ctfisherman.com logo
Page 29 of 43 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1581141 - 06/05/14 05:54 AM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
RayZCT Offline

Loc: Glastonbury, CT
Two reasons, (1) job, moved here from RI in 1966 to work for an insurance company and I'm now working for my fourth insurance company, never really been unemployed. (2) My daughter and family are still here, If and when I retire and they move out of state, would like to move back to RI, not that the tax situation will change, but still have many friends in RI and places we enjoy. Don't get much for my local property tax in GBury as most of the money goes to schools and my daughter graduated 30 years ago, no city fire department, all volunteer, Manchester water, private rubbish collection, no sewer system, only thing to look forward to is new CT river boat launch.

Z-Man Custom Fishing Rods
Fishing Info
#1581811 - 06/09/14 01:06 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
MattK Offline

That's why I said 'compared to most of the state,' not other states, replying to Bluechip's Old Lyme post. It's all about context.
#1581815 - 06/09/14 01:13 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
BLUECHIP Offline

Loc: Old Lyme
I used to live in Hamden... talk about High taxes for what you get.....
#1581818 - 06/09/14 01:27 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
I live in CT because of ctfisherman.com and that only....
#1581826 - 06/09/14 01:44 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: KillTaker]
BLUECHIP Offline

Loc: Old Lyme
Originally Posted By: KillTaker
I live in CT because of ctfisherman.com and that only....

you live in CT for Fishing CT Facebook Page also
#1581859 - 06/09/14 03:42 PM Re: Why do you live in CT??? [Re: Dusty]
SoundsFishy Offline

Got Milt?

Loc: Bpt CT
It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

In Bombings, we blame the Bomber. In Drunk Driving deaths we blame the Driver. In Shootings we Blame the Gun ?? wtf
#1730045 - 11/11/17 03:33 AM What’s with the anti-Connecticut sentiment?
Jamobi Offline

Loc: Stonington, CT
Just curious to know why there’s what seems like alot of CT hating on this site. Not saying any reasons are wrong just curious to see what makes other areas of the country better than here. My wife and I grew up here and couldn’t be happier. Sure the taxes suck but like everywhere, there’s trade-offs. I’ll start with some positives that we hold in high regard here in CT.
1. Education
- Public primary and secondary education are excellent.
- Public university (UCONN) has some very highly ranked programs.
•school of education, physical therapy, pharmacy, nursing are all nationally ranked just to name a few.

2. Location, location, location
- the coast of course. Personally I’m about a mile away from the salt and love it. Fishing being a favorite hobby of mine, i find that to be a big plus.
- Cape Cod National Seashore. Nuff said.
- Want to see a Broadway show or Madison Square Garden event? A couple hours by car or take the train. Prefer Boston? Same thing, a few hours by car or train. As a matter of fact, my wife fished Misquamicut and swam with our girls at Napatree point one Saturday morning and then saw Billy Joel in NYC that evening. I’m not much into ice fishing but I do like to ski. No problem, a few hours and you’re at Mt.Snow, VT or any dozen ski/board resorts.

3. Cost of living is reasonable. I didn’t say cheap, but reasonable. I have a sister in Northern California and for the same size house as mine, they paid double what I paid. Same thing with my brother in D,C. Housing there for a decent neighborhood is ridiculous. I also have family in Oklahoma and Indiana and property is cheap there, but there’s not much salt water fishing or beaches. Sure there’s the Carolina’s and Florida but how’s the public schools??

Sure the taxes suck here but there’s trade-offs everwhere.

So what reasons do you dislike or like CT? I’m not looking to argue with anyone, be judgemental or throw insults. Just looking to start a conversation that’s all. Happy fall fishing.
#1730048 - 11/11/17 07:09 AM Re: What’s with the anti-Connecticut sentiment? [Re: Jamobi]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
I love our location! But turning 50 in April I am getting sick of the cold so southern bound within 7 years. Also we have great food and medical options.

We are losing major businesses like GE which is directly affecting our dealership.

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#1730052 - 11/11/17 07:40 AM Re: What’s with the anti-Connecticut sentiment? [Re: Jamobi]
georgec5 Offline

My wife and I moved to CT from Long Island NY 5 years ago. Yes, my daughter my and grandsons are here but I was able to retire because housing and property taxes are half of what they are down there. I was a member of a "yacht club" down there for 21 years and was able to join one here for a 1/4 of what the annual fees were on Long Island. And, to top it off, Connecticut Yankees are on the whole nicer people!
#1730064 - 11/11/17 10:00 AM Re: What’s with the anti-Connecticut sentiment? [Re: Jamobi]
O-BASS Offline

We have a lot of great things in Connecticut. Our outdoor resources are certainly one of them, and at times many people Overlook just how good outdoor recreation in Connecticut can be. But there's a major reason for this, that being Connecticut as a whole for its citizens and because of this politically is not very friendly when it comes to outdoor activities.

I love living in Connecticut, and if it is NOT Maine it will be even further into northwest Connecticut that I buy my next house in the next two years. All the reasons you cited apply, especially the close proximity for just about anything you could want.

But the highlight my reason, I live in an awesome town with some wonderful people, and low crime thankfully. There are five reservoirs filled with fish within just a few moments of my house, and I have access to none of them. As difficult as that is, it would be even worse if I decided to start hunting, because none of that land is open to hunting and the few small areas that are are extremely difficult to have access granted to.

This mentality changes almost immediately when you cross the border into rural New York, Vermont New Hampshire or Maine. Even most of the areas I've been to in Massachusetts are a lot more forgiving than Connecticut. Permissions can be granted for someone with some honest intentions and the clear itinerary of what they're going to be doing. I have reached out to so many places to be able to Grant fishing access, to be denied over and over again no matter the offer. Boats, work, performances from my Ensemble... You name it I would donate it to fish several areas that are technically open to the public and not water company property or controlled by the government. No dice.

With two new kids one of our main concerns is the quality of the public school education, but being a teacher, I can tell you that it's not as horrible elsewhere as people think. Like most things in life education is what you make of it. They hand you a certain amount of stuff but you have to reach out and grab the rest.

We are very fortunate to have met so many wonderful people, and carved out a small happy and prosperous life within this state.

Pretty cool story about moving to Connecticut from way less than what it would cost to live on Long Island. That same mentality is why I want to move to Maine. You took the money that you had out there, and spread it out so much further here. I would be doing the same thing, the cost of living in Maine is substantially less. I really appreciated your Insight on that, I haven't seen you much here on the site but thanks very much for sharing George.

Great thread, kind of reminded me how much I do enjoy living here. Connecticut has some really good secrets that if you look hard enough you can find. when you do find one, it really is wonderful and worth the effort. You're never too young or too old, too skilled or two inexperienced to find these things either.

Edited by O-BASS (11/11/17 10:01 AM)
Page 29 of 43 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 42 43 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics