ctfisherman.com logo
Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#427331 - 01/23/07 01:47 AM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
BigLee Offline

Loc: New Milford CT
The CLA does not want to address the real number of moored boats because then all the money that they get from private donations would drop. The people that want to privatise the lake want the low life fisherman off the lake. They need a scapegoat. Sorry if that is offensive to anyone but I had attended more meetings per year than many of the board members, and time and time again I would hear the complaints of all the Bass Boats out there. Yet those that were complaining would not listen to the real numbers. If it was the other way around and a holiday weekend had 2000 active Bass fisherman out there and 100 Locals I would be the first one to complain. As it is If I want to go fishing Durring the 4th of July weekend I have To Fight With the Guard because there is no parking. I have to explain about 3 times that I am going to launch the boat and put the trailer in My Driveway 200 ft from his shed. Not much different than parking at the back of the lot. It might even be closer

Have a safe time on the water and may that tight line be pulling back.

A member of Schaghticoke Bassmasters
http://members.tripod.com/~bassmasters_ct/index.html
A member of the TBF. The Bass Federation Tournament Bass Fishing for everyone.
http://www.ct-tbf.com/
Fishing Info
#427332 - 01/23/07 02:28 AM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Go BAMA Offline

Well said Lee! I could also deal w/ a ramp fee...as long as some of the $$ goes back into the ramp/facilities AND the patrols don't JUST target bass boats. (Any other reasons for them to be out there at 6:30 AM and not to be found until after 2? Why they can find a bass boat fishing next to the shore w/o running lights on but can't find the Donzi leaving DTH @ closing ripping down the lake w/ dual headers AND no lights?)

http://tournamentforce.com/
Experience the Tournament Force Difference Today !!!
#427333 - 01/23/07 09:29 AM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
csimone Offline
lastt call before fall

Loc: Danbury CT
originally posted by GoBama
 Quote:
Why they can find a bass boat fishing next to the shore w/o running lights on but can't find the Donzi leaving DTH @ closing ripping down the lake w/ dual headers AND no lights?)
thats Hilarious.
so true.
#427334 - 01/23/07 09:31 AM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
orviskid Offline

csimone said it best, charge $200 and that will keep plenty of people away. there are plenty of lakes that have limited access. candlewood shouldn't be any different.thats the biggest lake in the state, if its over crowded, change the way things are done.
#427335 - 01/23/07 02:09 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
The patrols DO NOT just target bass boats. I live in Echo bay and they sit outside the Hatch constantly and pull people over leaving the hatch. I was out one noght from 5-10pm on my Crownline fishing and I got checked twice, not because I was fishing but because I have a loud boat so I am sorry but I disagree with that, they don't "target" bass boats.

As far as the mooring issue, I am all for regulating dock owners. I personally called the CLA when I found out a homeowner has a dock and added 4 more slips that he rented out, which is illegal. They still haven't done a thing! I am actually the Dock person in my community. We have 43 members and a 12 dock slips, which was approved over 20 years ago. We now have a waiting list and I get pressure to look into applying to add another section of docks. I just won't even look into it because I feel so strong about the lake and that it is way to populated as it is.

Sometimes it does turn into an us versus them thing as far as residents and non residents but the numbers don't lie. There are more recreational boats launching, more bass tourneys thean ever and more moored boats then ever. There has to be something done to regulate it across the board because the well being of the lake will not be able to take it.

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#427336 - 01/23/07 03:52 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Keith G Offline

Loc: Suffield, CT
I don't fish CWood, but IMHO launching fees for all would be a good start. Every boat that goes in pays a launch fee. Period. Lower rate for CT residents, out of staters charged more. Make season passes, could be stickers or whatever, available in the same manner of pricing. One fee covers the seasons launching. FWIW I think the state is doing itself a disservice to all of us by not maning some of it's busy launches and collecting launch fees. There are high traffic lakes like Highland and others that only man the launches during peak season and for set hours. People know this and if they want to fish or boat there, they just wait them out if they do not want to pay. These fees could pay for manning and contribute to maintaining launches. The one stipulation would be that it needs to go into it's own fund!!!! No more General Fund nonsense!!!

I might be incorrect but I am never wrong!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!
#427337 - 01/23/07 06:55 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Mitch P. Offline

Here is comment from CT DEP:

Quote:
A series of four meetings were held in 2003 to discuss fishing, boating and law enforcement issues at Candlewood Lake. Representatives from the Fisheries Advisory Council, CT BASS Federation and Trout Unlimited were among those attending these meetings. A boat sticker was one of the options that was discussed as a potential mechanism for generating funds for additional law enforcement.

This approach has been successfully used at other large lakes such as Lake George in New York State. Anglers in attendance at the 2003 meetings did voice concerns that a sticker program at Candlewood might spread to other CT waters. However, the general feeling was that the additional costs associated with local administration were too high to be cost effective for a smaller lake.

Costs are significant because the stickers need to be (1) reasonably priced, (2) equitable among all users, (3) unrestricted in number, and (4) readily available over the internet and through local venders and municipal offices. Equitable among all users meant that shoreline residents and state launch users were to pay the exact same price. Anglers who attended these meetings were willing to support the concept of a sticker program pending discussion of the details. At the time, the Candlewood Lake Authority did not feel they were prepared to endorse this approach. Ultimately, DEP was able to increase both monitoring at the launch areas and Law Enforcement on the lake and were able to address many of the concerns. As a result, the boat sticker option was not pursued further in 2003.
#427338 - 01/23/07 07:25 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
I don't understand why the state does not take fee's at Latins cove.

If the state wants to generate revenue they can follow New Milfords lead and price the launch High. It costs $140 bucks to launch at New Milford town park..

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#427339 - 01/24/07 01:15 AM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
SeaBassKit Offline

Loc: Mystic CT
Unreal!! I always thought that Nobody owned the water, either fresh or salt (Probably a false concept these days). Those lucky folks who have managed to purchase a boat and pay taxes for them (Sales, Property, fuel, registration, etc.) pay for the right to be on that water. While I would prefer that those fees and taxes would support the enforcement and regulation of use, I don't pretend to think that is the case. Private marinas can charge what they want for launch fees, (Too much ?, Go elsewhere!), and if the launch is State-owned, same rule applies. Many of the replies here refer to the concept of the use-sticker "Bleeding over" to other bodies of water, and that is scarey. The real scarey concept is that if this thought process continues to develop, some day soon you won't be able to get your weekly groceries because you don't have the proper 'sticker' to park in the lot a Wal-Mart. Folks who live on the shore are facing incredible tax increases because they can see the water, and their taxes pay for local Law Enforcment and USCG support from Homeland Security, and I sincerely hope that this insane concept of stickers take hold there, or a sticker will needed by the Navy to take a sub to sea. I know this simplistic and extreme, and agree that everyone pays taxes for these services; I'm just stating that it seems that the gap between those that that have a lot and those that just want ot share is really getting out of hand Just everyone ease up a bit and let's all enjoy.
#427340 - 01/24/07 01:41 AM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood
NOTGSXR Offline

Loc: Danbury
 Quote:
Originally posted by csimone:
 Quote:
Why they can find a bass boat fishing next to the shore w/o running lights on but can't find the Donzi leaving DTH @ closing ripping down the lake w/ dual headers AND no lights?)
thats Hilarious.
so true.
I've seen it more than once..... not to mention 2 offshore racers going from Latins all the way down the Danbury arm........ turning around and flying back..... Open headers sending echos through the whole valley...... not even slowing down by the house on the island...... going minimum 70+......... probably just got in from the sound and wanted to clean out their boats......... nice

Dan
Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics