Page 18 of 25 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1218184 - 06/03/10 12:11 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: RedfishCT]
chris med Offline

No REDTIDE IN PANAMA

Loc: East Lyme
oh believe me I'm not getting into a pissing matchgrin and didn't take it that way,.........I'm with you on the whole friggin mess,...sickening.....and Like i've said,...they can put a man on the moon but they can't stop this??????? Seems awfully fuked up,..and is truely,.......awfully sad.....I think about them every morning I wake up.......

NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE,..DESTROYING FISHERMAN AND THEIR FAMILIES SINCE 1978.........
www.ocearch.org

www.theriverguide.com

TEAM SERIOUSFISHING
TEAM RUMSWIZLER
TEAM RED NECK CAMPER TOURS
TEAM "NO GUN ZONE" facepalm
TEAM PANAMA
TEAM GEPSIKCEHEHTEREHW
TEAM Swizzle

www.joinrfa.com
Contact Capt Mike Marro
Bluefin Charters, Clinton Ct. 203-245-7742
www.bluefincharters.com
As if the colassal middle finger hasn't been jammed up our asses far enough, the NMFS and ASMFC carry on with their daily masterpieces of saving species in peril..........We as recreational anglers serve thanks for all the fine "work"sick you do........
Fishin Factory III
Middletown Ct
860-344-9139
www.fishinfactory3.com
www.jigheadlures.com
www.castlebaits.com

Fishing Info
#1218193 - 06/03/10 12:28 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: RedfishCT]
Bruiser360 Offline

Loc: New Milford
Bp began drillinga relief well not too long ago.
If a relief well was the only viable solution to the problem why would BP have begun drilling one at the beginning of this while simultaneously trying other approaches?

Canada requires relief wells for drilling. BP, as recently as March, protested this regulation there as being an unnecessary aversion to a situtation similar to what we are currently seeing. The reasoning was that all of the safety systems on the rigs should be adequate enough to prevent this type of thing. The overlooked part of this is the human error factor.
#1218203 - 06/03/10 01:13 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: Bruiser360]
jonh Offline

FUBO

WFN has a web page dedicated to the spill

http://www.wfn.tv/news/oil-spill/

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#1218231 - 06/03/10 02:16 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: jonh]
Lead Head Offline

Sorry to get off topic here (or the topic you guys changed it to)............... ANYONE HEAR HOW HOOP IS DOING??????
#1218237 - 06/03/10 02:27 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: RedfishCT]
Buck Offline

C'mon M.C., working on oil and gas wells gives you a view that no one else has and helps answer questions on this thread. Dropping off of the topic doesn't help. People are interested in what you have to say.
#1218249 - 06/03/10 02:53 PM Oil rig explosion [Re: Lead Head]
RedfishCT Offline

Originally Posted By: Lead Head
Sorry to get off topic here (or the topic you guys changed it to)............... ANYONE HEAR HOW HOOP IS DOING??????

On the first page of this thread the topic is "Oil rig explosion"
Started by Hoop. Where is it going off subject?
#1218419 - 06/04/10 12:38 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: RedfishCT]
M.C. Niantic Offline

Sorry Buck, I'm frustrated by this mess. My first thoughts were those guys missing are dead, no doubt about it, then I can't believe they lost the whole rig.After that I can't believe they had no good backup plan to stop the flow. Nobodys talking about what happened to cause this because of liability.Even when they do there will be some spin on it. Basically blowouts are caused by not controling the pressure of the gas you drilled into. This is done by the drilling fluid (mud) that contains ground up barite to make it heavy.This wt, is varied to meet the demands. Last resort is the blowout preventor which will seal off the casing even with the drilling pipe still in the hole. This certainly isn't the first time one has failed. The first line of defense against a blowout is to anticipate a possible gas reservoir be fore you hit it.This was one of my jobs.I would draw the charts of the rock strata and plot the gas if any. This data came from the rock chips pumped back up and sepparated from the drilling mud as well as gas samples from the same mud run through a gas chromatigraph. This would show all the different gases. I would also plot the specific gravity of the shale which normaly increases with depth. If youre near gas the sp. gr. starts a reverse trend showing its getting lighter and more porous. The gas ppm will start to go off the charts and its time to weight up the mud. If you don't the fluid starts rising at the drilling floor and things get a little hairy. Sometimes a blowout is triggered when you pull the entire drill string to change the drill bit if you don't keep the hole completly full.Nobody wants a blowout, the pressure can push the drill pipe out of the hole and smash into the top of the derrick and its not long before the big diesel engines set the gas on fire. Nobody wants to die and nobody wants to loose many millions of dollars in equipment. This is what I did in the mid 70's.People will never look at drilling the same after this. As for the future of enery, thats another topic. I think we need a miracle there. Oh yeah, that top shot to me was just a pr stunt.I didn't think it had a chance of working, wish I was wrong.Also I think I heard this well was completed and they lost control trying to cap it, not sure.

Edited by M.C. Niantic (06/04/10 12:42 AM)

"It's too big, let it go"
#1218420 - 06/04/10 12:48 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: M.C. Niantic]
RedfishCT Offline

Thank you for your incite M.C.
#1218421 - 06/04/10 12:51 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: John from Madison CT]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: John from Madison CT
I'm all for Nuclear. It's my #1 choice, however, nobody will allow one to be built near them.

Are we all in agreement that Nuclear is the way to go?

we agree in full, John.
#1218443 - 06/04/10 02:33 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: O-BASS]
Buck Offline

M.C., thanks, that is the first time I have heard an explanation of what went wrong. I did not know whether it was a blowout or a failure in the rig or super structure. Nothing was ever explained.
I am still astonished that there is nothing to cap a well with after a disaster like this. You would think there would be some kind of concerete dome or something that would cut off the flow immediately.
That could potentially cap the blowout and save lives.
How can a design like the one BP used here get passed by the Interior Department who signs off on the technology? What should the technology be to cap a blowout?
Page 18 of 25 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics