Hop to:
#427311 - 01/22/07 01:31 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
CWood Man Online   content

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
 Quote:
Originally posted by mytriton186:
$$$ from the EVIL non-residents.
1st of that is far from what we consider non-residents. I love it how alot of people get so defensive. My point was, yes we see the lake all year but I far from live in a mantion. We pay alot higher taxes by my own choice, agreed. As Chris Med said I think they should just man the ramps better and charge a yearly fee or per usage fee. As far as supporting local buisnesses, yes the deli will sell a few more sandwiches and ice so that is great for them, it's just that does nothing to help conserve the lake or generate money to help patrol it. My point is that the towns carry all that expense and if they would just charge a normal fee, like in Norwalk at the launch by fisherman's world, that would help. I never turned this into a us versus them deal so stop trying too and getting so defensive. This is a debate that comes up at least 2-3 times a year on here and it always has some good and valid points. Everyone has there own opinion but again there is no need to get so defensive. It's great that this lake does have so much access to out of towners it's just that they should regulate it better.

Are there some residents that would wnat to make it more private? Sure there is but my whole point is to generate some money to help preserve the lake and make it safer with more officers out there.

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
Fishing Info
#427312 - 01/22/07 01:41 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Loc: Danbury CT
I LOVE it. \:D

they should make it as expensive as possible.
$200 a season would cut down the over crowding problem.

Quote:
the two state launches, three if you count Squantz Pond which is part of Candlewood, also charge after 8am or so.
Ive NEVER been charged at lattins.
as a matter of fact they tore down the guard shack.
the only person ive seen there is the boat inspection guy.
#427313 - 01/22/07 02:08 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
mattmann7 Offline

Loc: wethersfield ct
can you spell south carolina. all the more reason i now have a five year plan to get out of dodge. all this sticker stuff for a short season. my boat already has a sticker. so does my trailer. so does my truck. so does my drivers liscense. so does my safe boating permit. so does my fishing liscense. so does my tournament application. so does the fee i payed to park. if its truly a safety concern lower the speed limit. obviously no one on the lake is going to have to sell their house to come up with the 100 dollar a year levy. so the issue isnt money. i agree with buck the beaurocracy needs food. only a fool would think you can increase the usage on the lake every year at the current pace for nothing. this sounds like an end run to keep the guys out who dont use the lake on a regular basis. the cla isnt interested in generating more usage. they want to curtail the level to appease the lakes residents. i dont blame them. if i lived on candy id be annoyed if i had to worry about when was the safest time to take my kids for a boat ride. if they need to hire more patrols i think there should be a town sticker for residents.(common sense says they are likely to use the water the most) a usage fee collected at the gate. a higher fee for out of state users.(rhode island beaches already do this)a fee collected with a tournament application. each fee would be equitable to the ammount of use. if john q wants to use the lake it should be at a reasonable fee. one days use for one days fee. definitly keep the collected fees away from the general fund. my 2 cents worth
#427314 - 01/22/07 02:30 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Buck Offline

If Lattins Cove doesn't charge then that should be fixed. These are easy fixes to make. And if they had some income maybe they would be willing to make some improvements at Lattins Cove so people would have an easier time using the facility. Maybe also some of your local officials in Danbury, like state rep Godfrey, would stop passing laws prohibiting the improvements to Lattins Cove by the DEP. Lattins Cove is a classic example of a public facility that is ignored and abused because local officials and residents make such a stink over it. Maybe if they charged money to use the facility it would actually reduce the usage because it would eliminate those who do not want to pay.
Lattins Cove is a perfect example of mismanagement and why it needs to be fixed before I am willing to pay another fee to use a lake in this state.
Csimone, as a guy who fishes multiple lakes a year you should be the last guy to want a $200 fee to use Candlewood. This will bleed, I guarantee it. Fix the Lattins problem and collect at all state ramps with some kind of program and then everyone using the lake is paying their share in some form or another.
#427315 - 01/22/07 02:42 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Quote:
Csimone, as a guy who fishes multiple lakes a year you should be the last guy to want a $200 fee to use Candlewood.
other than cwood, I fish lilli and squants.
3 trips on lilli and maybe 10 on squants this year.
I DONT travel to far to fish.
I love "my" lake, and see no reason to go anywhere else.
the only reason i go to squants or lilli, is to target pike, or walleye.
#427316 - 01/22/07 03:00 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Steve31 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CWood Man:
 Quote:
Originally posted by mytriton186:
$$$ from the EVIL non-residents.
1st of that is far from what we consider non-residents. I love it how alot of people get so defensive. My point was, yes we see the lake all year but I far from live in a mantion. We pay alot higher taxes by my own choice, agreed. As Chris Med said I think they should just man the ramps better and charge a yearly fee or per usage fee. As far as supporting local buisnesses, yes the deli will sell a few more sandwiches and ice so that is great for them, it's just that does nothing to help conserve the lake or generate money to help patrol it. My point is that the towns carry all that expense and if they would just charge a normal fee, like in Norwalk at the launch by fisherman's world, that would help. I never turned this into a us versus them deal so stop trying too and getting so defensive. This is a debate that comes up at least 2-3 times a year on here and it always has some good and valid points. Everyone has there own opinion but again there is no need to get so defensive. It's great that this lake does have so much access to out of towners it's just that they should regulate it better.

Are there some residents that would wnat to make it more private? Sure there is but my whole point is to generate some money to help preserve the lake and make it safer with more officers out there.
CWoodMan I totally agree with you. Some people are missing the point the fees are for conservation officers and other programs and non residents should have to pay a fee as well as residents.In peak seasonal times yes non resdients do support the local ecomony but it does not go to the conservation programs.Personally I would rather pay a fee as a guest to a lake or what ever to monitor bodies of water and forests to keep them up to paar. It seems to me people want everything for free push cost on someone else but conservation and keeping our waters/parks clean and safe has a fee that we all should invest in.
#427317 - 01/22/07 03:09 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Buck Offline

Ok, so you are looking out "for your interests". I guess that is fair and why we all have opinions. I fish a lot of different lakes so "my interests" are geared more towards reasonable access for everyone.
Maybe you recall my efforts regarding Lake Waramaug access at the state park and the launch issue. I spent a lot of time on that issue including interlocking with Governor Rell and Attorney General Blumenthal and I don't normally fish there. My opinion is we need to protect each other's interests.
Speaking of "interests", I find it interesting that no one involved in the issue such as the towns, the DEP, the Ad Hoc stakeholders groups etc, give anything more than lip service to the owners of the lake. When CL&P/NE Utilities owned the lake and their management was a bunch of politically correct beaurocratic functionaries who genuflected left and right to every vocal special interest group there were always these proposals on how to control the lake. Only with the FERQ relicensing did the shore line management plan require formalizing. But the owners now are a private equity company. They are strictly bottom line and don't care who they piss off. If they get sued directly that is the same as suing your neighbor, there is no transparency since in private equity there is direct ownership not some public company veil of protection. They get sued over stickers and there will either be no stickers or no one boating on that lake. Remember the 440 line. This is not some obscure concept rivaling the Black Hole Theory in understanding. The new private equity owners own to the 440 line. It is the Golden Rule; they hold the gold and they make the rules. So if they get pushed they simply say get the #### off my land. And they could get sued by anyone, maybe a bass club in NJ where they are headquartered.
People don't think through these issues. It is always what is in my best interest, screw anything else.
#427318 - 01/22/07 03:12 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
CWood Man Online   content

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Bravo Steve!!!!!!! My point isn't to keep people away, just charge like others do thru launching fees, and if not that way then the proposed article may be an option. This is far from a sure thing that it would happen in the near future. This has been proposed before and it never went anywhere. Again more and more usage every year yet there aren't any changes in regulation, conservation or an increase in patrols. This is far from an attack on out of towners just a major concern for the well being of the lake.
As a lake resident we went to a few meetings to stop the huge condo complex that went up in Danbury. To me these are the things that are major concerns. The more construction on the lake means the more people and disruption of the waterfront property. I know it's a totally different concern that ramp fees but again the usage is getting larger, more shoreline residents yet not one single thing to regulate the lake. The only thing the new owners are proposing are more fees to the existing residents who have existing dwellings!

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#427319 - 01/22/07 03:14 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Ragtopman Offline

Loc: Wallingford, Moultonborough NH
If the fee paid was for conservation and safety stuff I would have to agree. A fee of like $3 for a day would be reasonable if it went directly to the lake and not the states general fund. Sending money to the state is a joke and they already get a nice cut through licenses, registrations, and every other place they could bleed it from you

Genuine adventure isn't available mail order. It isn't delivered to your door like pizza. You have to apply imagination and actively seek the extraordinary if you want great barroom stories
Almost everyone has a golden recollection in their past, from which they draw to refuel life in the present. Very often, those memories are the product of instinctive initiative and some stretch of their imagination- a few moments in their life when they chose to believe in the impossible.
~ Kansas Stamps
#427320 - 01/22/07 03:26 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Quote:
It would also have to specify the money raised by the stickers would be routed to the Candlewood Lake Authority's budget, not the state's General Fund.
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics