Jeff & Hoog,
Yep,, you're 100% correct, a SSB is definitely a worth-while investment. Many of the boats that I've taken to the canyons and other distant places in the world were so equipped. Basically a ham (150 W) setup on the boat with vast transmitting capability. If you've got to scream for help, it's nice to know that you're putting out a signal that can be heard a long ways off.
The only problem with SSB's is that, unless you're running frequently to canyons or doing MANY offshore trips, the cost of a SSB and antennae system that performs well will be roughly around $1500.00 on the low end of the spectrum (with simplex and duplex channel capability). Some are cheaper,, but you generally pay more for performance and ease of operation with the SSB sets. You also must have the space and capability on a boat to install the big wand. The majority of the boats on this board don't fall within that category.
Mega-yachts have satellite communications systems that cost $$$$- big domes on big boats. They are the ultimate communications setup,, but space, size, and price would preclude this option for most everyone on the CTF board.
Top end VHF's will reach out as far as 50 miles,, boat to boat,, on a GOOD day with an antennae mounted with good height (transmission distance being a function of height).
It'd be even odds if the CG would hear you on a rough day if you're more than that distance off. I'm typically in contact with several other boats well within 25 miles of my position on the VHF at all times- passing along fishing info or just gabbing 'on the side.' That's one of the nice things about having a multitude of 'buddies' while out upon the water,, you know that they'll probably reach you before the CG can if you get into trouble.
Sat phones have come down considerably in price,, and if you use them judiciously,, they're cost effective as you can take them wherever you might roam- land or sea. When I'm fishing out of the Keys- down into the Carribbean areas- we've found that the majority of guys who're heading well offshore have gone over to the handheld satellite phones, even with SSB aboard because of the ease, privacy, and clarity of signal. I've used them on many occassions and found that they perform pretty well, but you'll quickly learn that battery life is the most important consideration when using them. AC/DC battery chargers come with the package,, but if you go for a ride in the raft,, that option would be out of the question so be sure that you know how long the battery will hold a charge, both in use and/or storage.
Cell phones are totally 'iffy' while upon the bounding blue (other than LIS) although I've had surprisingly good service from well offshore. However, I've frequently gone into a 'roam' mode since I'm being picked up by other providers' toweres and got charged $$ for it (even though I've got nationwide service with my cell plan) and then had to battle Verizon to get the charges deleted. However, I wouldn't bet my life on a cell phone while upon the offshore arena on the outside of BI or Montauk.
From a practical standpoint, I'd go with a raft, sat phone, and the best 406 EPIRB with GPS positioning capability as my primary locater (which will be nearly instantly triangluated and allow them to come up with encripted name of vessel, operator, homeport, and contact numbers- if it's registered),, with a SSB- if and when you can afford it.
Personally, I have a raft, two 121.5's, and a 406- certified and current- EPIRBs aboard. (along with three bridge VHF's; and a handheld VHF in the ditch bag).