ctfisherman.com logo
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1568942 - 04/01/14 10:10 AM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
EnCon Police Offline

The limit on barrel length is 12 inches (see below)

If you want to deer hunt, my suggestion is a 6" or 8" barrel. You get the maximum velocity out of a round with the longer barrel and they will be a bit more accurate. A 4 inch barrel works reasonably well out to about 25 yards and a 2" barrel is good for gunfights in an elevator. If I were going to try to take down a deer, personally, I would go with a minimum of a 6" barrel.

Sec. 26-82a. Private land revolver permit to hunt deer. Requirements. The commissioner shall issue, upon payment of a five-dollar fee, to the owner of ten or more acres of private land or a resident of this state, who has the consent of the owner of ten or more acres of private land, a private land revolver permit that allows the use of a revolver, as defined in section 29-27, to hunt deer from November first to December thirty-first, inclusive, pursuant to the bag limit established for a private land deer permit under subsection (a) of section 26-86a. Any person authorized to hunt deer by revolver pursuant to this section shall use a cartridge of .357 caliber or larger for such purpose.

Sec. 29-27. "Pistol" and "revolver" defined. The term "pistol" and the term "revolver", as used in sections 29-28 to 29-38, inclusive, mean any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches in length.
Fishing Info
#1568944 - 04/01/14 10:33 AM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
Bob Bradley Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
...a 2" barrel is good for gunfights in an elevator...

Gets my vote for Quote of the Year! Better be careful or people will start calling you "Dirty Skip". Go ahead punk. Make my day!

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
#1568945 - 04/01/14 10:44 AM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
Just curious, why would a single shot not have been considered in this regulation???
#1568950 - 04/01/14 10:53 AM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: KillTaker]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: KillTaker
Just curious, why would a single shot not have been considered in this regulation???

I have no idea. The regulation was put together by the Wildlife Division. Because of the way it's worded, a T/C Contender is not a permitted weapon even though they are used in other parts of the country.

If hunters let their feelings be known to the Wildlife Division then perhaps they will revisit the regulation to allow single shot firearms.
#1569077 - 04/01/14 08:39 PM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
15pounda Offline

Loc: Hartland, CT
Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.
#1569262 - 04/02/14 08:36 PM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
Tom59 Offline

Am very surprised there is no minimum length. Cant imagine deer hunting with a snubnose 357!!
#1569614 - 04/04/14 07:29 PM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
EnCon Police Offline

Update on my earlier entry.....

I spoke too soon. I honestly thought that the law originated from the Wildlife Division. Many times we are left out of the loop and only find out what the final laws/regulations are at the last minute.

As with us, this also happens to our Wildlife Division.

I have learned that the Wildlife Division had nothing to do with developing the controlling statute that permitted revolvers for deer hunting. The regulations were developed after they were handed the new law, which completed excluded the word "pistols" from the original version of the proposed legislation. From what I have been told, those debating the legislation wanted to ensure that deer hunters were not going to be using semi-automatic pistols. By removing the word "pistol", the legislation that passed completed excluded the most effective and accurate deer hunting handguns in the world in the opinion of many hunters, the single shot, break action pistols such as the TC Contender and Encore.

Most of our Wildlife biologists are hunters too and I am sure they would all agree that this should be changed, but the regulation can't be changed because it is controlled by state statute. Unfortunately in today's political environment when it comes to gun control vs gun rights, any mention of changing a law to "loosen" up the types of firers used would probably face an uphill battle.

Based on what I have learned, those in favor of changing the regulation would first need to change the statute. That's something that you would need to approach your state legislators about and gain their support for such a change. You might be able to get someone to sponsor a change for single shot, break action pistols as they don't have "large capacity" magazines and don't look like assault weapons. Gun control supporters may even support such a change as it would be allowing the use of a single shot weapon.

I apologize for any confusion!
#1569616 - 04/04/14 07:49 PM Re: Revolver Deer Hunting Emergency Regulation [Re: EnCon Police]
Paul D. Offline

Lifetime Member

Loc: South Central, CT
No apology necessary. We are all on the receiving end of these obviously clueless folks. banghead

Boat Ho in the Know

Team DILLIGAF

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics