ctfisherman.com logo
Page 12 of 28 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#924782 - 03/03/08 02:23 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: antlers]
jon s Offline

stupid

Naked Bait Co. www.nakedbaitco.com
Power Tackle Rods www.powertackle.com
Bassaholics Lifestyle Apparel www.bassaholics.com
Poor Boy's Baits www.poorboysbaits.com
Fishing Info
#924824 - 03/03/08 10:48 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: jon s]
zyg Offline

Got to wonder when TU and other groups will come out in public to support this bill like they did the marine license last year. It might be viewed as hypocritical for them to not endorse collecting fees that will help the DEP in one bill but not this one. At least in this example the funds are tied to the body of water that the fee payers use. Still likely a bad precedent.
#924827 - 03/03/08 10:57 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: zyg]
old basser Offline

HOW MANY OTHER LAKE AUTHORITIES ARE WAITING TO SEE HOW THIS IS
RECEIVED SO THEY CAN GET THEIR POUND OF FLESH.
HANK
#924865 - 03/03/08 12:00 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: old basser]
BigLee Offline

Loc: New Milford CT
If you are against this precedent then show up at the meetings and speak out with a calm but adamant position. Threatening and yelling will only take away from your credibility. Remember that the Legislators presently are hearing only one side of the story.

Have a safe time on the water and may that tight line be pulling back.

A member of Schaghticoke Bassmasters
http://members.tripod.com/~bassmasters_ct/index.html
A member of the TBF. The Bass Federation Tournament Bass Fishing for everyone.
http://www.ct-tbf.com/
#925365 - 03/04/08 12:33 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
Pappy_7 Offline

Ol' Basser

Loc: Derby, CT
You need to write your legislators and senators to oppose this. Just because it was introduced doesn't mean it will pass. I know I had legislation introduced last year for Lake Housatonic that never made it out of committee.

That being said, if you snooze, you'll loose ...
Loose free access to the State's best lake for fishing bar none!

It would be helpful if someone familiar with the situation could draft a letter with some pertinent facts for us all to personalize and send.

Some questions that immediately come to mind are, why should the state permit a PRIVATE AGENCY like the Candlewood Lake Authority such authority?

Who is the Candlewood Lake Authority. Does it have a "membership"? What keeps them from using these dollars by the general public for even more restrictive uses of the lake and increased privitization of the resource? Just how much do they spend on boating related expenses on the lake?

Walt
#925404 - 03/04/08 01:40 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Pappy_7]
Stormshadow Offline

Loc: Northford
I know we've been political in the past. Don't we think this is a priority issue? Mitch?!
#925422 - 03/04/08 02:34 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Stormshadow]
Mitch P. Offline

Mitch?

The real question is: Everyone?

There's only so much I can do to try to motivate people to speak out regarding issues surrounding the fishery.

I do my best to call attention to things and make it easy for people to get the email addresses and phone numbers they need, as well as provide sample wording people can use.

But, in the end, it's up to the individual to take action.

I'm extremely discouraged by the number of responses this recent thread for more CO officers received:
http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=921855#Post921855

Now, I'm sure there are people who took time to send emails, yet didn't reply. But, the apparant response was really very weak.

Fishermen have bitched for years (long before CTF) about the lack of enforcement in CT. Just ask some of the saltwater guys the stuff they've seen over the years.

I've said this for years now -- if you have time to spend online at ctfisherman.com, you have time to pick up the phone or send an email regarding the fishery.

If you are truly interested in perserving and bettering the fishery, send an email, letter or make a phone call. If enough of us get into the habit of doing this, eventually we might get somewhere. Complaining but not doing anything about it really accomplishes nothing.
#925817 - 03/05/08 12:25 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

A repeat of BigLee's posting...

Candlewood Lake boat sticker forums scheduled
http://www.newstimes.com/latestnews/ci_8409141
#925872 - 03/05/08 01:59 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Is this the year boat stickers stay afloat?
http://www.newstimes.com/ci_8435331
#925874 - 03/05/08 02:00 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

Some thoughts on this since I live in New Fairfield and by most accounts would theoretically benefit from this program. The fact is no one benefits from the program. I have not supported this effort and have told the CLA this at one of our Ball Pond Advisory Committee meetings they attended recently. The sticker program will bleed to every other lake in Ct. and within a year or so you will have to pay to use any of the other popular lakes.
This attitude of restrictiveness started with the state boat launch issue on Lake Waramaug where the DEP did the deal with the Town of Washington. That was politically motivated. Anyone get to launch their boat yet? Of course not, the idea is to drag this out ten years and then let a couple of boats a day launch that is why I fought this hard going all the way to the Governor and the Attorney General. Then Bantam Lake closed their "public" launch and tried the same thing. Now the sticker program for Candlewood. Within five years there will be no public lakes access, it will all be restricted, expensive and logistically prohibitive.
To answer some questions, the CLA is hard to define. Its board consists of a couple of appointed members from each of the five towns that surround Candlewood. It has a paid Director, a patrol, headquarters up in Sherman and does other public oriented programs such as environmental education and lake cleanups. It is a good organization with good intentions and is funded by the towns from each town budget. I have never viewed New Fairfield's contribution as onerous or debilitating to our town budget.
That said, you can understand why five towns balk at funding the CLA when it is a northeastern resource used by the peoples of many states. Add to that the Squantz Pond fiasco that the town of New Fairfield has to deal with every summer which uses our town's police, fire, and rescue resources and you can understand that this cost recovery issue is somewhat more than the exclusive restrictiveness of something like Lake Waramaug which was nothing more than keeping you and me off "their" lake.
So in many respects Candlewood is different but this sticker program is also more draconian to a much larger user base than a Lake Waramaug problem where few got to use the lake anyway. How other groups like TU support this I don't know. Usually it has to do with whose ox is gored. TU members are more involved with river issues but I am sure there are plenty of versatile sportsmen in the TU chapters who see the danger of this precedent.
The best way to stop this initiative is by getting legislative representatives from other parts of the state to vote NO when the bill comes up. That is how the Lake Housatonic initiative was defeated. The DEP got their friends in the legislature from other sections of the state to vote NO. Tell your state rep that this will cost you more money, restrict your access to Ct's "state lake", will cause more crowding on your local lakes and sets a terrible precedent of exclusionary use and you want them to vote NO. Tell them that the CLA funding issue (which is what this is all about) should be addressed by the state through the DEP. No one in his/her district will be calling to say they like the idea. This is truly a regional issue, the YES votes and support is in five towns, thats it. There are dozens of other towns and state reps who do not benefit and there will be no support expressed in those towns or to those state reps so any NO initiatives to those town governments and state reps and senators will be the only voices they will hear and you have a good chance to get them to vote this initiative down.
The bottom line, the sticker program has local Candlewood Lake support in five towns and if it is defeated it will be by the rest of the state. It is not guys like me here in New Fairfield who will carry the day because I have already fought this battle for two years behind the scenes and lost. It is guys like you in Niantic and Hartford and Caanan and Westport and Middletown and Hebron and wherever else you live in this state outside of the Candlewood Lake area who will win this battle. That is how this will be stopped so contact your Selectmen's Office and your state rep and senator and tell them to vote NO because Candlewood is a state resource and should have free and easy access but the CLA also needs a funding plan to relieve the five towns, that is the only fair way, have a financial support plan that is state funded. That way we all benefit from this great resource equally and we all pay equally indirectly through state tax allocations to the DEP for CLA funding.
Page 12 of 28 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics