ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1188575 - 03/02/10 02:51 PM License suspension
EnCon Police Offline

There have been a number of people indicating that they are not going to purchase licenses and take their chances at either not getting caught or beating the violation in court.

Just to give you a heads up, there is more to it than that. If you are convicted or pay a fine for a hunting, fishing or trapping violation, your license will be suspended. So, you will be taking a chance of not only paying a fine but also facing a suspension.

Here's the statute for any of you who are interested.

Sec. 26-61. Suspension of license, registration or permit. Restoration. Fines. (a) Upon the complaint of any person concerning an alleged violation of any provision of this chapter, any regulation issued by the commissioner or any regulation issued by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service under the provisions of section 26-91 or any of the provisions of section 53-204, 53-205, 53a-109, 53a-115, 53a-116 or 53a-117, the commissioner may suspend, after notice and hearing in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54, with respect to the person who is the subject of the complaint, any license, registration or permit issued pursuant to this chapter to such person or such person's right to obtain any such license, registration or permit for not more than one year, and such license, registration or permit, together with the flag or other insignia issued by the commissioner, shall be surrendered to the commissioner or his authorized agent.

(b) Upon the conviction of any person for any violation of any provision of this chapter, any regulation issued by the commissioner or any regulation issued by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service under the provisions of section 26-91 or any of the provisions of section 53-204, 53-205, 53a-109 or 53a-115 to 53a-117, inclusive, or upon the forfeiture of any bond taken upon any complaint, or upon the payment of any fine for an infraction pursuant to section 51-164n, a license, registration or permit issued pursuant to this chapter to such person by the commissioner and the right to obtain any such license, registration or permit may, for a first violation or infraction, be suspended by the commissioner for not more than one year, and such permit, license or registration, together with the flag or other insignia issued by the commissioner, shall be surrendered to the commissioner or his authorized agent, except that for a violation of any provision of section 26-85 such permit or license or the privilege to obtain such permit or license shall be suspended for not less than one year nor more than two years. For a second violation of any of said laws or regulations the commissioner may suspend any such permit, license or registration and the right to obtain any such permit, license or registration for not more than two years, except that for a second violation of any provision of section 26-85 the suspension period shall be not less than two years nor more than five years; for a third violation or infraction the commissioner may suspend any such permit, license or registration and the right to obtain any such permit, license or registration for not more than three years, except that for a third violation of any provision of section 26-85 the suspension period shall be not less than five years and may be indefinite; and for a fourth violation or infraction within a period of ten years, the commissioner may suspend any such permit, license or registration and the right to obtain any such permit, license or registration for an indefinite period. Upon the conviction of any person or upon the payment of any fine for an infraction pursuant to section 51-164n, for a violation of any statute or any regulation issued by the commissioner concerning hunting in proximity to buildings occupied by persons or domestic animals or used for storage of flammable or combustible materials or any statute or regulation regarding shooting towards persons, buildings or animals, the commissioner shall suspend any hunting license issued pursuant to this chapter to such person, or such person's right to obtain any such license, for a period of one year, and such license shall be surrendered to the commissioner or his authorized agent; for a second such conviction or upon the payment of a fine for a second such infraction within a period of five years, the commissioner shall suspend any such license for a period of not less than two years.

(c) Any person who, under any provision of this section, has a permit, license or registration voided or suspended or has a privilege to obtain any one or more of such permits, licenses or registrations voided or suspended may apply to the commissioner for the restoration or reinstatement of one or more of such permits, licenses or registrations or his privilege to obtain any such permit, license or registration, and the commissioner may hear such application and may restore or reinstate one or more of such permits, licenses or registrations or the privilege to obtain any such permit, license or registration.

(d) Any person who procures any permit, license or registration to which he is not entitled or engages in fishing, hunting or trapping during the period when his permit, license or registration is voided or suspended shall be fined not less than one hundred nor more than two hundred dollars and all fishing, hunting or trapping permits, licenses or registrations issued to such person shall be suspended for an indefinite period. Any person who procures any permit, license or registration to which he is not entitled or engages in fishing, hunting or trapping during the period when such permit, license or registration and the privilege to obtain such a permit, license or registration are suspended for an indefinite period shall be fined not less than two hundred dollars or be imprisoned not more than sixty days or both, and, for a further violation in case of such indefinite suspension, shall be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than one year or be both fined and imprisoned.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person who violates any regulation adopted pursuant to section 26-16 and any regulation concerning sport fishing in the marine district adopted pursuant to section 26-159a. Any person who violates such regulations shall have committed an infraction and may pay the fine by mail or plead not guilty under the provisions of section 51-164n.

(f) Any person whose hunting license is under suspension for a hunting safety violation as identified in section 26-31 shall successfully complete a remedial hunter education course as required by said section prior to any restoration or reinstatement by the commissioner of his privilege to obtain a hunting license.

(g) Any person whose privilege to hunt, trap or guide has been suspended or revoked in any jurisdiction within the United States or Canada shall be prohibited from purchasing a hunting, fishing or trapping license in this state during such period of revocation or suspension provided the offense for which such privilege was suspended or revoked is substantially similar to an offense described in sections 26-62, 26-74, 26-82 to 26-90, inclusive, 53-204 and 53-205 or the regulations adopted under section 26-66 regarding trapping, hunting before or after legal hours, hunting within five hundred feet of occupied buildings or discharging firearms toward people or across roadways. If such person has previously purchased a license to hunt, fish or trap in this state, the commissioner, after notice and hearing in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54, may suspend such license for the same period as determined in the other jurisdiction or may revoke such license if such privilege was revoked in the other jurisdiction. Such person shall surrender such license to the commissioner or the authorized agent of the commissioner. No person shall possess a license which has been suspended or revoked under this section.

(1949 Rev., S. 4883; 1953, 1955, S. 2467d; 1957, P.A. 33, S. 1; 1971, P.A. 41; 871, S. 105; 872, S. 257; P.A. 82-255, S. 3; P.A. 84-99; P.A. 91-378, S. 3; P.A. 95-119, S. 4; P.A. 97-250, S. 8; P.A. 99-136, S. 1; May 9 Sp. Sess. P.A. 02-1, S. 102.)

History: 1971 acts added references to permits, replaced reference to Secs. 26-106, 53-104, 53-108, 53-110 and 53-123 with reference to Secs. 53a-109 and 53a-115 to 53a-117 and replaced references to board of fisheries and game with references to environmental protection commissioner; P.A. 82-255 extended the license suspension period from 15 to 30 days, replaced graduated fines for procuring license to which a person is not entitled or for fishing, hunting or trapping while license is void or suspended with one fine for all cases and deemed violations of Secs. 26-16 and 26-159a infractions; P.A. 84-99 added Subsec. (a) re the suspension of a license upon the complaint of an alleged violation, created Subsecs. (b) to (e) from previously existing provisions, amended Subsec. (b) by deleting a provision requiring the suspension of a license "upon the nolle of any complaint upon the payment of any sum of money or upon a suspended judgment or a continuance nisi"; P.A. 91-378 amended Subsec. (b) to provide for minimum mandatory suspension of hunting licenses for conviction of violation of regulations re hunting in proximity to residential areas; P.A. 95-119 amended Subsec. (b) to include infractions as criteria for suspension of licenses and made suspension for a first violation discretionary and deleted a minimum suspension period of 30 days and amended Subsec. (d) to require suspension of all fish and game licenses for engaging in hunting or fishing while under suspension of the relevant license; P.A. 97-250 added new Subsec. (f) re completion of a remedial education course prior to reinstatement of privilege to obtain hunting license; P.A. 99-136 added Subsec. (g) re suspension or revocation of licenses of persons whose licenses have been suspended or revoked in certain other jurisdictions; May 9 Sp. Sess. P.A. 02-1 amended Subsec. (g) to remove reference to regulations adopted under Sec. 26-31b re guide services, effective January 1, 2003.
Fishing Info
#1188646 - 03/02/10 07:09 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
Bob G Offline

Loc: i fell off the rails
Good info Captain...thk u as always

Nothing is finer than being in South Carolina
#1188667 - 03/02/10 07:59 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Bob G]
TAKE.UM Offline

This will not be a fun year for EnCon,under staffed and over worked.
#1188672 - 03/02/10 08:07 PM Re: License suspension [Re: TAKE.UM]
CTAngler481 Offline

Loc: Westfield Ma
I broke down and bought mine for those sole reasons alone!
#1189140 - 03/03/10 10:38 PM Re: License suspension [Re: CTAngler481]
Eric D Offline

How can they suspend a license you didn't have?
#1189145 - 03/03/10 10:50 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Eric D]
chris med Offline

No REDTIDE IN PANAMA

Loc: East Lyme
Gonna be UGLY and they Guys and Gals in green are gonna take the brunt of it. Doing your job will not be easy when half the people that say they won't buy one ,..well I'll just stop.......
I as a paying citizen appreciate what you guys are trying to tackle.......No fishing license I can see and alomost tolerate,....HUNTING,..your just a plain scumbag and a detrement to an already underfire/under the microscope hobby that we all love.... oh well I'm legal so....rolleyes

NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE,..DESTROYING FISHERMAN AND THEIR FAMILIES SINCE 1978.........
www.ocearch.org

www.theriverguide.com

TEAM SERIOUSFISHING
TEAM RUMSWIZLER
TEAM RED NECK CAMPER TOURS
TEAM "NO GUN ZONE" facepalm
TEAM PANAMA
TEAM GEPSIKCEHEHTEREHW
TEAM Swizzle

www.joinrfa.com
Contact Capt Mike Marro
Bluefin Charters, Clinton Ct. 203-245-7742
www.bluefincharters.com
As if the colassal middle finger hasn't been jammed up our asses far enough, the NMFS and ASMFC carry on with their daily masterpieces of saving species in peril..........We as recreational anglers serve thanks for all the fine "work"sick you do........
Fishin Factory III
Middletown Ct
860-344-9139
www.fishinfactory3.com
www.jigheadlures.com
www.castlebaits.com

#1189215 - 03/04/10 01:23 AM Re: License suspension [Re: Eric D]
Joe.G Offline

Originally Posted By: Eric D
How can they suspend a license you didn't have?

They can suspend your right to get one after you've been convicted and fined...I may not agree with the law but making a choice to not follow it is not an option. There are many ways to voice and exercise yours/mine dissatisfaction regarding these new changes.

If you can afford to fish you can afford a license. Lets face it, fishing is not a cheap activity.

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

http://www.stalkerbait.com/

#1189273 - 03/04/10 11:22 AM Re: License suspension [Re: Joe.G]
shadbody Offline

Lets put it this way, I read in the paper most people having car accidents in Bridgeport are driving with a suspended lic. and no insurance which are bigger fines than fishing with out one. They will never pay the fine or go to court. They don't care. Take away their fishing stuff when caught.
#1189275 - 03/04/10 11:29 AM Re: License suspension [Re: Joe.G]
gerg Offline

A lot of people like to complain about the court system, and how nobody ever gets convicted of anything serious.

That is, until they screw up and go through it themselves. It becomes very serious, very fast. You think you can beat a conviction when you have a CO appearing in court against you? The judge has heard from guys like you a hundred times this week, and thousands of times this year. He won't even be looking at you while you are talking. HE is looking at his court budget and seeing how much more in fines he needs to meet payroll.

What was that you said, the license fees were too high? Is that your defense?

Ok, so you think because you have no record you will beat the rap? Well, hire a lawyer, $1500 later he will get some kind of reduced charge for you.

Boy, you got off really easy on that rap. wink2

Well behaved boats rarely make history.....
#1189286 - 03/04/10 11:47 AM Re: License suspension [Re: gerg]
LegalFish Offline

Loc: Bristol
Well put Greg! I couldn't have said it better myself and I work in a criminal court everyday!
#1189288 - 03/04/10 11:50 AM Re: License suspension [Re: gerg]
MikeG Offline

Loc: NW CT
Having a suspended fishing/hunting license sucks !!!! I was young and dumb once........ banghead 2 minor offenses in one season took my license away for a awhile over 20 years ago.DO NOT RISK IT !

I have not purchased any licenses yet this year for this state or any other.I have not fished in months.

I will stage my own protest by holding out as long as possible on purchasing a license,I will also mainly fish over the border in Mass and spend the majority of my fishing budget out of state.I will eventually purchase my CT fishing/hunting license but not until the day before I need it.
#1189319 - 03/04/10 01:36 PM Re: License suspension [Re: MikeG]
SWMPYNKE Offline

I agree with all that's been said, your only possible defense is to show up in dirty work clothes and forget how to speak english!!
#1189322 - 03/04/10 01:56 PM Re: License suspension [Re: SWMPYNKE]
gerg Offline

Actually your only defense is to show up and hope the CO doesn't.

Otherwise, you are going to get a judgment holding you responsible. You will have 20 days to pay the clerk. Failure to do that will earn you a bench warrant.

You will get a free ride to see the judge again however. wink2

#1189328 - 03/04/10 02:09 PM Re: License suspension [Re: gerg]
Bob Bradley Offline

I may have found a solution to this. I just got a slip in Rhode Island for the season, so my boat and my money will be going there.

You know...where the water is clean and the fish live.

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
#1189339 - 03/04/10 02:52 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Bob Bradley]
gerg Offline

Welcome to the hood Bob!!!!

6 fluke at 19.5 inches.......

Congrats on the slip. Is it at the yacht club?

#1189369 - 03/04/10 05:15 PM Re: License suspension [Re: gerg]
Bob Bradley Offline

Westerly Yacht Club. Prettiest sunsets in the East, and a heck of a lot closer to the offshore action than New Haven. I was building fluke rigs til midnight last night - just about done making spreader bars and shark rigs for the season.

Can you tell I'm getting itchy here?

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
#1189385 - 03/04/10 06:13 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
Louie-Louie Online   content

Loc: Union, Conn.-Westerly RI
Congrats. We can probably hook up some time. I launch out of the Pawcatuck River and go right by you on my way out. Remember my buddy (also Louie), who belongs and has a slip there, we all met at the off shore night.
Did you change your last name and tell them you were Italian like us to get in?
P.S. Your gonna have to teach me how to use that spreader bar.
#1189418 - 03/04/10 08:03 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Bob Bradley]
gerg Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Bradley
Westerly Yacht Club. Prettiest sunsets in the East, and a heck of a lot closer to the offshore action than New Haven. I was building fluke rigs til midnight last night - just about done making spreader bars and shark rigs for the season.

Can you tell I'm getting itchy here?

How sweet it is. I know you've wanted to get in there, congrats!!!!

Hopefully the squid will be here on time this year!

#1189419 - 03/04/10 08:04 PM Re: License suspension [Re: gerg]
Eric D Offline

Originally Posted By: gerg/greg
A lot of people like to complain about the court system, and how nobody ever gets convicted of anything serious.

That is, until they screw up and go through it themselves. It becomes very serious, very fast. You think you can beat a conviction when you have a CO appearing in court against you? The judge has heard from guys like you a hundred times this week, and thousands of times this year. He won't even be looking at you while you are talking. HE is looking at his court budget and seeing how much more in fines he needs to meet payroll.

What was that you said, the license fees were too high? Is that your defense?

Ok, so you think because you have no record you will beat the rap? Well, hire a lawyer, $1500 later he will get some kind of reduced charge for you.

Boy, you got off really easy on that rap. wink2

I love it...All because the state didn't get their 40 bucks...
#1189486 - 03/04/10 10:35 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
PG Offline

Me I am buying a license and I am keeping lots more fish this year for dinner. This will offset the cost pretty quickly.

PG
#1189832 - 03/06/10 01:01 PM Re: License suspension [Re: LegalFish]
Waterboy Offline

Loc: Terryville
Currently I'm learning Spanish to beat the rap...........
#1190280 - 03/08/10 04:38 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Waterboy]
Bruiser360 Offline

Loc: New Milford
Originally Posted By: Waterboy

This seems to be the most effective way of getting out of anything one can do wrong. Congratulations on your foresight to avoid all things that require legal documentation to be involved in, thereby avoiding both license fees and any penalties involved with not having a license.
I would suggest that one of your learned phrases be that not only do you only speak Spanish, but that you can't read Spanish or English. That should pretty much cover all of the bases.

I, like some others, will be buying my licenses as I need them and will weigh the need to buy them as the time approaches.
#1190282 - 03/08/10 04:48 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Bruiser360]
SouthBound Offline

Loc: Glastonbury,Ct
Boy oh boy ed. Your something else man.Well your broski nateski is right behind you with his plumbing skills.

Encon I hope you nab every single guy who doesnt have a licence. I think you should post every single name someplace. Make it known.

Encon just a thought. This might help a little any chance of having to have the licence visable on a hat or clothes? Might help out some Key word some.
#1192430 - 03/15/10 12:13 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Waterboy]
W.G. Offline

Waterboy, Learn it to fish New Haven. You'll be in the loop w/ DeStefano, the fruitcake.

"We make a living by what we get.
We make a life by what we give."
'Winston Churchill'

Dee's Bait & Tackle,
93 Clay St.,New Haven
(203)562-7025

#1192438 - 03/15/10 12:26 PM Re: License suspension [Re: LegalFish]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Not buying a license is NOT the answer.
but paying too much for one is NOT the correct response either mad1

I cut out the following = $112
state land shotgun
state land muzzleloader
small game
private land gun (unless I have a good opportunity...which has never happened, yet is a theoretically possibility)

Edited by Jighead (03/15/10 12:30 PM)

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#1192536 - 03/15/10 06:23 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Jighead]
kx724 Offline

Shut Up and Fish!

Loc: Newtown, CT / Watch Hill, RI
I would not mind paying the fee so much if it did not go into the "General Fund". Come on CT put the money to what we are buying these licenses for!
#1192545 - 03/15/10 06:58 PM Re: License suspension [Re: kx724]
swwind Offline

I'm getting my SW license but not until the day I need it.

And to best honest - IMHO all the stuff about speaking spanish to beat the rap is just not that cool, it takes away from the overall quality of the site and probably discourages others from posting on the thread started by Encon.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1192623 - 03/15/10 10:19 PM Re: License suspension [Re: swwind]
waynesworld Offline

Loc: Pedasi,Panama
I have no problem with a license if it goes to pay for something that benifits the fishing but if it's because the state is in financial trouble and it's just going to the general fund isn't this more of a taxation w/out representation issue?? I think this state is out of control with ALL of it's license fees including occupational licenses!!

"that aint bottom! you got a fish!!

http://hahaiguana.blogspot.com/

#1192634 - 03/15/10 10:36 PM Re: License suspension [Re: waynesworld]
jonh Offline

FUBO

I bought my saltwater license today. I would have waited until the last minute, but I am betting these jackals will raise the fee before the season starts. It really pisses me off that its going to the general fund to support welfare programs, but I can't take time off to fight this in court. It is taxation without representation. When the revolution starts, I will be there.

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#1192641 - 03/15/10 10:51 PM Re: License suspension [Re: waynesworld]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Originally Posted By: waynesworld
I think this state is out of control with ALL of it's license fees including occupational licenses!!

I took a night class in 1996 on economic. The professor was raving mad about fees! He said if they dont get you in a tax they will nail you in a fee! "The hidden tax".

10 bucks for a saltwater license is bearable. You cant start a boat without dropping 10 bucks so in the grand scheme of things who cares. Keep fuel prices down so I can drive my truck to the boat and afford to run a boat once I get there!

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1192673 - 03/15/10 11:40 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Crazy Ivan]
kx724 Offline

Shut Up and Fish!

Loc: Newtown, CT / Watch Hill, RI
Originally Posted By: Crazy Ivan
Keep fuel prices down so I can drive my truck to the boat and afford to run a boat once I get there!

AMEN TO THAT!
#1192820 - 03/16/10 03:06 PM Re: License suspension [Re: kx724]
SWMPYNKE Offline

Political correctness is killing this country and just plain "SUCKS"!!! Let's bury our head in the sand and pretend a very obvious injustice to all who buy a license and follow the fish and game laws doesn't exist- yeah I worry someone might be offended by this and not "contribute" to this thread, yeah, right!!!
#1192836 - 03/16/10 03:39 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Jighead]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Jighead
Not buying a license is NOT the answer.

I agree at this point. But, what if nothing changes in a year or two ? Or, it gets worse ?

WWJD ?

#1192950 - 03/16/10 11:09 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Jeremiah G]
Eric D Offline

What I don't get is why people think your doing such a terrible thing by not getting one. It's not like a drivers, boaters or hunting license. A fishing license more of a receipt. You don't need to do anything to get one. It's really up to the person if they want to deal with consequences or not.
#1192977 - 03/16/10 11:38 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Eric D]
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
Originally Posted By: Eric D
So it's really up to the person if they want to deal with consequences if they get caught.

Exactly !! If someone wants to take the risk, it's their god given right. There is no litmus test for getting a license, other than your hard earned cash.

Remember people, we get NOTHING for this license. Absolutely freakin' nothing. No more enforcement, stocking, research, NADA.....just taxation without representation.

#1193006 - 03/17/10 12:31 AM Re: License suspension [Re: John from Madison CT]
O-BASS Offline

its a total joke at this point.

the responsible pay, and get nothing in return. the irresponsible keep doing what they always do (drag, poach, polute) and nothing happens.

its time to take a stand, and do what is needed to prove the point...take that however you want.

our officers arent the bad guys. they're the ones getting screwed as well. our agencies who fight for and protect our resources recieve nothing from the money collected from fees.

this combined with the overregulated and largely unneeded saltwater situation, the inflated freshwater situation, and the reckloose commercial dragger regulations?!?!?

show the state you mean business...fight them in court if need be until they give the dep the money directly, and they give us the rights we deserve at a price that covers the true costs of our investment; not inflated by the poor decisions on capitol hill.

no more parking lots and soccer fields with fishing money!!
#1193028 - 03/17/10 01:18 AM Re: License suspension [Re: O-BASS]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

I hate to day this......but even if they give 100% of hunting and fishing license revenue to the DEP. They will just turn around and reduce any other contributions they make to the DEP budget by exactly that figure anyway.

There is a whole lot more to the DEP than just hunting and fishing when you separate the pollution control side of the house for example.

What percentage of the total DEP budget really goes toward hunting and fishing anyway?

Does license revenue exceed the related expenses to run these programs or fall short?

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#1193095 - 03/17/10 11:59 AM Re: License suspension [Re: Jighead]
Joe.G Offline

I agree that its every persons right. The same theory applies in most adult oriented functions. How many people choose to not get a boating license, drivers license etc. Hell, the fees for my state license in counseling has doubled over the past two years. I know the example is over the edge but it all still comes down to choice. There is representation, it may not be justifiable to you or I but its there.

I would add that imo political correctness has certainly went over the top but blatant racism is not acceptable.

Today I will show my support in Hartford as hard as it is for me to manipulate my schedule. Its obvious that this is the only answer. It may not turn out that this year any change occurs but developing an organization of this nature takes time and good leadership.

It is time now, today will be a step in the right direction. We need a voice, a Charlton Heston if you will. I'm sure this is not just a CT issue

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

#1195091 - 03/23/10 08:34 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Joe.G]
scooter72 Offline

Loc: Windham,CT
New license prices SUCK. I could see a 5 buck or so increase, but doubling it??

BUT, I'd rather not lose my priveledges, so I guess I gotta buy one. Like other people said, breaking the law is not the answer.

You can say anything foolish to a dog, and that dog will still give you a look that says, "WOW!! What a great idea!! I never would have thought of that!!"

Some people are born on third base, then spend the rest of their lives thinking they hit a triple.
#1195166 - 03/24/10 12:57 AM Re: License suspension [Re: Waterboy]
BHansenSFD Offline

Loc: North Haven, CT
Originally Posted By: Waterboy

While I understand the joke the comments regarding spanish speaking people are getting real old. My wife is Colombian and her and her entire family are outstanding people and all of her uncles are outstanding sportsmen. There are plenty of people that speak other languages to include english that are just as guilty of these offenses.

I cant stand people who break the laws regarding hunting and fishing and hate people that try to cheat the regs. I do as much as I can to help out the DEP by keeping my eyes open while on the water and I have called on as many english speaking people as I have spanish speaking people.

I find it ironic that people that people in here that speak english are talking about learning spanish so they can get out of a violation for not buying a license.

It is not my intention to single you out Waterboy as I do understand the humor and I only quoted your comment as an example of the many comments that I think are in poor taste due to the frequency and focus on one group of individuals.

Edited by BHansenSFD (03/24/10 01:06 AM)
#1195169 - 03/24/10 01:02 AM Re: License suspension [Re: scooter72]
Captbillb Offline

Loc: Grassy Key, Islamorada, Deerfi...
Just wondering if the DEP CO's will pay as much attention to the RAMPART poaching that goes on out of the Pawcatuck River as they will checking to see who doesn't have a rec license.
Eight years of complaints... basically, zero results.
I've heard every excuse under the sun why no action has been taken from every level of the DEP.
This is the first public airing of that fact. All I can say is that KNOWN poachers keep doing their nefarious deeds- mosstly during the hours of darkness.... the rec license enforcement issue becomes a total joke.

Edited by Captbillb (03/24/10 01:03 AM)
#1195257 - 03/24/10 12:07 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Captbillb]
EnCon Police Offline

"Eight years of complaints....basically, zero results."?

We have had eleven (11) complaints on the Pawcatuck River since 2000. Of those eleven (11) complaints, ten (10) were incidents generated by officers patrolling the area, seeing a violation and taking action. Of those ten (10) incidents, six (6) resulted in arrests and four (4) resulted in written warnings.

One (1) of the eleven (11) complaints was called in by an anonymous person. I guess that one complaint is the eight years worth of complaints with zero results.

Bill we've had this conversation before - if you have information regarding violations either call it in when you see it or contact our Marine Headquarters, talk to an officer and provide them with the information.
#1206779 - 04/28/10 11:26 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
capt.crunch Offline

Loc: Bristol ct
I know one guy I worked with who got cought fishing in a reservoir . Game wardens caught him, took and suspended his licence.
He just went to Walmart and got a new one and was fishing the next day. He did this twice.
No one checks.

capt.crunch
#1207101 - 04/30/10 12:15 AM Re: License suspension [Re: capt.crunch]

OffshoreFishingGear.com

I finally bought my license. Careful inspection of the DEP book showed that fishing without a license is a $77 fine.

Having a license and forgetting it at home, or in your car, is also a $77 fine. Nice........real nice.

#1207109 - 04/30/10 12:31 AM Re: License suspension [Re: John from Madison CT]
Riptide Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
Is it OK to keep the saltwater license on the boat but not displayed?
I dont want to be fined 77 dollars..
#1207296 - 04/30/10 05:15 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Riptide]
Buck Offline

I always had the problem of forgetting my license when you only had the one little piece of paper. If I remembered to look for it I could not find it. Was it in my hunting back pack, on my fishing vest, in my trout bag, on the boat somewhere, etc.
Now with online licensing I just print out a dozen copies and keep one copy everywhere I need one. One in the wallet, one on the boat, one in my hunting crap, one in the car, etc. Online licensing is the best thing that happened to sports folks.
#1207304 - 04/30/10 05:49 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Buck]
Murph Offline

Loc: CT. Got a problem with that?
also, if you have a fancy phone, you can make a digital image of your license and store it on the phone

If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.

#1207508 - 05/01/10 01:05 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Murph]
thevinman Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Worst case, lets say your forgot your piece of paper...Why is not just providing your conservation ID enough? (One can scribble that number on anything and keep it with you.) Can't the DEP officers verify the licence number in the field?

Along the same lines...what's the DEP's stance on:

Licence replication/alteration (ie. shrunk to fit in your wallet?)
or as Murph mentioned, digital storage? (Iphone licence, etc.)

Basically all of the above is just another way of providing one key bit of info...the conservation ID.

This is what I did - (shrunk, signed and laminated)

Would an officer have issues with shrinkage? grin

Thoughts?

-Vinny
My Profile

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

#1207745 - 05/02/10 10:43 AM Re: License suspension [Re: thevinman]

OffshoreFishingGear.com

I guess a lot depends on the mood of the officer.

I'm just telling you what I read in the rule book.

#1207763 - 05/02/10 12:46 PM Re: License suspension [Re: John from Madison CT]
shellback Offline

As long as the officer can read it I'm sure it would OK. As far as having the saltwater license displayed- No need to display it, just needs to be carried
#1207796 - 05/02/10 02:38 PM Re: License suspension [Re: shellback]
thevinman Offline

Can someone tell the DEP system guys to make the output "wallet" friendly? (Just make the dimensions so its foldable to fit the standard wallet card size...it's seriously not rocket science.)

For crying out loud, how much $$ did we spend on a "state-of-the-art" online system, just to botch the output???

Come on guys!

-Vinny
My Profile

#1207821 - 05/02/10 04:12 PM Re: License suspension [Re: thevinman]
Buck Offline

I got checked last night at Squantz Pond and I have multiple copies scattered around in my hunting back pack, car, boats, fishing bags and one in my back tag. She seemed happy to see any of them as long as she could read the detail.
Using the online system and being able to make multiple copies saves my butt because with only one license I was always forgetting it when both hunting and fishing were on. It was always in the wrong bag. Now there is always one in my wallet. Wallet size would be nice, I have to figure out the reducing buttons on my printer/copier.
#1208632 - 05/04/10 01:06 PM Re: License suspension [Re: thevinman]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: thevinmanfxst
Worst case, lets say your forgot your piece of paper...Why is not just providing your conservation ID enough? (One can scribble that number on anything and keep it with you.) Can't the DEP officers verify the licence number in the field?

Along the same lines...what's the DEP's stance on:

Licence replication/alteration (ie. shrunk to fit in your wallet?)
or as Murph mentioned, digital storage? (Iphone licence, etc.)

Basically all of the above is just another way of providing one key bit of info...the conservation ID.

This is what I did - (shrunk, signed and laminated)

Would an officer have issues with shrinkage? grin

Thoughts?

Sec. 26-35. Expiration date. License not transferable. Restrictions. Wildlife management
study area. Each firearms hunting, archery hunting, trapping or sport fishing license or the
combination firearms hunting and fishing license, except licenses issued pursuant to subdivisions (7) and (10) of subsection (a) of section 26-28, shall expire December thirty-first next following the date of issue and shall not be transferable. No person shall change or alter such a license or loan to another or permit another to have or use such license issued to himself or use any license issued to another. All licenses shall be carried as designated by the commissioner at all times when such licensee is hunting, trapping or sport fishing and shall be produced for examination upon demand of any conservation officer or other employee of the department designated by the commissioner or any other officer authorized to make arrests or the owner or lessee or the agent of any owner or lessee of any land or water upon which such licensed person may be found.

P.A. 91-3 deleted provision requiring the commissioner to provide a license holder and deleted provision requiring a license holder to display the license on his outer clothing while hunting, fishing or trapping;

Digital photo of license does not meet the requirement to carry it. With the new system you can print out multiple copies and have them on your boat, in your wallet, in your tackle box, in your pocket and in your vehicle, so there really is not a reasonable excuse for not carrying it. As far as size, I fold my license to fit in my wallet.

By the way..not carrying your license is a $77 fine.

Edited by EnCon Police (05/04/10 01:07 PM)
#1208649 - 05/04/10 01:50 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
thevinman Offline

oh well...thanks Encon! Looks like I'll stuff a few original copies around just in case.

(still think the licence size needs to be addressed, though. You do have to admit it's an awkward dimension.)

BTW - I have the Maine digital licence and it's even bigger and more awkward, so we are not the only state with origami challenged systems people!

-Vinny
My Profile

#1208650 - 05/04/10 01:53 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
Joe.G Offline

Thanks Encon...I did the same with mine..and if it tears then I simply take one of the other 20 copies I printed, sign it and put it back in.

Also, as Buck pointed out I have a license in my boats, my cars, my wallet and one tackle-bag. Thanks for the clarification. I much prefer this method of licensing.

#1208660 - 05/04/10 02:24 PM Re: License suspension [Re: thevinman]
BHansenSFD Offline

Loc: North Haven, CT

(still think the licence size needs to be addressed, though. You do have to admit it's an awkward dimension.)

How small do you want the thing to be? Mine is smaller than my drivers license and could be folded to any dimension. It is just a piece of paper. You can fold it to any shape and size you want. I think there are bigger and better issues for the DEP to worry about before they get to license size. They deal with enough crap over all this license BS.

Thanks to the DEP officers for all the hard work they do and all the ball breaking they have to endure while none of it is their fault and they are grossly understaffed!

Edited by BHansenSFD (05/04/10 02:26 PM)
#1208671 - 05/04/10 02:51 PM Re: License suspension [Re: BHansenSFD]
natedog Offline

Loc: Old Saybrook, CT
Captain Camejo,

Thank you very much for proactively providing information on this website so that all who are interested may benefit from a better understanding of the current regs.

I very much appreciate the job the DEP is trying to do in controlling poachers and other law breakers, I also appreciate the challenge the DEP must face everyday in trying to enforce a set of unpopular laws.

Best Regards,
Nate Minegar

Old Saybrook Firefighter
#1208790 - 05/04/10 09:10 PM Re: License suspension [Re: BHansenSFD]
thevinman Offline

Originally Posted By: BHansenSFD

How small do you want the thing to be? Mine is smaller than my drivers license and could be folded to any dimension. It is just a piece of paper. You can fold it to any shape and size you want. I think there are bigger and better issues for the DEP to worry about before they get to license size. They deal with enough crap over all this license BS.

sorry for even mentioning it...jeez.

-Vinny
My Profile

#1208846 - 05/04/10 11:58 PM Re: License suspension [Re: BHansenSFD]
Bruiser360 Offline

Loc: New Milford
Originally Posted By: BHansenSFD

Thanks to the DEP officers for all the hard work they do and all the ball breaking they have to endure while none of it is their fault and they are grossly understaffed!

Lighten up Francis!
#1244362 - 08/24/10 01:01 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Bruiser360]
Hooked006 Offline

Loc: Lisbon, CT
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I came up with this license prototype a couple of years ago with the intentions of posting it here and never got around to it. IF the licensing ever went to a drivers license format (plastic, good for multiple years), here is my idea of what it could look like..

Soon after I made this (in 2008), I printed one out and started carrying it around with me to show to people and see what they thought of it. I was actually approached by an Encon officer at Lake Wintergreen in Hamden and I pulled this out instead of my real one to see what he would say. Interestingly, he thought it was real and commented on how he hadn't seen one yet and how great the new design looked. At this point I told him it wasn't legit and I handed him my real one. The one I printed up had all of the exact information, but since he had no way of verifying the it, I could have put whatever I wanted on there. I think the system is flawed, although I don't see it changing anytime soon; I understand it's not a top priority and the people who want to cheat the system are going to cheat anyway. I'm not knocking the officers either, I'm happy every time I see them out there doing their job. I'm just posting my experience and opinion. smile1
#1244374 - 08/24/10 02:00 PM Re: License suspension [Re: Hooked006]
meatdog Offline
I gots ya meatdogs right here

Loc: SE CT
Looks cool, however for those of us that end up a half dozen or more lines deep under "Privileges' it's be too small. Maybe rotate vertically?

Dave

Edited by meatdog (08/24/10 02:01 PM)

Edited by SoundsFishy
#1405731 - 04/08/12 11:02 AM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
FishnTechnician Offline

Quote:
I may have found a solution to this. I just got a slip in Rhode Island for the season, so my boat and my money will be going there.

You know...where the water is clean and the fish live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Luddite

I have to agree with that. I am going to RI for 2 weeks in August and spending alot of cash up there of course. They are just more angler friendly and have better fishig opportunities. I am looking for a small cape in PJ area if anyone knows of anything.

...Frank...Born to Fish smile1 Forced to Work frown
#1405742 - 04/08/12 11:33 AM Re: License suspension [Re: SWMPYNKE]
buckcall Offline

Originally Posted By: SWMPYNKE
I agree with all that's been said, your only possible defense is to show up in dirty work clothes and forget how to speak english!!

No no no..when you don't speak english you don't even get the ticket to begin with...Happens all yr long in new haven along the river.

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
#1405750 - 04/08/12 11:55 AM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
gerg Offline

All you guys moving to RI is gonna solidify its bad name. wink2

#1405760 - 04/08/12 12:15 PM Re: License suspension [Re: EnCon Police]
Tmack9200 Offline

Loc: City of Champions...
The Key with RI is not to move your boat there, but to buy your boat and register it there, then you don't have to pay sales tax...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics