ctfisherman.com logo
Page 6 of 43 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#792461 - 03/17/07 06:36 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
ScubaSteve Offline
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

Loc: Plainville, CT
It's funny to see all the comments about people being rude. My buddy visits me here from SoCal once a year and he can't believe how nice people are to him. He almost died in disbelief one day when we were walking down a path and came across an old lady. She said hi to us and showed no sign of concern for us. In SoCal, she would've veered off the path, clutching her purse against her chest, until we went by, staring at us in anticipation that we would try to harm her.

I'm just glad CT isn't stuck on just material things. In SoCal, it is all about what you have and showing it off to everyone. It's normal in SoCal to have a tricked out vehicle, house you can't afford, and expensive clothes, all on a mediocre salary. I just wasn't in to all that.

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Fishing Info
#792462 - 03/17/07 06:48 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
bigtoad Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe.G:
If you want to discuss taxes with me you better bring a bottle of tequila \:D . Peace bro [/QB]
Count me in for that.
I'll bring the Patron! :p

Someday I will get paid to fish, for now I have to work.
#792463 - 03/17/07 06:51 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
bigtoad Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dusty:
[QB] Joe,
I may come off as an a$$hole many times,
.................................................cricket..........................................cricket..........................................

\:D

Someday I will get paid to fish, for now I have to work.
#792464 - 03/17/07 06:52 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
hsb Offline
Ice is for bourbon

Loc: Ft Mill, SC
ScubaSteve, I see exactly what you are talking about at work all the time. New person comes in quickly everyone wants to know a couple of things about you realy quick A) Where do you live and B) What is your heritage. The based on that they start to make judgements about you, also you get judged by what kind of car you drive, maybe not what type of clothes you wear, but I have had people ask out right how we paid for our house. I am not saying all are like that, but here if you do not live in Madison, Guilford, you are lower than them.

Kevin D. (aka Capt-Livewell)
Life's new motto: In chaos and in chaos

http://mylittlebuddysboat.com/
#792465 - 03/17/07 07:08 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
speaking of a$$holes...nice of you to chime in mike :p :p

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#792466 - 03/17/07 07:14 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
DAS Offline

Like most people answered....I was born and raised here. The Navy took me away for some years, but I was ready to come back "home".

David Santos
Environmental Director
CT B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
www.ctbass.com
#792467 - 03/17/07 07:18 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Mitch P. Offline

Great thread.

Staying is a 2-parter for me:

1. Easy access to a nice quality of life. For a small state, there is a very diverse selection of cities, types of housing, jobs, entertainment, restaurants, big cities (NY & Boston)...and of course...fishing opportunities. \:D Whatever you want, you can find it around here. It may cost you, but it's there.

2. Ties to family and friends

I've thought about a move down south. Still thinking about it. I think I'd miss the ice-fishing too much, though.

I'll be in NC next week visiting my mother. Every time I go, it's both frustrating/appealing to think of what you can get for your money down there.

If I had to pick the biggest negative for our state (especially where I live, in southern Fairfield county), it's the traffic. It effects going to work, going fishing, or going anywhere. I can find a way to deal with every other negative in our state, but I don't see any real solutions being posed to solve the traffic problem. I only see it getting worse and worse every year. It really can take it's toll on you, especially if you commute every day.
#792468 - 03/17/07 08:04 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
scooter72 Offline

Loc: Windham,CT
Well...it certainly isn't the cheap cost of living up here, thats for sure.
And it isn't family, since most of mine lives in Florida. Whenever I go there to visit my dad, I'm absolutely blown away by the hospitality. I once drove him up here from down there, and we both noticed that literally every time we stopped, the farther north we got, people got more and more rude. By the time we got to DC I was wondering if I should have packed heat.
Maybe a coincidence, I guess I'd buy that- but it was very apparent.
I guess that for me it's the diversity- we're close to the shore, close to heavily wooded areas, close to Gillete Stadium and Fenway (yes that does count to me).
We have considered moving north, northern New Hampshire has always been a favorite vacation spot of ours- but the job market up there is not even close to what I make down here.
I do like it down South, but I couldnt stand the heat all year round. And the bugs...some of the spiders I saw in Florida stole my shaving kit, and hijacked the car...
I guess I'm just a native New Englander, and this is where I find a happy medium.

You can say anything foolish to a dog, and that dog will still give you a look that says, "WOW!! What a great idea!! I never would have thought of that!!"

Some people are born on third base, then spend the rest of their lives thinking they hit a triple.
#792469 - 03/17/07 08:14 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch P.:
If I had to pick the biggest negative for our state (especially where I live, in southern Fairfield county), it's the traffic. It effects going to work, going fishing, or going anywhere. I can find a way to deal with every other negative in our state, but I don't see any real solutions being posed to solve the traffic problem. I only see it getting worse and worse every year. It really can take it's toll on you, especially if you commute every day.
Wait till they get the toll booths put in \:o \:o

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#792470 - 03/17/07 08:48 PM Re: Why do you live in CT???
SeaBassKit Offline

Loc: Mystic CT
Once, (Many years ago) I asked my Grandfather why our family never moved to someplace warm and nice to live. His reply became the party line: "Son you come from good old Connecticut 'Swamp-Yankee' heritage... that means that you're too stubborn to move, and too dumb to know any better" Guess that explains why I'm still here>
Page 6 of 43 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42 43 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics