ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#403662 - 09/01/05 11:30 AM Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last night a few of the MANY CTF members who contributed towards this 51" and 51# Striper mount, in memory of Kevin's Father Ron Bova, presented Kevin with it in Stamford.

From left to right: Noodles/Bill, Don P., PaPa Bear/Don, and Kevin Bova. Mitch took the pic. (YES obviously with HIS camera...I didn't even bring my digital).

The plaque reads:
"Honoring the fishing memories of Ron and Kevin Bova.
-Your Friends at ctfisherman"

Ron Bova passed away January 15, 2005. Ron was a GREAT Father, Husband, Brother, Grandfather, Uncle,..... Kevin posted about the sudden loss of his Father, best friend and best fishing partner. Kevin\'s Post about His Father\'s Passing

Kevin: All of those who could not attend sent their best wishes and wished they could be there for the presentation.

I PMed all members who contributed towards this mount and plaque and invited them to the presentation. I acknowledge it was a short 1 day notice, but it was the best we could do. Mitch set up the meeting with Kevin under the premise Mitch wanted to meet Kevin at his Stamford Boats shop to discuss a future purchase of a SALTWATER boat!....which Mitch really plans on doing. We wanted a 100% confirmation on the day and time of this meeting before I sent out all the PM invites.....thus the short notice.

Kevin's deep relationship with his Father was very touching and many members responded to Kevin's post. I PMed Kevin about his loss and 30+ years of fishing memories with his Father.

Here are some memories Kevin shared with me:
 Quote:
I caught my 1st of many 40lb stripers when I was 4 years old , My dad put the rod in the holder and held the back of my pants,
it took 20 mins to get to the boat and weighed 41 lbs , still remember like it was yesterday, I have pics and plaques of my 51lber caught when I was 10 years old
the fish was 51 inches 51 lbs, My dad had sent it to a taxidermist, long story short , the guy went bankrupt lost the fish and the deposit money.
these are 2 of 2000 stories with my Dad,
just enjoy your time with yours , I know you will
I began thinking of that 51" and 51lb striper Kevin caught, his Dad set out to have it mounted and the mount was never done. It seemed like there was some unfinished business to be done and where else could this be accomplished than with our generous and understanding members here at ctfisherman!

I sent out PMs to all who responded to Kevin's post about his Dad's passing. I also sent out PMs to CTF members I knew well enough to ask for donations who did not see Kevin's post. I could not contact all 5,000+ members and still keep the process a surprise for Kevin...didn't want to make a public post on it.....so I do apologize for not being able to give you all the opportunity to contribute on this mount....but consider this an entire CTF effort.....we know you would have if asked.....Thank You.

I got in contact with the best taxidermy place I knew of and also recommended to by fellow CTF members as the best of the best.....Northeast Taxidermy in Middletown, CT owned and run by Joe and Lowrey Pitruzzello. I told Lowrey what CTF wanted to do and she said no problem and cut us a very generous discount. I had the mount process started right away in February knowing the CTF donations would roll in....and they did indeed! Members raised $415 towards this mount and plaque! WELL DONE!!!!!!! I picked the mount up from NE Taxidermy 8-13-05 and man was I IMPRESSED with that mount, their showroom and their whole operation up there!....more on that later

Here is Lowrey presenting the striper mount to me up at Northeast Taxidermy:

THANK YOU JOE AND LOWREY OF NORTHEAST TAXIDERMY!!!!!
It was GREAT to finally meet Kevin for the first time and also to present him with this CTF commemoration of his Father and their fishing memories together. Kevin was very surprised, touched and emotional over the generosity of the mount and plaque. I am sure Ron is too!

After we all talked with Kevin about boats, trailers, fishing, etc....we decided to get some eats and drinks at Bobby Valentine's sportsbar in downtown Stamford. Nice place!

Here are some more pics from
Northeast Taxidermy
770 Newfield Street
Middletown, CT 06457
(860)613-2067

Their AWESOME showroom

NICE Marlin

Swordfish

Moose & Deer

Cougar

Turkey
Fishing Info
#403663 - 09/01/05 11:46 AM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Mitch P. Offline

Well done Don. It's one thing to say nice things to each other online, but to go out and actually do something for someone is very rare.

Oh yeah, the mount is awesome! One day. One day. \:D

Great to meet Noodles yesterday, and spend the evening with him, Kevin, Don and the Papa Bear.
#403664 - 09/01/05 11:51 AM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great seeing you again Mitch. It was a great night out.

THANKS once again for creating this great site Mitch for all of us to share our fishing passion and make some great fishing partners and friends.
#403665 - 09/01/05 11:51 AM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
reelnice Offline

Nice job Don..and all envolved!!

PRESERVE THE RESOURCE FOR NOW AND MORE IMPORTANTLY FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS!
TIGHT LINES TO ALL ctfisherman
STEPHEN N.
#403666 - 09/01/05 11:55 AM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Jimbo Offline

Loc: Ridgefield
Very nice job guys and a great gesture!

#403667 - 09/01/05 11:57 AM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
fuzzy2u Offline

Bravo, Don, and everyone else who made this happen.
#403668 - 09/01/05 12:14 PM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Enjoy Kevin! Times like this make me proud to be a CTF member

Don, if you want to see pictures, taken with a real camera, check out the taxidermy link on CT Outfitters website :p
#403669 - 09/01/05 01:05 PM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Good Job Don and Congrats Kevin. Hope to meet you at this years boat show in Norwalk...

That is a nice fish!!

And Don, Throw that camera away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#403670 - 09/01/05 02:03 PM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
MrMikie Offline

Loc: Groton, CT

WTG Don for stepping up and getting this done.

I am sure this will have a very special meaning for Kevin.

It looks real nice.

Mike

Nobody is born with all the knowledge, we need to learn from each other!
#403671 - 09/01/05 02:12 PM Re: Kevin Bova's 51" 51# Striper Mount Presented to Him by CTF in Memory of His Father
Kbova Offline

I have to respond and have to tell the story behind all of this , I've been up all night just thinking how to say thank you
I will Start with Memory of this great fish. I have a passion that just can't be explained nor taught, either you have it or you don't.
I had a childhood that is filled with thousands of great memories with my Dad , he taught me everything I know about fishing and most of all striped bass fishing.I don't know if you can begin to understand how close I was with my Dad . I think Since I was born up to and past high school I spent almost everyday down the Cove Island boat club with my Dad and 20-30 other great people, Eddie Umile the commodore of the club gave me a nick name " Bunker " . I think to this day the guys that hung around the boat house still think that is my name.
I am 38 years old and caught my 1st of many 40lb stripers when I was 4 years old , My dad put the rod in the holder and held the back of my pants,
it took 20 mins to get to the boat and weighed 41 lbs , still remember like it was yesterday. One of my fondest memories is when I caught my biggest fish and at the time biggest in the family.August 27 1977 at 10 years old me and my dad got up around 4 am ( done a tons of times before ) went out in our 17 ft Boston Whaler 70 hp Johnson snagged live bunker and headed into Scott's cove ( Darien ) my father threw a big live one in and a fish hit 6 times out of the water , never swallowed it. Me being the quick thinker that I was, I take the 9/0 Stainless steel hook put in the back of the smallest bunker I can find tossed it about 15 ft away from the boat let it swim to where my dad's bunker was getting hit ,the fish takes my bunker and runs, my dad says hook em, I lock the reel ( I believe it was a Penn 500 that's all we used ) and pulled back & the fish was on . Well 15 minutes go by as the fish really didn't run as back then we didn't fish strong currents just inshore near rocks and structure we could see. The fish just kept circling the boat until she finally came along side the boat laying on its side.This is when I never saw my father get so excited , he lititerly almost fell over the buckets and into the water as he put his hand in the fishes mouth pulled the fish in the boat and said " Man that's a big fish , he'll go fifty pounds way to go bunk" ( MY nick name or I thought was my real name until I went to school \:\) )
I can remember this as he hugged me and kept slapping me on the back saying all the way back to the dock
" Man he 's big " Man he's Big "
You see my dad Caught more bass than anyone and I mean big bass but never broke the 50lb mark. He had 11 fish that weighed 49 to 49 3/4 lbs , I have pictures of him with 25 bass in 2 days ( 1971 ) that went 30+lbs to 49lbs,there wasn't a better fisherman than my dad.He was so proud of me that day in 1977 as any Father would be, God bless dad.
One day in 1985 my Dad did break the 50 club ( 53 1/4 lbs ), but I teased him for a good 8yrs about who had the biggest fish in the Family.
My Father sent the fish to get mounted 51 inches 51lbs , long story short the place goes bankrupt, I lose the fish and deposit ( my Mom's 2 pay checks $$ in 1977 this was a lot ) We begged just for the fish back , wrote letters everything, to no avail lost everything all I had was the picture in the Stamford Advocate and a plaque of my 51lber caught when I was 10 years old.

WELL NOT ANYMORE THANKS TO SOME TRULY GREAT PEOPLE AND THE CTFISHERMEN FAMILY
AND MOST OF ALL DON P

Well before I get to choked up here again
I like to say with all that is going on in this world
There are truly great people on this earth who really care and Great people on this site
Like I just wrote to Don P

I don't know if you know the impact this has on me & how this has touched me, and my Family
but I can't even speak or put it into words
Thank you so much and I mean to everyone Thank you
every time I look at this beautiful fish it brings me back to that day with my dad, and this is a great memory.
this brings a little more closure on the passing of my dad.

Don it was truly a honor to meet you and every one last night for the 1st TIME
well Mitch this site you Started ( you and every prilivage Member ) should be proud
It's a honor to part of this and this the nicest thing ever done for me

Thanks Again to everyone

Tight lines only happen to those who fish
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics