ctfisherman.com logo
Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1629675 - 04/21/15 10:42 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
SWMPYNKE Offline

I was wondering if the fish in question could have been introduced through the water being pumped up from the housy as a fry or juvenile as it's been assumed that's how the Northerns in C-wood have gotten there. Personally, I think it's legit, after all we do have mt. lions all over the place.
Fishing Info
#1629679 - 04/21/15 10:56 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: SWMPYNKE]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
There are no fry or juvies in that part of the housy....
#1629680 - 04/21/15 10:59 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
orangesunshine Offline

Loc: New Britain Ct
Just out of curiosity how many of you would like it if the DEEP started a hybrid stocking program in one of the bigger freshwater lakes here in ct, obviously one with some current or moving water which would take cwood off that list. Personally I think it would be pretty cool and a stocking effort that not only would be fun but would also work and be very effective in the right body of water.

May the four winds blow you safely home.

#1629681 - 04/21/15 11:01 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
JoeyHBCT Offline

C&R

Loc: Meriden CT
they are about to axe salmon and big browns... what makes you think they would add any type of fish. this state is doomed as far as introducing new species. I still think musky could be amazing in lilly! but that will never happen.
#1629682 - 04/21/15 11:04 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
orangesunshine Offline

I'm not saying that it will ever happen, I just think it would be far more effective than much of the trout salmon and walleye programs they've already set up. I totally agree with you on the musky, I'm not really a toothy critter fisherman but musky would be pretty rad, I'd like hybrids more though. one can dream lol

#1629683 - 04/21/15 11:04 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: orangesunshine]
KillTaker Offline

Originally Posted By: orangesunshine
Just out of curiosity how many of you would like it if the DEEP started a hybrid stocking program in one of the bigger freshwater lakes here in ct, obviously one with some current or moving water which would take cwood off that list. Personally I think it would be pretty cool and a stocking effort that not only would be fun but would also work and be very effective in the right body of water.

Completely stupid here. We are too close to their natural habitat. And our freshwater lakes are chock full of other AweSOme species already. This makes more sense to do in GA, TN, OK, wherever you have a truly landlocked system far away from salt....

What are you referring to with moving water??? Hybrid white bass/stripers do not reproduce....
#1629685 - 04/21/15 11:07 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
KillTaker Offline

Why do you keep saying hybrids?
#1629688 - 04/21/15 11:15 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
orangesunshine Offline

I really don't know too much about the hybrid white bass/stripers I guess since they don't reproduce current wouldn't be an issue. I was just wondering if anyone else would have interest in having them in any of our lakes. personally I think it could be fun, just my opinion and will never happen so you've got nothing to worry about.

#1629689 - 04/21/15 11:17 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
KillTaker Offline

Landlocked striped bass[edit]
Striped bass are an anadromous fish, so their spawning ritual of traveling up rivers to spawn led some of them to become landlocked during lake dam constructions. The first area where they became landlocked was documented to be in the Santee-Cooper River during the construction of the two dams that impounded Lakes Moultrie and Marion, and because of this, the state game fish of South Carolina is the striped bass.[20]

Recently, biologists came to believe that striped bass stayed in rivers for long periods of time, with some not returning to sea unless temperature changes forced migration. Once fishermen and biologists caught on to rising striped bass populations, many state natural resources departments started stocking striped bass in local lakes. Striped bass still continue the natural spawn run in freshwater lakes, traveling up river and blocked at the next dam, which is why they are landlocked. Landlocked stripers have a hard time reproducing naturally, and one of the few and most successful rivers they have been documented reproducing successfully is the Coosa River in Alabama and Georgia.[21]

A 70.6-lb (32.0-kg) landlocked bass was caught in February 2013 by James Bramlett on the Warrior River in Alabama, a current world record.[22] This fish had a length of 44 inches (112 cm) and a girth of 37.75 inches (96 cm).

One of the only landlocked striped bass populations in Canada is located in the Grand Lake, Nova Scotia. They migrate out in early April into the Shubencadie River to spawn. These bass also spawn in the Stewiacke River (a tributary of the Shubencadie). The Shubencadie River system is one of five known spawning areas in Canada for striped bass, with the others being the St. Lawerence River, Miramichi River, Saint John River, Annapolis River and Shubencadie/Stewiacke Rivers.[23]
#1629690 - 04/21/15 11:22 AM Re: Big Striper CANDLEWOOD [Re: JoeyHBCT]
KillTaker Offline

The hybrids are the offspring of a striped bass and a white bass.

Landlocked striped bass are not hybrids, they just are landlocked. They do have significant trouble reproducing as described above. Therefore the stocking programs can be easily controlled. And the damage to a local ecosystem could be minimal if managed properly. The people calling foul over this one fish are cray cray. Yes, if you dropped 1000 of these in Candy maybe, but jeeze the cormorants are the ones you should be worried about....
Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics