Offshore Safety Question

My 29' center console weighs about 11,000 pounds when under way, and like all boats without a heavy self rigthing keel (as some sailboats have) is subject to capsize type foundering if it takes on too much water.

I'll be carrying a raft this summer, one packed in a soft portable case, stowed in a forward hold most of the time. In the event of a problem, standard operating procedure is to stay with the boat as long as possible. My understanding is that hull breach related founderings, for example, especially in heavy weather, result in sudden, possibly even violent, capsize at some point. This is, of course, also true for any other sequence of events that results in a lot of water inside the hull.

If faced with such a hull breach, and inevitable capsize, when would you deploy the raft, and when would you abandon the boat for the raft?

I'm not too keen on the idea of staying in the boat when I know at some point it will flip. My thoughts are..... deploy the raft as soon as it is clear the pumps will be overwhelmed. Get in the raft but stay tethered to the boat, ready to cut away should the boat go down and the built in automatic raft breakaway fail. To be clear, my thought is to stay with the boat but in the raft under these circumstances.

A little more background on my boat. It has two low bilge pumps, one fore and one aft, and a high water bilge pump aft. I'm having a high water audible alarm installed aft now. All through hulls fittings are steel and equipped with ball valve shut offs.

Any thoughts?

Moderators, please move this post, or don't, as you deem appropriate.

�Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.�
-- Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea