could have been... They'll be back soon enough.

The clients or the bones?

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/13/12 07:42 PM

Da bones!
Posted by: Firefighter Skippy

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/14/12 12:01 AM

Went around Fishers today and the only breaking fish/birds were bluefish.
Posted by: John from Madison CT

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/14/12 01:00 PM

Great report !!

All I keep thinking is..........Monster Sword Baits.
Posted by: upsinker

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/14/12 02:18 PM

awesome report, looks like it was a blast
Posted by: mattman

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/14/12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Blaine

Accurate cast?
Blaine is that out in front and just beyond the moving schoolso you retrieve it right infront of their nose??

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/14/12 04:09 PM

Depends... Many days you have to lead them by a few feet, my clients were consistently just behind and short. The day that Josh and I had them, the bones had the bait balled up and we would cast beyond them and reel the lures through the fray.
Posted by: Ole Glory

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/15/12 01:11 AM

Well done, Well done
Posted by: Mitch P.

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/16/12 12:09 AM

Nice trip. Homepage:
http://www.ctfisherman.com/
Posted by: TimP

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/16/12 07:10 AM

good catching nice pics
Posted by: ChuckGear

Re: BONES!!!! - 08/16/12 12:30 PM