ctfisherman.com logo
Page 9 of 25 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#658524 - 11/10/05 04:59 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
EnCon Police Offline

Sounds like the same one, he admitted that he downloaded the photo from the internet to show his girlfriend.
Fishing Info
#658525 - 11/11/05 06:09 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
Rastacat Offline

EnCon,

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading your posts - they are very informative and have eased some of my concerns about the rumors I have been hearing. The one I heard, which allegedly is not rumor, involved 2 acquaintances on horseback who had a mountain lion cross their path near the intersection of Routes 97 and 44 in Pomfret a month or two ago. Allegedly the lion walked away after a reasonable amount of time.

Based on the info you have provided in this thread, I would say the claim is dubious. That being said, there is a POSSIBILITY that it was an authentic mountain lion sighting, and I was wondering what kind of common-sense safety precautions we as hikers and fishermen could take to avoid encounters or minimize the potential for attack during encounters by mountain lions, fishercats, bobcats, and other forest predators. My username being no pun intended!

Thanks a lot, I would like to get back to hiking the trails of Mashamoquet Park with a bit more confidence!
#658526 - 11/11/05 07:15 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
SEADOG2 Offline

Rastacat - If your talking about hikeing and fishing in CT ,there are no animals in this state that typically attack humans.As a matter of fact it's downright rare.Keep on hikeing your park with confidence...

Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot. Says, "son, make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages." I said, "Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world." And by God I was right.
#658527 - 11/12/05 09:18 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
EnCon Police Offline

Rastacat, the biggest forest predator that you have to worry about has 2 legs.

For wildlife, there is nothing in the CT woods that will hurt you if you don't try to mess with it. I recall reading someplace that statistically the highest group of people who suffer rattlesnake bites are males in their early 20's. The last thing people recalled hearing them say just before the bite was "hey, watch this!".

Don't leave food around if you are camping. Clean up and store your food away from your tent. Do all your cooking away from your campsite. Put all your food and smellables (that's anything that might smell good to an animal like soap, food, candy, deoderant, etc.) in a bag and suspend it from a high tree branch with a rope.

If you encounter a bear or other wildlife, make a lot of noise (shout) and try to make yourself look bigger. (raise your arms, stand up, etc.) DON'T run away. To wildlife, something running away equals FOOD. Walks away slowly and continue making noise. As has been discussed earlier in the thread, there have been no confirmed mountain lions in CT. If there were, do like the people in California. Don't travel in the woods alone, make noise when you are walking and if you see a big cat don't run away.

Out west it is recommended that in bear country you wear a bell that rings while you walk. Some people put bells, like sleigh bells, on their walking stick. That way you won't surprise a bear. They will hear you a long way off and be gone when you get to where they were.

We did have one case last year or the year before where a rabid bobcat attacked someone (in his backyard in Bristol if I recall correctly), but that is the exception.

Go out in the woods, have a good time and enjoy the outdoors! If you are still worried, carry a can of pepper spray. It will work on anything. We issue fire extiguisher sized cans to our officers for extra safety when we are dealing with bears.
#658528 - 11/12/05 11:55 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
BDF61 Offline

Encon, you've educated us on mountain lion and bear confrontations but left us in the dark on Elvis or alien encounters. Worse yet, I don't know what to do if I come face to face with a PETA member in the woods

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that!
#658529 - 11/13/05 12:37 AM Re: Mountain Lion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

BDF61
 Quote:
Worse yet, I don't know what to do if I come face to face with a PETA member in the woods
You may find this info from Encon helpful and apply it as needed. ;\) \:D Encon posted this about the September law Enforcement Highlights.

EnCon Police
 Quote:
While he killed the bear to defend his dogs, he apparently butchered the bear and had the meat in his freezer. The warning was for illegal possession of the bear. If he had called us immediately upon shooting the bear then it wouldn't have been an issue. He still would not have been able to keep the bear as the statute does not provide for that. We would have turned the bear over to Wildlife for their use (i.e. have it mounted for educational displays, examine it for biological data, etc.).
So feel free to shoot if threatened, call the DEP immediately and Encon will let us know where we can view the mount!!!!! \:D \:D \:D
#658530 - 11/13/05 11:36 AM Re: Mountain Lion?
289FS Offline

Loc: Torrington, Ct
"the biggest forest predator that you have to worry about has 2 legs and is usually seen on 4 wheels. But, you can usually hear them coming a mile away, just don't stand in the trail because they won't stop."

Wow! I wasn't expecting to have myself and my family classified as a forest predator. But, then again, this is why our machines are only registered in Massachusettes, where are SPECIES are welcomed!

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed (or trail) this morning, but this generalization did not settle well. Remember all colored people are not bank robbers, all women on the corner are not prostitutes, all young men of p.r. decent are not gang members, and not all white people are superior human beings!

Sorry for the rant!

EnCon, BTW - thank you for your time and input on this site. It is an overall pleasure and valuable resource you provide to this board.
#658531 - 11/13/05 10:18 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
EnCon Police Offline

289FS you are absolutely right! I don't normally use generalities. As with all issues it's the 20% that create the problems and the 80% suffer. I was typing faster than I was thinking and didn't qualify my statement. Please accept my apology as my comment was not directed at law abiding ATV riders, (I know, we don't have any place to ride in CT, but's that's an issue way above my pay grade) but rather those that choose to ignore the laws in CT and in doing so have on occasion harassed and intimidated other outdoor users. It's people like that who give all ATV operators a bad name. I have also removed that reference so as not to offend any other ATV riders.
#658532 - 11/13/05 10:35 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
Dean C Offline

Loc: Coventry
Hey, now I know why the EnCon Police wear green. It's to make the Aliens feel at home. Right \:D I bet you all have the Elvis CD's in your trucks to. And bigfoot is a Alien with five o'clock shadow. It's all clear now that I rapped my head in tinfoil.

Thanks Skip, I nearly spit coffee all over when the Aliens came up.

Every man, by virture of birth, has three wishes To out smart woman, racehorses, and fish....
#658533 - 11/13/05 11:45 PM Re: Mountain Lion?
289FS Offline

Loc: Torrington, Ct
EnCon - Thanks again. I do understand how a statement like that can be made. The bad apples ruin it for everyone.

Now, will the legal atv riding area being built by the aliens, with money donated by Elvis, affect the mountain lion's natural home? \:\)
Page 9 of 25 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics