Thanks for the reply!

Boat is a 32' combi and (even with some customizing of the trim tabs) likes to ride with the bow up pretty high unless running at full cruise rpm's. So I'd hate to put it on the cabin top/deck. But even with a rather large bottle of halon in the engine room I agree that a fire is a possibility (like fuel hitting turbo) and wouldn't want to keep it down below.

The front of the lowest level of the tower (soft top) protrudes out towards the bow enough from the next level up (floor of the tower) that I would think that something could be fabricated to mount the bracket to. Radar is on the next level up as well so the canister wouldn't be in the way of the beam.

We already have a stocked ditch bag as well as two epirb's (figured we'd just keep the older generation cat 1 in its bracket or else we would have to patch the holes).

What is your opinion of SSB vs Sat phone? We have only been running to the near offshore the last few season but would like to hit the canyons if the fish (and regulations) cooperate.