ctfisherman.com logo
Page 25 of 28 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#928857 - 03/13/08 01:15 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Jim&Sylvia]
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
In the political world, you need to remember one VERY important item. No Bill is dead until the Legaslative session ends.

This Bill may go away in it's current form, but we need to stay vigilante, as it can come up again in another form or as an amendment.

The real shame of this situation is, for multiple reasons, the DEP has failed to do their job. We all know they do a good job with what they have to work with ,but this is the type of thing that can result from their inaction. Lattins is a public safety hazard! The DEP has even said so themselves but yet nothing has been done in the name of public safety except for mandatory boat inspections before you launch. (which is a pain but not a bad thing)

Just keep an eye open for this Bill to pop up again under another name.
Fishing Info
#928860 - 03/13/08 01:37 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Jon Pski]
BigLee Offline

Loc: New Milford CT
Did Anyone go to the Hartford Meeting and Speak before the Committee?

Have a safe time on the water and may that tight line be pulling back.

A member of Schaghticoke Bassmasters
http://members.tripod.com/~bassmasters_ct/index.html
A member of the TBF. The Bass Federation Tournament Bass Fishing for everyone.
http://www.ct-tbf.com/
#928906 - 03/13/08 10:32 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
CAJUN Offline

I've e mailed my state rep twice without an answer back her name is Mary Mushinsky. I'm not sure how long it usually takes them to respond but I would think a couple of days should be more than enough..If the CLA can start a group for home owners is it possible to start a group for Lake users and have as much power as the CLA?This state sickens me with all its spineless politicians backing down to the wants of a hand full off wealthy A HOLES.This should not even be an issue.I understand that some fisherman may hook docks and ropes and even boats,which is completely wrong. But there is no way a tornament fisherman would take someones furniture off their dock and throw it in the water thats just stupid,unless they wanted to add some structure next to their beer bottles.Somehow we need to get together to go to these meetings to make a stand.There is power in numbers.By just having 10 fishermen show up does'nt help our fight at all.There has got to be thousands of fisherman who use that lake.We are going to loose this one if we don't act on it!!Where are these meetings held and at what time,I'll try like hell to get to the next one and so should eveyone else.It would be great if Mitch could put the dates and times on the front page with the big red letters when and where the meetings are so we can show up.

Have I ever told you I hate the "CLA" !!
#928939 - 03/13/08 12:20 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: CAJUN]
Buck Offline

Lee, I would think the Hartford meeting is where the bass organizations would go to testify. The meetings in New Fairfield and New Milford were for us local folks. Maybe DAS knows.
Cajun, the CLA is a bit different than most lake authorities. The CLA was formed by the five towns versus most lake authorities that are formed by grass roots lake communities with the tacit approval of the local town. So the Candlewood Lake associations like Club A testified to the CLA and the elected officials who created the Bill just like fishermen did. In a way, fishermen are better positioned with the CLA because we are one of the groups they have to listen to whereas most lake authorities are independant and don't have to listen to anyone other than maybe local town officials.
Anyway, thats my take on it.
#928971 - 03/13/08 01:22 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Buck]
BASSMANinCT Offline

BigLee, I'm glad you were there and kept notes.

One thing I saw in the last few comments here was people thinking Lattins is a safety hazard. What exactly do you mean by that? I ask, because there is no record of any injuries or accidents in Lattins Cove, nor any violations.

Yes, we who use it know that it could be better, as in paved, parking spaces drawn, a dock put in there for picking up and boarding, but as far as I'm concerned, there are worse launches out there. I for one, am very careful, friendly and helpful at the launch, because I appreciate what I have, what I own, and expect and want the same in return. So what the launch needs work! It is free! So what my boat is inpected. That is free as well, and assures me I am within the law, and keeping my boat safe!

I have to say, the DEP and the CLA seem to be doing something right out there, to bring the accidents down to 3 or so on average per year. That's a real number everyone! Even with all this traffic, it has been basically safe! Give them some credit where it is due! No one can argue HARD FACTS!

On another note, and as BigLee's post shows, We fisherman and tournament participants are targeted!

Why? Because we are also an organized unit for the most part, and we are in a position where we are observed more easily by authorities: at tournament starts, at weigh ins; we are required to register our events and get permits, we are required to report back to the DEP after our events, and many other visable ways. All keep us in check.
That is why we are targeted. But those same things also prove us historically accountable, and history shows, we have not been a problem or it would make the media the same way this issue has.

And lastly, that same track record of accidents being only 3 a year also proves that they do not need much more funding, so that probably will kill the bill alone.

Edited by BASSMANinCT (03/13/08 01:25 PM)

"A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!"

BASSMANinCT
My Fishing Pics Here: http://facebook.com/CameraManSWAIZE
#929082 - 03/13/08 06:47 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BASSMANinCT]
BigLee Offline

Dam I really missed the boat on this one.

This is a link to the Lake George Boat User Fee, the one that the CLA is supposedly using as their guide line.
I can see no resemblance between the two at all.

http://www.lgpc.state.ny.us/Boat_Registration.html

Jon
You are so right this is not a done deal. It is not a done deal until the legislative session ends. I am so afraid of this being attached to some other bill and being squashed as were the funds to make repairs and improvements to Latin’s Cove.

Quote from news time’s comments section

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/news-times/TU6V3RNOQH88KQ3B6

""I would be curious with 6000 boats docked on candlewood how many of these boaters buy fishing licenses. I thought our license paid for the stocking of such lakes. Why should the dep in turn stock a lake in which the only people who would spend 50 dollars to use the lake are the people who are docked on the lake. I wouldn't pay 50 dollars to use the lake maybe 5 times a year. RETHINK YOUR PLAN. I was also listening in on a CLA officer last year, who I overheard say to another it's time to go and harass the bass fishermen. something needs to be done!"" END QUOTE

I don't know of any more public meetings on this issue. I think the best way to influence this now is to physically write a letter.
Write it out on your computer and use spell check and grammar check.

Once you have a letter you are satisfied with then send it out to your representatives, the head of DEP, the environmental committee chairs and The Governor.

Guys the hand written letter caries more weight than any other method of communication except a direct conversation and I'm sorry if it is more work but that is a fact. Club A asked what they should do to further influence The legilators and the response was letters. Emails are to easy make them have to open up a letter and read it. A written letter will get a written response from your local reprsentative.

Edited by BigLee (03/13/08 06:49 PM)

#929207 - 03/14/08 12:12 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
BigLee Offline

Bassman
Latins was scheduled for a major renovationback in the early 90's. The funds were held in limbo by state representative Mr. Maloney. He attached the non use or freezing of the funds to a bill that was for unemployment benefit extensions.
The ramp is way to shallow, the sides drop off and the parking lot is full of ruts from erosion. It was supposed to have been widened and have a dock along side each ramp. Plus it was supposed to have handicapped access.

#929215 - 03/14/08 12:25 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
BigLee Offline

Here is a list of Players of the Environmental committee.
These are the people that need to be contacted

ENVIRONMENT

SENATORS MEYER, (Chair), 12th; District; MAYNARD (Vice Chair) 18th. : DEFRONZO, 6th

SENATOR MCKINNEY, (Ranking Member), 28th District; DEBICELLA, 21st.

REPRESENTATIVES ROY, (Chair), 119th District; DAVIS, (Vice Chair), 117th; BACKER, 121st; BYE, 19th; CHRISTIANO, 134th; HENNESSY, 127th; HURLBURT, 53rd; JUTILA, 37th; MEGNA, 97th; MOUKAWSHER, 40th; MUSHINSKY, 85th; O'ROURKE, 32nd; PERONE, 137th; SPALLONE, 36th; URBAN, 43rd; WILBER, 63rd; WILLIS, 64th; WRIGHT, 41st.

REPRESENTATIVES CHAPIN, (Ranking Member), 67th District; GREENE, 105th; KALINOWSKI, 100th; MILLER, 122nd; MINER, 66th; PERILLO, 113th; PISCOPO, 76th.

Clerk: Jason Bowsza

Room 3200, LOB 860-240-0440

#929216 - 03/14/08 12:28 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: BigLee]
BigLee Offline

Environment Committee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The committee on the ENVIRONMENT shall have cognizance of all matters relating to the Department of Environmental Protection, including conservation, recreation, pollution control, fisheries and game, state parks and forests, water resources and flood and erosion control; and all matters relating to the Department of Agriculture, including farming, dairy products and domestic animals.

Contact the Committee
For the Record

Committee Membership

Mailing Address:
Environment Committee
Room 3200, Legislative Office Building
Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: 860-240-0440

Bill Record Book
Bills Reported Out of Committee
Committee Meeting Agendas
Committee Meeting Minutes
Joint Favorable (JF) Reports
Public Hearing Agendas
Public Hearing Transcripts
Vote Tally Sheets

Archives

present status http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/...11&SUBMIT1.y=11

Edited by BigLee (03/14/08 12:50 AM)

#929240 - 03/14/08 01:42 AM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: Buck]
DAS Offline

Originally Posted By: Buck
Lee, I would think the Hartford meeting is where the bass organizations would go to testify. The meetings in New Fairfield and New Milford were for us local folks. Maybe DAS knows.

I was unable to attend the hearing on Monday, but I did submit a letter to the Co-Chairs. I was able to attended the FAC meeting tonight. Bob Crook (lobbyist of the Coalition of CT Sportsmen) was one of the lucky ones to give testimony in opposition of the bill, as there was well over 200 people wanting to speak on behalf of the many bills on the agenda. There was a lottery in which if you were lucky enough, you got to pick a number then wait until your number was called to speak before the committee. He believes this bill will die in committee. Good news is, there are other groups officially opposed. They are the Connecticut Marine Trade Association (CMTA), the Connecticut Legislative Sportmen's Caucus, and the Fishery Advisory Council. I'm sure there are others.

Edit - Bob Crook also told us that State Rep Craig Minor ask some TOUGH direct questions of the CLA Reps and the 1st Selectmen of the towns surrounding Candlewood that were giving testimony in favor of the Bill.

Edited by DAS (03/14/08 01:58 AM)

David Santos
Environmental Director
CT B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
www.ctbass.com
Page 25 of 28 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics