It's been a slow start to the season this year. I've been out four times in the last three weeks, and still no shad on the bank. Rumor has it a couple of roes were caught around Bart's this morning, but I've heard nothing but rumors.

I was out behind Bart's after work today, from about 5:pm to 7:pm. I fished with a couple of the regulars. About 5:45p somebody hooked up, but the fight didn't last long before Mr. Shad jumped and threw the hook. 10 minutes later, I had a solid hook up. It shook it's head pretty good, then ran deep, and stripped a few yards off the reel--I love that sound! We got a few looks at it, but when I felt it roll and turn at the bank, it dropped the hook. We only had a few more bumps after that, and by 6:30p it was dead.

The water wasn't too high, but it was clear and flowing pretty well. Surface temp was about 50°, air temp was a nice 66°F!

Tackle:
Rod-Ugly Stik 4'6" U/L Pro
Reel-Penn 4200 SS, spooled with 10# Power Pro

Terminal Tackle: 5/8 oz drail over a 3.5' 8# flouro leader. I got the hook up, and a couple of other bumps on a hammered gold willow painted orange with a black dot. I also tried a hammered silver willow in chartreuse w/black dot but there was no interest paid to that leaf.

I'm be out again tomorrow after work, these warm temps should get the shad moving, at least until it rains on Wednesday. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"