ctfisherman.com logo
Page 5 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1208911 - 05/05/10 06:16 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
FCJoe Offline

Found this over at TheBassBarn: Bluefin Spawning Grounds Under the species tab select Bluefin and under the Lifestage select Spawn. We knew that they spawn there but seeing it in graphical form really makes it sink in. It's going to be decades before we see the total impact of this thing.

The drilling in the Gulf can have a 99.99% safety record but all it takes is that one problem and you have a complete disaster.

You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend - those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
Fishing Info
#1209665 - 05/07/10 10:10 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: FCJoe]
swwind Offline

Keep your fingers crossed - today and the next 4 or 5 days are HUGE. If the containment tower works and contains >80% that will be an incredible difference, it could make all the differece.

If it does not work - I dread the potential long term implications.

CNN has some good video's and animations of how it is intenden to work.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/07/gulf.oil.spill/index.html

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1209783 - 05/07/10 05:21 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
swwind Offline

Fishing ban expanded & Breton National Wildlife Refuge closed

Updated area of fishing ban

The begining of the landfall nightmare ! banghead

Breton National Wildlife Refuge Closed to Public Entry
LOUISIANA -- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) has closed the Breton National Wildlife Refuge to public entry. This closure covers all of Breton NWR, which includes the Chandeleur Islands chain (Chandeleur, Grand Gossier, Curlew, New Harbor Island, North Islands, Free Mason).

The refuge closure is important to keep the public safe, to minimize disturbance to nesting colonial sea birds, and to allow personnel conducting cleanup operations and recovery efforts to work safely and efficiently.

The first shoreline impact of oil from the spill was confirmed late Wednesday afternoon at Breton, with oil on both sides of the southern half of the Chandeleur Islands. Overflight information indicated sheen and emulsified oil were observed around the islands.

Service personnel and oil response teams have been deployed to conduct and manage cleanup operations. Recoverable oil will be removed, impacted areas cleaned and protection efforts continued.

Another press release will be issued when cleanup operations are completed frown2 and the refuge is re-opened. rolleyes

Except for the 11 lost men - now the real damage starts. Now that the oil is making landfall in these amazing wetlands the really unfortunate and serious ecological damage starts to set in. So sad.

Edited by swwind (05/07/10 06:15 PM)

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1209795 - 05/07/10 06:34 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
Avid Offline

Loc: Niantic, CT
This whole stituation is just horrible! frown2
#1210293 - 05/09/10 04:05 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Avid]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
I'm still here and still fishing. It has been nuts down here. I will post something tomorrow if I get a chance. I have almost 80 e-mails to catch up on. Most of them are from the authoritys about the things going on. Some days there is a large area closed and then the wind changes and the fishing opens up again offshore. The inshore fishery is being hit bad. The news media is killing our business.

Hope to get something up on this site in a day or 2. I am doing O.K.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1210298 - 05/09/10 08:52 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
MarkO Offline

Thanks for the update CAPT.

Don't doubt in the dark what you learned in the light.
#1210305 - 05/09/10 10:05 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: MarkO]
Bruiser360 Offline

Loc: New Milford
Hope things are going better than they are being portrayed in the media. Stay up Capt.

Edited by Bruiser360 (05/09/10 09:38 PM)
#1210315 - 05/09/10 10:50 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Bruiser360]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
One of my buddies who I fish with and post here who just joined CTF (Chris/"cgraves") is in the environmental business (owns his own company)and has worked on other oil spills before (Maryland).

He has been in touch with the large cleanup companies servicing this Gulf spill. There's quite an effort going on.

Plans change daily on where they want him.....on land in Alabama control center, out at sea on a skimmer boat, ...but as of yesterday they want Chris in Tampa, FL to help run their decontamination operations.

With the winds and tides they expect the oil spill to hit the Florida Gulf coast......the decon will also include deconning boats contaminated with the oil.

It is quite a spill. I wonder what the short and long term effacts will be.

#1210357 - 05/09/10 12:59 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Don P]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

The short term is ugly. The long term is a "BIG QUESTION?????" I am going to put up a seperate post on this and include my fishing report.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1210381 - 05/09/10 02:38 PM Spill update and fishing report
CAPT. HOOP Offline

WE ARE FISHING!!!!!

The spill has shut down shrimping, oysters, the pogy (menhaden)plant, crabbing, and our general day to day living. Our offshore and inshore fishing is NOT shut down just closed in some areas.

The dominant winds are from the east down here as yours is from the west in the north east. This and the eddy from the Mississippi has been holding a lot of it in the pocket caused by the finger of land and the pocket formed along Alabama, Mississippi, and the panhandle of Florida. The cleanup Effort is massive. They have an armada of shrimp, mullet, crab, jackups, air boats and many other types of boats all manned by locals working around the clock to stop it fron getting into our bayou (marshes). My boats are not desired because of the oil being hard to clean off the white fiberglass.

I am not involved in the spill because I have been fishing. The East side is closed. This leaves us the south and west to fish and we have a lot of area to still fish. I can not see the entire gulf being closed any time soon. I lost my camera so untill I get into the city I will have no pictures.

We did an overnighter and had a little trouble finding the yellowfin. The blackfin were in good numbers but not as heavy as in previous years. The Yellowfin have been shutting down at night as they did last year also. We did manage a few yellows in the 40-50 pound range and a good bunch of blackfin. On the way in we stopped and got some nice amberjack to 60 pounds to add to our box.

2 interest things happened.

(1) We caught a swordfish on a diamond jig. It was only a pup and went back after a quick picture. What a surprise that was to see a bill coming at us. You never know in these waters.

(2) About 4 in the afternoon, over fifty miles offshore, a cormerant swam to our boat and came aboard. First thought was oiled bird or sick bird. The cormerant was smaller than standard and it was more brown than black. As I was taking in a live bait to make a move he ripped it off the hook and devowered it. He stayed with us all night and the next day all the way to the dock. I gave him 2 more fish during that time. Because of the oil spill we have an audabond (SP) wildlife set up at Fort Jackson. They came and got the bird. On the way home I stopped and they told me that the bird was lost and starving. It is not from here. It is not found north of Brownsville, Texas. I will spend a night or two in the vet clinic and most likely end up in the audabond (SP) zoo here in New Orleans. By the end of the second day the bird was domesticated and he came right up to us. It also got very comfortable on the boat. I know will go there because it may not survive in the wild again.

Yesterday we ran in a different direction due to the closed area. The seas drove us to the edge of the closed area as we found out the place we wanted to fish was not closed so we went there. We got there late. The bait was hard to get but the boats already there had a few yellowfin. The bite was slow. The fish were busting but not hitting topwater baits. We lost 2 on chunks and got one. Late in the day the blackfin and bonito came up. This provided us with some good topwater action. As we were drifting and casting I ran a live bait out and it was hit. It wound up being our best yellow of the day. Nothing big but a 50-60 class fish is always welcome.

We are still fishing. I am looking forward to red snapper season opening. Unfortunatly the place I Want to fish may still be closed but that is too far down the line. The open water places change as the wind blows so we will see. The marsh (Bayou) is the disaster that can break this whole parish.

Life is Good!

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Page 5 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics